Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the royals aren't priveleged

(136 Posts)
pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:05:50

People keep saying this, but I wouldn't want their lives for anything. The only people I would less like to be would be people suffering abuse, or dreadful illnesses.

I don't think there should be a royal family, it's an outdated concept to have hereditary holders of power. But clearly it's not easy to get rid of, and even if we did, generations would still be scrutinised by the media as if they still were.

It looks awful, permanently being in the limelight.

You might have a great house, but no real privacy.
You'd have loads of money, OK no worries, but beyond a certain amount, what's the point?
You can't go anywhere freely, without feeling you're being watched, I'd hate that.
And you have no real choices. I know some have had military careers, but that's about it (for the main royals anyway), you can't suddenly decide to be a doctor, or teacher or whatever. Hell I'd be annoyed if someone told me I COULDN'T work on a checkout.
You can't make choices for your kids either. You can't just decide to send them to a local school and brownies, even if you think it's best for them, because of all the baggage that goes with it, and safety concerns. I would not feel like an autonomous parent in those circumstances.

I wouldn't do it for anything!

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:32:45

Is it possible to give it up though? Would they not still be hounded?

But I agree, if it were possible, they should.

StuntGirl Sun 03-Mar-13 20:35:13

They never have to think about money or security, ever. They're beyond privileged.

kim147 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:36:08

Do you think Kate will be able to do what other mums from her background will normally do with their children?

Maybe she will - but it could be incredibly hard knowing who to trust and the obvious security needs.

monsterchild Sun 03-Mar-13 20:36:39

They are incredibly privileged, they have responsibility, but that has no relationship to privilege. I'd be more than happy to have that kind of responsibility and limelight.

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Sun 03-Mar-13 20:37:16

How sweet of you to be concerned about the Royal Family. You can bet your last penny that they don't give a fuck about you.

Cherriesarelovely Sun 03-Mar-13 20:37:17

Well, yes, they are lucky in many ways. They never have to worry about paying bills for a start. They get to go to some amazing places and have people do lots of the boring stuff for them that I hate doing, cleaning, cooking etc, have great holidays.

On the other hand they don't have alot of privacy, are scrutinised constantly by the press and would find life very difficult if they wanted to tread a different path or were gay for example.

I love my life but I wouldn't mind being royal for a week or so every year!

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:39:16

Seriously, I'd rather live on the street, free to come and go as I please, than live their lives. That's far more important to me than money and security.

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 20:39:26

If I remember correctly, there was a poll a few years ago about who would want to be a royal.
90% said no, and only 10% said yes.

timidviper Sun 03-Mar-13 20:45:49

They are very privileged in some ways and yet have quite sad lives in others. It has got very much worse as communications have improved, apparently when young the Queen and Prince Philip used to sneak out to the pictures and were never recognised, I doubt William and Kate could do that.

You have to remember their privilege is not just money but is also opportunities. Prince Charles must be the lowest ever academic achiever to get into Oxbridge, Prince Andrew had a job as an ambassador for industry despite no experience, etc.

It's all debatable but I tend to think that the inconveniences are more than balanced out by the incredible wealth and power they have.

pouffe - what's the point of hypotheticals? No-one lives on the streets 'free to come and go' as they please. Lots of people die on the streets, though.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Sun 03-Mar-13 20:50:24

I'd like to qualify my first reply about not being Kate in a million years... A Mnetter described how on her lovely beach holiday in Thailand an noticed a 7-8 year old girl washing herself repeatedly in the taps provided. The MNer eventually found out she was of course washing herself between clients sad I'd rather be Kate than her. I'd rather be Kate than a teenage girl stuck on a dead-end estate with no hope of a job or getting out. And a million other rubbish ways of living. I'd rather be any member of the royal family than any of those. And for that reason I think they are privileged and don't waste much energy feeling sorry for them. I also think I'm privileged as fuck and thank my stars I was born where I was, in the era we're in.

