Do I need medical assistance.

(29 Posts)
Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 19:14:13

I think I have slapped cheek, my face is red raw, my joints are incredibly sore, I can't get my temp down its 39.8,I can only take paracetamol as asthmatic, I feel faint, dizzy and light headed, my heart rate is fat and my hands are freezing, I need cool down but if I take the blanket off, I'm shivery and feel sick.

Or should I jut man up?

MmeLindor Sun 03-Mar-13 21:55:48

Glad you got seen, and hope you are feeling better soon.

CaptainVonTrapp Sun 03-Mar-13 21:19:55

No one who has had a temperature that high would call you a wimp. Its just miserable. Hope you're soon feeling better.

WeAreSix Sun 03-Mar-13 21:16:05

So glad you're sorted.

Rest and fluids smile

toomuch2young Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:15

I'm glad you got prompt medical assistance.
Really hope you feel better soon.

Sirzy Sun 03-Mar-13 21:13:49

Glad you got seen tonight, very impressive service to!

Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 21:09:55

I've been seen and home how good is the primary care team!?

Someone came and collect me, got see straight away and I'm back home. I quite like this new 111 service.

I have a chest throat and ear infection, the "slapped cheek" is actually the throat infection, funny thing is my throats dosen't feel horrible, they think I may have flu on top, but unsure.

Been given 500g of trythtomycin, 4 x a day.
Steroids and ibrofen as my temp is 40.1.

Thankyou for not calling me a wimp.

numbum Sun 03-Mar-13 20:53:27

Have you looked at your sore throat in a mirror? You sound like me when I had tonsillitis

idiot55 Sun 03-Mar-13 20:50:40

its hell, I had it two weeks ago, hope you get better soon.

I can honestly say Ive had proper flu, norovirus, and scarlett fever but slapped cheek was the worst ive ever felt.

you will feel better soon

TattyDevine Sun 03-Mar-13 20:47:49

(assuming you are breathing okay - hell if you get suddenly bad there is a&e after all, this way you can rest in the meantime)

TattyDevine Sun 03-Mar-13 20:47:12

6 hours is probably fine. If you are not even coughing. 6 hours is enough for more symptoms to be produced shoud it not be slapped cheek...though granted you could do without being woken at 1am grin

Sirzy Sun 03-Mar-13 20:11:39

6 hours? Did you give them a full history? Hope they call sooner than that.

WeAreSix Sun 03-Mar-13 20:04:46

6 hours?! Blimey... Our non-urgent call back time is 1hour, urgent 20 minutes! Even at peak times we rarely go over 3 hours shock

Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 19:44:25

The dr is calling me within 6 hours, I've changed into flimsy jammies, and the blanket is off, I'm farking freezing! Lol tatty.

My throat is killing me too and im drinking plenty. I honestly feel some has given me the biggest killing of my life.

It might be my chest tbh, it's cracking, but clear (I think)

MmeLindor Sun 03-Mar-13 19:32:50

Considering you've had pneumonia and your asthma, I'd say that contacting OOH doc would be a good idea.

Hope you feel better soon

TattyDevine Sun 03-Mar-13 19:30:55

PS I'd been "well" (albeit with a bit of a cough and residue etc) for several weeks when my relapse happened and the relapse was almost as bad as the original.

Not to be doom and gloom!

TattyDevine Sun 03-Mar-13 19:30:08

You sure you are not having a relapse? Better call someone I reckon. Even if you see someone first thing tomorrow, the red cheeks might be a red herring (see what I did there) and you might simply be suffering a relapse of the pneumonia, when I had pneumonia I shook it with 6 courses of antibiotics then a few weeks later had the "flu" or so I thought...woke up shivery, achy joints, fever...but no other symptoms...24 hours later the cough came back and I was diagnosed with a relapse. 2 courses of Doxycycline kicked it for good.

WeAreSix Sun 03-Mar-13 19:28:03

I'm an OOH triage nurse.

Your body's natural response to high temperature is shivery / cold feeling. I know it's horrible but you need to get the layers off you and get your temp down. The blankets will make you hotter and you will feel worse. Drink lots of cool fluids. Paracetamol every 4hrs on the dot.

Considering you've just had pneumonia I'd suggest seeing GP so make contact with your OOH service. Don't bother with NHS Direct.

RSVP Sun 03-Mar-13 19:27:57

I'd call out of hours doctor.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sirzy Sun 03-Mar-13 19:26:08

Phone your OOH then, at least you can then talk through your symptoms with someone who can say if you need further assitance

Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 19:24:38

Just rang, NHS not available in my area!!

lljkk Sun 03-Mar-13 19:23:12

I would chat to OOH, the asthma with the symptoms swings it for me.

Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 19:21:38

Sirzy, I've just only recovered from double pneumonia, I couldn't risk it.

ChairmanWow Sun 03-Mar-13 19:20:54

I've just been looking into slapped cheek as I think DS has it and I'm 38 weeks preg. The NHS info states that in itself it's nothing to worry about and can be managed with paracetomol and ibruprofen, but if you're feeling really, really terrible and not coping then definitely seek appropriate medical attention.

Hope you feel better soon.

Altinkum Sun 03-Mar-13 19:20:19

My dh but he has had a drink (didn't know I was unwell) and both my children, 3 and 7

Sirzy Sun 03-Mar-13 19:20:18

I would phone OOH.

Are you sure you can't have brufen? I have been told that most asthmatics are fine with it so may be worth talking to medics about to clarify?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now