Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to move to Scotland for the free University places?

(121 Posts)
weewifey40 Sun 03-Mar-13 11:26:48

I love Scotland. It's a beautiful country. Bit cold, but you can't have it all!
However, we have 3 dc's.
The way things are now, it will cost them all about 30k in student debt each to get a degree. So 90k for the three of them.
Neither of our parents helped us with the cost of our degrees and it made life very tricky in our younger days.
We'd love to help our dc's towards the cost of uni.
The eldest two are very academic and already talking about what they want to do at Uni, so I think it's pretty safe to assume they're going down that route.
We could get a bigger house for the same money up there. Would want to be about half an hour or so from Edinburgh.
Has anyone else thought of doing this?
Any thoughts?
It also occurs to me that we could move and then Scotland decides to introduce fees!

pirouette Sun 03-Mar-13 21:26:25

'You'll have had yir tea"...<runs>

Dereksmalls Sun 03-Mar-13 21:27:54

Well I'd have to find somebody who came from Edinburgh in the first place, as I said all ex-students who never left!

Can't see how Edinburgh would be less wanky than Perthshire, would give Surrey a run for it's money shock

ChristmasJubilee Sun 03-Mar-13 21:33:11

Inverness-shire is lovely. Hope the "no fees" last long enough to get at least ds's 1&2 through.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 03-Mar-13 21:38:29

gringrin@ you'll have had yer tea

Euphemia Sun 03-Mar-13 21:52:04

My mum's like that. blush She'll offer you a coffee and say "I take it you'll not want a biscuit?" hmm

ihategeorgeosborne Sun 03-Mar-13 22:04:54

DH's parents live near Oban and I must admit that I have thought about sending the DC up to live with their grandparents when the time comes for them to go to uni!! Not sure they'd be up for it but it has crossed my mind. Although I seriously doubt that uni will be 'free' up there for much longer.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 03-Mar-13 22:13:02

I reckon there's a NE version of "you'll have had your tea." No-one ever visited my house without my parents standing on the doorstep waving them off for ten minutes, practically begging them to come again, lamenting how little they saw each other, only for them to shut the door and say "God, I thought they'd never leave."

roughtyping Sun 03-Mar-13 22:59:01

mechanical grin my parents did that too!

roughtyping Sun 03-Mar-13 22:59:24

Not NE however, Maryhill

JennyPiccolo Sun 03-Mar-13 23:03:04

I live in the east end of Glasgow and I've not seen a track suit tucked into socks in years. Waiting for onesies as outdoor wear to really take off though.

KikkiK Sun 03-Mar-13 23:19:10

To add to the long list of benefits of living in Scotland:
You don't have to pay water bills.
Supermarkets open past 4pm on Sundays.

Lived down south for eight years and am quite happy to be home.

WilsonFrickett Mon 04-Mar-13 00:11:42

MrsKeith I was convinced you were a Londoner! ::based on nothing at all, clearly:: and you're just down the road!

::reconsiders the concept of meet-ups::

MrsKeithRichards Mon 04-Mar-13 10:18:37

grin

I've only ever been to London once! East coast lass through and through here. If you're looking for me I'm the one with the messy hair and the amazing boobs thanks to my bra intervention!

kinkyfuckery Mon 04-Mar-13 10:19:32

I think you get tucked in tracksuits in the north of England (specifically in Liverpool and Newcastle), never seen it anywhere else and nowhere is it as rife as in Glasgow. You certainly don't get it in NE Scotland. Why, we're simply a little classier than the so-called central belt.

I think we are still classed as NE Scotland (Angus), but we sadly do get the tucked in tracksuits here. But then we seem rife with all sorts of dodgy bastards!

salemsparklys Mon 04-Mar-13 12:37:32

I have a friend who moved from Englad to here ( Edinburgh ), she lived here 3 months and got a college place, did Access to Nursing for a year and started Uni in Adult Nursing with me, lived here no more than 2 yrs before she started Uni.

IfNotNowThenWhen Mon 04-Mar-13 13:00:11

Not been for years, but I used to know Glasgow well, and that is a great city.
Excellent university as well.
In parts it was a bit like going back in time about 30 years (tenements, urchins, etc) and the sectarian/football craziness was very weird for me, but it is a very vibrant and interesting place.
I am talking late nineties though, so it may be totally different now.

Kendodd Mon 04-Mar-13 13:23:43

So, this 'three year residency' rule, does that mean that if DCs moved to Scotland aged 18, lived there for three years, they could then get a free university place?

poozlepants Mon 04-Mar-13 13:37:45

Send your kids to university in the Netherlands like Maastricht University- low tutition fees and lots of degrees taught in English.

MrsKeithRichards Mon 04-Mar-13 13:39:40

I done a year of my degree in Maastricht!

I really need to name change now don't I?

ubik Mon 04-Mar-13 13:44:19

Yes Ken

But where would they live, how support themselves? Starting 4year degree at 22, graduating aged 26 with student loans to pay ...

WilsonFrickett Mon 04-Mar-13 14:14:48

MrsK you are well outed now! I shall keep my eyes open for a messy haired marvellous boobs Maastrict grad next time I'm down your way grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now