Also, I do have a bit of inside knoweldge: I know someone who was a Queen's Equerry and he said that their lives, when not on engagements, were pretty lovely. And even the Queen gets to escape when she's at Balmoral.

pouffe - you'd like to be freezing in winter, drenched when it rains, pissed upon by drunk assholes, verbally and physically abused, raped, treated like the lowest of the low and almost certainly with mental or substance abuse problems rather than be Kate? hmm

JaquelineHyde Sun 03-Mar-13 20:50:48

pouffepants You would rather live on the street free to come and go!!!
Seriously shock shock

So you would rather sleep rough in all weathers, not know where your next meal is coming from, be at risk of attack, rape and general abuse from members of the public etc, etc I could go on...

NO you bloody wouldn't so don't say such ridiculous things.

I have slept rough, luckily it was only for a few nights when I was a run away at 16, I slept in town centre toilets and it was the most distressing scarey thing I have ever, ever had to do.

Oh but yes I was free to come and go from my crummy town centre toilet so I should be grateful angry

I would rather be royal any fucking day!

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Sun 03-Mar-13 20:51:17

timidviper v good point about opportunities.

MmeLindor Sun 03-Mar-13 20:51:41

I think you are muddling 'lucky' with 'privileged' tbh.

I would not say that you were 'privileged' with a family income of £30k, a roof over your head, and free to dress as a scruff. I would say that is, for the society in which you live, pretty much normal.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:54:42

Plenty of people live rough quite happily, of course many do die also.

In my present incarnation as a mother, I would be housed in some respect. I know because it's happened, and I lived in a hostel, my favourite ever place I lived.

If single, I'm confident I could sort myself out quite quickly, and could survive on my own, unless hit by some illness.

None of this fills me with horror. Being in the royal family does.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Sun 03-Mar-13 20:58:58

I think the amount of people who live rough happily would be equivalent to them number of happy, fulfilled prostitutes - ie you get them but they're... uncommon.

pouffe my friend who was a young mother was stuck in a hostel where she had to barricade her door at night, and take all her stuff with her or it got nicked. She was there for 4 months. sad

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 20:59:48

I guess I'm not scared of being on the lower rungs because I've been there, and know how to deal with it. I know where to go for help.

But being royal? I don;t know, just looks like being trapped, and I have no clue what you would do to improve the situation.

JaquelineHyde Sun 03-Mar-13 21:00:27

I don't think I have ever read such utter tosh on MN before and trust me in the 7-8yrs I have been on here I have read some shite.

Your last post pouffe really is the winner and could if you are not careful make you sound like an utter fool.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:01:49

You wouldn't rather live on the street. And you don't know the meaning of privileged either.

They do not have to do it. Any one of them could just say "no, don't want this" and fuck off to South America for the rest of their lives.

Yes, their lives must be difficult, even though I hate the idea of the royal family, I have a hell of a lot of respect for the queen for keeping going when she could easily just say she didn't want to do all the engagements. I think she takes her duties seriously and that is to be admired.

However, the fact that she is still going at 86, able to work what is essentially a full-time job, points to how much privilege buys you. My mum and dad are 60, and they're already knackered after a day's work, but then they don't have private doctors, all the decent food money can buy etc.

Alittlestranger Sun 03-Mar-13 21:03:49

YABU.

I wouldn't trade places with Kate Middleton for the world, but they are all privileged.

And the royals have far more privacy than you realise, that being the point.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 21:03:52

Oh what fucking offensive shit.

I have never met a person who happily slept rough and I used to work with homeless men. I've met people who did it because they couldn't fit into society and I've met people who couldn't deal with the respsonsibility of rent/bills/job, but I've never met one who was happy to be on the streets.

Bluegrass Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:22

"1. No money worries. Ever.
2. Secure accommodation for your lifetime.
3. Staff who exist entirely to do your bidding."

You don't need to be Royal tohave these, you just need to be rich. If they stopped being Royal they would still be very rich and would be able to tick all three boxes.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:51

Mechanical well quite. I met the Queen once and her skin is amaaaaazing. I know it's partly genetic but its also years of being totally looked after.

I gather she takes her position and privilege very seriously.

Alittlestranger Sun 03-Mar-13 21:06:28

And being royal isn't a life sentence. Even the queen could retire and there are minor royals who have renounced their claim to the throne. Just because you're born or marry into the royal family doesn't actually mean you have to embrace it. But the "firm" does instill a very strong sense of obligation and duty.

pouffepants Sun 03-Mar-13 21:07:09

There's not a lot of point in living to 86 if that's all you can do though is there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now