To think that the royals aren't priveleged

(136 Posts)
pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:05:50

People keep saying this, but I wouldn't want their lives for anything. The only people I would less like to be would be people suffering abuse, or dreadful illnesses.

I don't think there should be a royal family, it's an outdated concept to have hereditary holders of power. But clearly it's not easy to get rid of, and even if we did, generations would still be scrutinised by the media as if they still were.

It looks awful, permanently being in the limelight.

You might have a great house, but no real privacy.
You'd have loads of money, OK no worries, but beyond a certain amount, what's the point?
You can't go anywhere freely, without feeling you're being watched, I'd hate that.
And you have no real choices. I know some have had military careers, but that's about it (for the main royals anyway), you can't suddenly decide to be a doctor, or teacher or whatever. Hell I'd be annoyed if someone told me I COULDN'T work on a checkout.
You can't make choices for your kids either. You can't just decide to send them to a local school and brownies, even if you think it's best for them, because of all the baggage that goes with it, and safety concerns. I would not feel like an autonomous parent in those circumstances.

I wouldn't do it for anything!

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:07:14

I don't think it's privacy - more the lack of freedom to live day to day as most people have that I'd hate.

I have no idea how William and Harry were brought up and how Diana interacted with other parents and the freedom they had - but I think that's an incredibly important part of childhood and being a parent.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:08:12

OK, I take the point, you could opt out if you wanted to. But the lifestyle just looks dire.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:08:38

Yes Kim, that's more what I meant.

StuntGirl Sun 03-Mar-13 21:10:29

Don't worry pouffe - I don't think there's an imminent chance of you becoming royalty. You can relax hmm

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Sun 03-Mar-13 21:10:36

pouffe she also has kids, grandkids, plenty of interests that she has the money (and time) to indulge in, good friends... I mean, other than the fact she can't go to the supermarket by herself I'd say her life has been pretty fucking good.

That's the only thing you've got that she hasn't, and she's got plenty you don't.

FeckOffCup Sun 03-Mar-13 21:13:38

YABU, they are very privileged, you can bet that they all get much higher standards of education and healthcare than your average person, I'm betting Kate won't be left to fend for herself on a 4 berth postnatal ward, in pain from stitches and weak from blood loss. The lack of privacy may be an inconvenience but IMHO it's a fair trade off for what they get out of it.

Bluegrass Sun 03-Mar-13 21:14:46

I'd much rather belong to the Duke of Westminster's family. He's worth about 4 billion quid, owns a large chunk of London, a Duke is only a step down from royalty but most people would walk past him or his children in the street without a second glance, the papers ignore him and no one harps on about his family spending their (also inherited) wealth on holidays or yachts. Sounds like a far far better life to me!

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:14:53

I've been shouted at again today, because xmil wanted my mobile number for some reason. I have to have one for work.

I absolutely refuse to give it to anyone else except work, because I can't bear people being able to contact me when I'm out. I know I don't have to answer, but people expect you to, so I mostly say I don't have one.

I'm stupidly protective of my right to swan about as I wish, and I think that's why this hit a nerve. I really would do most things rather than be tracked everywhere.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:14

Good friends - does she?

That's a serious question. Do you think the Queen has had the opportunity like most people have to develop good friendships?

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:16:08

"I'm stupidly protective of my right to swan about as I wish, and I think that's why this hit a nerve. "

Agree with that.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:16:52

Panpiper, what would i want that she's got? I promise to answer honestly.

The only thing I might vaguely fancy would be a small boat.

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 21:18:46

I think pouffe that for you, you feel able to cope if you were on the streets, but dont think you could cope with being a royal.

Alittlestranger Sun 03-Mar-13 21:19:34

Yes. The Queen, like all the royals, has some exceptionally close friends. Can you trust that none of your friends would shop you to the Sundays if you were suddenly of national interest? If you're Queen you can't do superficial friendships, there has to be trust, loyalty etc.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:19:57

That's about the sum of it.

seeker Sun 03-Mar-13 21:20:10

Heart bleeding as needful.

Sorry, but I think 'hitting a nerve' is not sufficient reason.

I may be out of line here - I've not lived on the streets and I am assuming pouffe has. But I still think she is being very dismissive of the obvious privilege the monarchy enjoy.

It is perfectly understandable to pity the royals for aspects of their lives.

It is not understandable - and it is rather disgusting - to pretend that greater privilege doesn't exist, just because we feel sorry for someone or for how we imagine we'd feel in that situation. That is self-indulgent rubbish - I'm sorry, but it is.

The royals are wealthy, on average very long-lived because they receive excellent healthcare, they are protected from physical harm and they have many, many, many roofs over their heads. They are hugely privileged compared to the vast majority of the world's population and to pretend otherwise is to ignore people who are genuinely suffering.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:28:09

I think pouffe is talking more about the lack of freedom than privilege.

Both young Royals in the Forces. Just like their Uncle. Even Charles had a go. No "normal" jobs for them - yes, Edward had a go in the theatre world after his attempt at the Marines.

No freedom to choose without considering all the consequences and how it will be seen by the media and the "establishment".

And Kate - well I'm sure she loves William because she has made a choice that I would never want to have made.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:29:59

I haven't lived on the streets but I've been homeless and sleeping on sofas. It is unbelievably shit and it makes you feel like shit about yourself.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:30:20

Absolutely not comparing them to the starving of the world, clearly we are all privileged in this country to not be living in a famine although it may be difficult to provide adequately sometimes.

Of course, they have loads of money, houses, security etc etc, but is that a privilege? It all looks a bit pointless to me. There's no satisfaction in earning it, and what benefit is to be had from it compared to the average middle class person (who of course is privileged in their own way).

aquashiv Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:31

Pouffe/Kim 147 You have a very similar view on things are you one and the same?
Plenty of people live rough quite happily
YOu know this really?

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:47

I've slept on lots of sofas, why does it make you feel shit about yourself?

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:32:39

I'm not Kim, but well chuffed to find someone who vaguely agrees, no-one ever agrees with me in real life.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 21:34:23

aquashiv I'm definitely me smile

But I'm not talking about sleeping rough - although I've very nearly been there.

I'm talking about freedom.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:36:31

Have you pouffe? Because you didn't have anywhere else to go? For months at a time?

I think you'd be challenged to find a situation more likely to damage your self esteem. It's a massive problem for homeless people.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:14

I think the point being that if you find yourself homeless, but have your wits about you, you don't stay there long, and find shelter of some kind quickly. The main people who are on the streets long term have mental health problems, and substance abuse issues. They are probably very unhappy and vulnerable.

Personally, if I fell on hard times, I would go to a rural area and probably contact the church or somewhere to help me out. I would have no need to be knocking about with drunks and hookers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now