WIBU to keep it??

(80 Posts)
clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:11:16

Was in Boots yesterday at one of the quite expensive make up counters. Spent quite a bit of money on three products. Got home and discovered one of my dc (who has SN) had not only stolen a bottle of perfume he'd also completely destroyed the box it was in.

Just called the store to tell them and ask whether i should return the perfume or pay for it. they were awful to me. I really feel like keeping the bloody perfume now.

LadyPessaryPam Tue 05-Mar-13 09:53:30

I wouldn't bother TBH. Give the stinking perfume to the charity shop, unless of course you gave the store your name and address?

BinarySolo Tue 05-Mar-13 09:49:55

I would return it by post to head office with a letter of complaint. This way you totally have the moral high ground and you can complain about your treatment. No point complaining to he store as it sounds like you've already discovered the manager there is a twat.

greenfolder Tue 05-Mar-13 09:27:18

and, indeed you have offered to pay.

greenfolder Tue 05-Mar-13 09:27:00

after they spoke to me like that on the phone

i would say "fuck it" and not give it a moments thought.

i am honest like you are. my dd3 took something from waitrose as a baby. i found it when we got home. next time i was in i offered to pay, they said no problem- please put it in the charity box.

if stuff that is valuable is kept within reach of toddlers then its a business risk. your little one could just have easily picked it up and then dropped it on the way home- the loss is the same.

Morloth Tue 05-Mar-13 02:34:34

Meh too hard.

It happens, you tried to be reasonable.

Personally I would just forget about it now and either keep it or donate it.

DS1 was a shocker for this, like a previous poster I got into the habit of a full body/buggy search before leaving all stores.

Monty27 Tue 05-Mar-13 02:27:46

I rarely use Boots robbin bastards

Jux Tue 05-Mar-13 01:45:32

I hate Boots with passion! There's a Boots thread on MN atm, and if I posted what I actually thought of them, it would give me deep joy, but it's an official MNHQ read so I don't want to muck things up for MN. Oh, I think this is a First World Problem grin

Anyway, I would complain vociferously to customer services and see if I could find an independent chemist to use in future (they're better anyway).

Monty27 Tue 05-Mar-13 01:18:26

I think they cba'd personally, too much paperwork etc.

I'd take up with Boots HO.

clpsmum Mon 04-Mar-13 15:40:04

I agree if they'd wanted to they could've quite easily taken payment over the phone. They're just being awkward

BOF Sun 03-Mar-13 21:03:04

But any basic card terminal allows for payment without the customer present. They all do. It might not be Boots' policy, but they could make an exception if they wanted to.

They sound rotten, OP. A proper snotty bint. They'd fit right in here grin

DoingTheBestICan Sun 03-Mar-13 20:42:52

I used to work for boots and you cannot pay for things over the phone,you need to be there with your card and put your pin in.
The store I worked in were very generous with donating raffle prizes,we used to get lots of requests weekly and every letter had a prize given to them.
Boots as a company are ruthless but our local store and girls are fantastic.

DoJo Sun 03-Mar-13 20:35:36

I'm surprised that so many posters are advocating keeping it on the grounds that someone on the phone was rude - does it work the other way? If someone had been rude before she left the store should she have felt justified in pocketing something deliberately? I'm not saying I would necessarily make a huge effort to return it, but I don't think you can use one employees rudeness as an excuse for keeping it. Perhaps they didn't want to accept payment as they were happy to write the stock off, but just need it for their inventory so that they can account for it.

stormforce10 Sun 03-Mar-13 19:42:17

OP YANBU that's a horrible way to treat someone who was only trying to be honest. Its bad for Boots too as it puts people off trying to return things.

DD was a terrible shop lifter. At 18 months she managed to get a packet of chocolate buttons in the co-op and we were most of the way home before I glanced down and noticed her face was entirely covered in chocolate. We went back to pay and lovely manager laughed and told us not to worry. Another time she took a dress in Mothercare and I noticed just after crossing the road so again back we went and no problems.

Finally she also managed to steal a bottle of bubble bath in M&S when she was not quite 4, smuggle it home in her little rucksack and pour a big dollop in her bath before I finally noticed blush We went next day and offered to pay for it and they told me to keep it and thanked me for being honest I told dd to say sorry which she did and she was very gently told by lovely deputy manager it was very naughty to steal things from shops and not to do it again and she never has.

Sounds like Boots have a lot to learn about customer services sad

Yfronts Sun 03-Mar-13 19:11:32

email head office and let them know what happened.

maddening Sun 03-Mar-13 18:46:38

Timid - my friend used to work for wh smiths - they used to sell off "penny stock" to staff and schools abd charities as it was unsold (eg books etc) in the store then a new manager started and made the staff take it down to the basement and destroy it - it is a disgrace imo to be so wasteful.

maddening Sun 03-Mar-13 18:43:11

Clouds - of course boots can take payment over the phone.

What timidviper said.

Bastards, sorry they spoke to you like that. Fuck them, they are a huge company making millions of pounds & shitty adverts. It's not like they are a little independent chemist. Can't believe some posters!

timidviper Sun 03-Mar-13 18:05:24

OP if you return this to Boots they will write it off and destroy it. When I worked for the bastards them, they used to insist any testers that were not needed were taken out to the bins and smashed rather than given to the numerous fundraising groups that wrote and asked for donations each week. They used to take any unsellable baby clothes and cut them to make them unusable (rather than donating them) despite us being in a really deprived area and, when they ran an offer of collecting vouchers for cuddly toys, told us off for asking people who didn't want theirs to donate them to the local children's hospice. They are not a caring company at all so don't feel bad for them.

I would ring customer service, tell them what happened (and stress your son's SN), how upset you are at the attitude of their staff and inform them that consequently you will be donating the boxless bottle to the nursery

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 18:02:34

Thanks red hot that made me feel so much better. So difficult sometimes. Hopefully will remember in future to frisk him before we leave shops lol

Honestly some of the people on here are really up themselves sometimes. Whoever told me to return it ASAP, ill return the next time I'm there when its convenient to me. I don't think I'm justified in keeping it hence why I said id return it.

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 17:55:58

Clouds I think I can return it because that's what the concession manager told me to do return it complete with damaged box. I offered to pay and she said no

youfhearted Sun 03-Mar-13 17:52:59

god they dont know who you are op, just keep it, it doesnt seem to be worse the hassle,

Ledkr Sun 03-Mar-13 17:49:44

In obviously not on

Ledkr Sun 03-Mar-13 17:49:07

Take a leaf out of an fabs Eddie.
" cut the attitude sweetie, you only work on a shop!"
Don't give it another thought. Knobheads and what lot of sanctimonious arses on here today!

CloudsAndTrees Sun 03-Mar-13 17:47:41

montage, maybe they couldn't take a payment over the phone, not everywhere can.

OP clearly didn't intend to steal the thing when it happened, but now she thinks she's justified in stealing from a company because one of their employees was rude?

I agree the sales assistant shouldn't have been rude, but I also think that OP should be making every effort to take the thing back, and pay for it as its damaged, as soon as possible.

Theicingontop Sun 03-Mar-13 17:40:35

DS did this with an ornamental snowman last year, from one of our local shops. Got to the crossing before our house before he showed me, "Look mummy, 'nowman!"

Marched back to the shop and handed it back. Girl at the till gave me a filthy look and snatched it from me. No idea why sales assistants would have such an arse on about returning something that was accidentally taken, it wouldn't be on purpose if you're trying to return it now, would it.

Take it back OP, and make a complaint. They should have been thankful you were honest, and given you the benefit of the doubt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now