Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the royals aren't priveleged

(136 Posts)
pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:05:50

People keep saying this, but I wouldn't want their lives for anything. The only people I would less like to be would be people suffering abuse, or dreadful illnesses.

I don't think there should be a royal family, it's an outdated concept to have hereditary holders of power. But clearly it's not easy to get rid of, and even if we did, generations would still be scrutinised by the media as if they still were.

It looks awful, permanently being in the limelight.

You might have a great house, but no real privacy.
You'd have loads of money, OK no worries, but beyond a certain amount, what's the point?
You can't go anywhere freely, without feeling you're being watched, I'd hate that.
And you have no real choices. I know some have had military careers, but that's about it (for the main royals anyway), you can't suddenly decide to be a doctor, or teacher or whatever. Hell I'd be annoyed if someone told me I COULDN'T work on a checkout.
You can't make choices for your kids either. You can't just decide to send them to a local school and brownies, even if you think it's best for them, because of all the baggage that goes with it, and safety concerns. I would not feel like an autonomous parent in those circumstances.

I wouldn't do it for anything!

Nobody's holding a gun to their heads. If their lives are so shit they can try their luck in the outside world. They're not exactly climbing over each other to escape Balmoral are they?

Complete nonsense. Do you really think that if Harry said "bugger this, I want to work in the city and live in a nice house in Surbiton" do you think for a split second that he'd be able to do that and live a normal life? Like hell would he. He'd be hounded just as much as he is now.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:38:27

Sigh. I don't think you really understand any of the problems surrounding homelessness, do you? So it's a bit rich saying you'd prefer to be on the streets.

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 21:39:17

There used to be a lot of tramps about, or men of the road.
They used to enjoy that way of life, the "freedom" of it.
They used to enjoy not having to abide by many of societies rules.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:39:19

I was sleeping on a floor at 42 weeks pregnant, through no fault of my own, why the hell would I feel bad about that?

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:39:41

Gwendoline, they could easily go to a country where people don't give a shite about the royals.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:41:12

Whether or not it affected your self esteem, it does that of many homeless people.

It's got nothing to do with your OP, however.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:43:14

The problems SURROUNDING homelessness are alcoholism, drug abuse, learning disability, people feeling trapped into prostitution etc. i don't have any of those problems so would be purely homeless.

I have no idea whether I would cope with those problems because I've never experienced them. I have been homeless though.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:43:18

Apparently it was the impact of photography, the "media" and the railway that helped Queen Victoria become more popular. Her family weren't that popular until they could be seen.

And it's the media and how the media portray them that inform our views of them. And the mainstream media is very sycophantic - whereas foreign media know that people are interested in their celebrity status.

And that's what affects their freedom to live a life like most of us do.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:43:52

Maybe it does, I'd like to know why though.

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 21:44:10

I think she meant privileged as in "sought after" , not privileged as in getting the best of everything. iyswim.
could be wrong though.

expatinscotland Sun 03-Mar-13 21:44:19

If they are not privileged, what is your definition of it?

FGS, millions of children in this world starving, in war-torn countries, in slavery and you pity royalty?

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:44:59

How do you know the homeless people you've met didn't have low self esteem to begin with?

TiggyD Sun 03-Mar-13 21:46:11

"they could easily go to a country where people don't give a shite about the royals. "

And they would be followed. Every day. And photographed. It's why I would like to get rid of the monarchy. It's cruel. Everybody else in the public eye has chosen that way of life. The royals haven't.

Lots of privilege, lots of problems.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:46:33

Expat under your definition, we are all privileged. Which is true.

I'd like to know why people think the royals are more privileged than the rest of us who have food and safety.

expatinscotland Sun 03-Mar-13 21:46:42

They have lack of freedom? Get real!

Badvoc Sun 03-Mar-13 21:47:36

Things have changed,
I remember Charles and Diana's wedding and all the engagement hoo ha.
Every girl wanted to be her...be a princess.
Very different when will and Kate announced their engagement.
Lots of "rather you than me love" comments.
Yes, they are incredibly privileged. They own most if the uk fgs. The queen is one if the richest people in the world.
But I wouldn't swap my life for hers.

lydiamama Sun 03-Mar-13 21:49:02

I quite agree with you OP, my dream is to be rich, just filthy rich, like a million pounds at least, but completely unknown.
On the other hand, they get to travel everywhere, know very important people, artists, politician, scientist, they get to visit children in hospital, and bring a smile to them, initiate and direct charity campaigns; I think they get a very good chance of feeling really valuable in society, as they are everyday involved in these events, and some of them are really wonderful. Now I would like to go an open a brand new hospital, or take flowers to ill people and see happy faces around me for that!!

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:49:43

Exactly Tiggy - when we are born, our lives our ours to choose what to do. We can muck them up or make the most of them.
But we have the freedom. They have the privilege that comes with being Royal which is an incredible advantage to most people.

But Kate and William's baby has a pre-destined life - and a sense of duty will be ingrained into them from when they are young.

Who want's a pre-destined life?

expatinscotland Sun 03-Mar-13 21:50:05

'I'd like to know why people think the royals are more privileged than the rest of us who have food and safety.'

Is it possible to be so obtuse that that is not patently obvious? hmm

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:50:12

<wants not want's, I'm a teacher FFS>

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:51:43

Ask yourself what you have done in your life that a Royal could not have done.

That's the freedom you have.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:54:05

Lack of freedom, what bollocks.

Not being able to get the bus to town because you don't have the fair is lack of freedom.

I'm not arguing about homelessness with you. It has nothing to do with the issue and I think it is incredibly offensive to say you'd rather be on the streets than a royal.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:55:22

The fare, obv.

Talkinpeace Sun 03-Mar-13 21:55:58

When Diana died the Daily Mail said that it would never use a Paparazzi photo again.

The ENTIRE right hand side of their website comprises long lens photos
I just wish that the "targets" would snap back and point out how shitty it is to paddle with your kids while 200 gigantic lenses watch.

Yeah, the royals holiday a lot. They always did but now shits with phones on mustique or in Switzerland show it.
If nobody turns up to their events, they will stop coming, the choice is in your hands not theirs.

WTF are the press printing pics of them off duty. Would you like it
if you work for the council or the army or the DSS ...
your wages are paid by the state, you are no better or worse than them
shall I put pictures of YOU online ?

landofsoapandglory Sun 03-Mar-13 21:57:01

They most definitely are privileged.

I like the Queen and wouldn't want her live, but you can not deny that they are priviledged.

Kate winds me up, though. She is meant to be too il to do many engagements, but has just come back from Mystique and is now in the Alps! I wish DH's military career was suitably adapted so he could have as much time off as William!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now