to want to scream at my friends "WE ARE NOT OLD!!!!"

(73 Posts)
BalletCrystal Sun 03-Mar-13 19:08:33

We have been a group of friends since school, we are all now currently 23/22.

At least three of them constantly keep saying - "God we're so old now"

Aibu to think actually 23 is still young? I mean I know we're not 18 and clubbing every night but we also hardly have 5 kids each, a divorce and second marriage behind us.

I retort to them "well I feel sorry for you if you actually consider yourself old at this age"

Lord knows how they will feel when they hit 30.

(Disclaimer being 30 isn't old, but the way these girls state so often that they are old now I dread to think what they will be like in just 7 years time - probably assume they can ride for the bus for free or something.)

DP and I haven't got kids but we certainly don't live the life of a 'young person'. We live in a houseshare with people 20+ years older than us and spend our free time playing board games, camping and going for walks. I'd much rather that than clubbing any day grin We refused to live with people our own age as we didn't want to put up with drinkers and people waltzing in after midnight instead we have a 36yo teenager living with us

Saying that though, we won't have children, get married or get onto the housing ladder even in rental until we're in our late 20's as DP doesn't finish uni until he's 27/28.

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 21:10:26

A lot of 23 year olds feel old.
Wait till they are 24. They then say "one more year and I am half way to 50"

Ledkr Sun 03-Mar-13 21:14:13

Well I'm 45 and try not to think about it. I still totally live life to the full and am really happy so why waste time thinking about it just get on and enjoy life while you can.

Maryz Sun 03-Mar-13 21:15:31

I'm 50, and I'm not old. I'm almost middle aged, but not quite yet.

My mum says that old is 20 years older than you currently are. She is now 79, so no-one is old until they are 99 grin

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 21:21:51

I am amillionyears dont forget, so I have lived through them all. Dont remember much being 776,577 years old though. Nothing much happened that year I dont think!

CheerfulYank Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:24

I'm 30 and occasionally feel old. I have a friend who's 20 and always going to concerts and talking about snapchat and investing in weird hipster fashion...makes me feel ancient!

I sometimes feel old as time seems to be slipping through my fingers and I'm just being a mum to children, which does make you feel old.

Although I think my DH feeling old is rubbing off on me...

Latara Sun 03-Mar-13 21:58:12

At 36 I feel healthier than i have for a long time because i've been ill & am recovering, so that is making me feel younger now... bit fed up of my friends moaning that they are old though.

BornInACrossFireHurricane Sun 03-Mar-13 22:08:33

I'm nearly 28 and think that, in the scheme of things, I am still young

I am slightly scared at hitting 30 though, I must admit. I know this is ridiculous though!

FlouncingMintyy Sun 03-Mar-13 22:10:10

Its a really dumb thing for a 23 year old to say. On a par with someone who is a size 8 moaning about being fat.

Dumb and boring.

katecreate Sun 03-Mar-13 22:26:12

I'm 22 and say that I feel old. What I mean is that it was only a few years ago I was in school etc. and relative to that, I am doing stuff that makes me feel older. The people to whom I say it though understand what I'm going on about and I don't have to provide that caveat!

To me, when a young person says that they're old, it means that they feel oldER, not that they literally think that they are elderly.

squeakytoy Sun 03-Mar-13 22:29:32

I am in my 40's, still feel, act and look young, and have no problem at all with being classed as a girl.. I can think of far worse things to be called and get upset and worked up about than "girl". grin .. middle aged for a start!!!

amillionyears Sun 03-Mar-13 22:52:03

fwiw, I am going to a funeral this week of a 100 year old person.
Next week, a woman of about 96 years old.
So you can tell them that they may not be a 1/4 of the way through their lives yet.

lisaloeb Sun 03-Mar-13 22:59:41

I felt ancient at 23, but I had a DC, a home I was responsible for and I was planning a wedding.

But at 34, I look back and realise I was not ancient, in the same way as I'm sure my nearly teen DD thinks I'm ancient.

Waffling but hopefully get my drift.

Morloth Mon 04-Mar-13 04:18:39

I am constantly astonished at how old I am, I am 36 this year but am still about 17 in my head.

MrsLyman Mon 04-Mar-13 04:31:58

I felt old at that age because it was at that age that it dawned on me that I wasn't going to get any younger, if that makes sense. I had a proper job, was paying my own rent and it was the first time I felt like a 'grown-up'. So despite pushing 40 I do sort of understand the sentiment.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 04-Mar-13 04:40:40

I think Caitlin Moran has it about right- you're young until you're around 35, then you're neither young or old for about a decade, and then at 45 you start to "get old" and then you are old around 60.

I'm 37 and I definitely dont think of myself as young anymore, but hopefully I've got at least half my life in front of me so I'm not too upset.

bbface Mon 04-Mar-13 04:50:06

What I. Seth are you doing on mumsnet????

22/23, I would not have even known about such a website.

Now,mat 32 with a toddler and a baby due any moment, it feels much more relevant to my life. I would not have been at all interested in a website such as this at your age and in your situation. So perhaps you are older than your years?

(Although your rather fiery rude initial comments, would indicate you are indeed as young as you feel)

bbface Mon 04-Mar-13 04:51:28

Sorry, opening line should read... What one earth are you doing on mumsnet??

Lavenderhoney Mon 04-Mar-13 04:55:45

Perhaps at 23, they could replace "old" with " grown up" with adult responsibilities and having to stand on your own two feet. Without the excuse of being a teen, at uni etc- things associated with the young and carefree.

Feeling old is a state of mind. I only feel old when life gets me down and nothing seems to go right, careworn. Or thinking of missed opportunities when young.

My dm only felt old when her body started to go wrong - old age. Then she says " if I had my time again.."

MidnightMasquerader Mon 04-Mar-13 05:02:09

<meh> It's just something people say. Nothing more, nothing less.

I remember having a mini crisis when I turned 24. And then I got over it. Ironically, I'm 40 this year, and trying to convince myself I'm actually really young. grin

Gingerodgers Mon 04-Mar-13 05:52:22

Just like to say, really really annoying hearing folk prattle on about being old. Be old before your time if you want, but don't go on about it coz its boring.

Not directed at anyone on here, in fact is just a moan about my in laws!!!

Fairylea Mon 04-Mar-13 06:17:21

Gosh old in your twenties?!! What?!!

I'm 33 this year. I am still young. I refuse to be old. And anyway dh is 26 and isn't there a saying you're as young as the man you feel? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now