Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think some people resent me being a sahm?

(212 Posts)
PurpleMacaroon Sat 02-Mar-13 21:25:45

I was recently working part time but the company went into liquidation and sadly I was made redundant - and have been a sahm since October. We can still pay the bills and have some left over to do what we want with and thankfully I had managed to save too whilst I was working. We were surprised that this has worked well for us and we're planning on having another baby soon so I won't be going back to work any time soon.

I gave my friends a lift home last night (it was literally a 2 minute drive) so I said in a jokey way - "you both owe me petrol money" and they laughed and one said back - "don't you mean we owe your husband petrol money?"

I was invited by a friend to go on a weekend trip to Berlin (I went, cheap flight, standard hotel - nothing extravagant.) Didn't even bother to mention it until my friend asked me to go out for lunch on Saturday and I said I couldn't and she asked why. When I told her, she said "how the hell can you afford that when you're unemployed?? Oh is your husband paying then?"

It just hurts because I never judge or openly comment on them for their life decisions.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sat 02-Mar-13 21:54:47

What does "just marking my place" actually mean? If it's because you want to keep track of the thread, wtf don't you just make an actual real comment instead of this place marking bollocks?

To the OP; the grass is always greener, and those "friends" are clearly very jealous, which is a very unattractive trait. Just make some snidey comment back such as the ones mentioned upthread.

LineRunner Sat 02-Mar-13 21:56:14

I do think SAHMs lose the argument the minute they suggest they made a superior choice.

I just think it's about time we all accepted that SAHMs work. They do actual work.

I do a double shift as a lone parent who works out of the home, with an ExH who does nothing for his DC's home or upbringing, but that shouldn't mean that SAHMs energy exependiture is somehow negated. And it shouldn't mean my life is rubbished either.

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 22:00:40

friendships change,if the bad times outnumber the good it indicates drifting apart

WifeofPie Sat 02-Mar-13 22:01:45

How odd...and catty. Their comments don't even make sense...they're envy idiots and YABU to put up with that sort of nonsense (I mean that in a nice way). Don't think any more of it and enjoy the time with your lovely family.

PurpleMacaroon Sat 02-Mar-13 22:01:56

I do think SAHMs lose the argument the minute they suggest they made a superior choice

Yes I do agree there.

Or suggest something like - why did you even have children if you are going to work?

People do what they have to do and what works for them and I don't comment on anyones situation or think of them as a better or worse parents for working or staying at home.

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 22:05:55

Btw,contrary to mn popular myth most working mums arent jealous of housewife's
Do your thing,don't look for or expect approbation about your choices
If the friendship feels strained I'd say it's indicative of incomparability

SuedeEffectPochette Sat 02-Mar-13 22:14:01

Before I had children, when someone from work left to have a baby and intended not to come back, I would think that they were lucky to afford it and a bit lazy, as they wouldn't really be doing anything. Now that I have children, I realise that going to work is the easy option!

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 22:18:53

Another nonsensical myth,that being mutha is ardest job in world.no it isn't

LineRunner Sat 02-Mar-13 22:18:57

Exactly. Being an at home parent is bloody hard work.

LineRunner Sat 02-Mar-13 22:20:03

Maybe not the 'hardest job in the world', sm, but it is (hard) work!

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 22:22:13

Yes,it's hard going being home with preschoolers

nailak Sat 02-Mar-13 22:36:37

it is hard for some, personally i find it harder then going to work, but that is an individual thing.

I also dont find it hard to get intellectual stimulation, do satisfying things etc while being at home, which dont revolve around my kids, there is plenty of stuff to do and get involved in that arent paid employment.

WafflyVersatile Sat 02-Mar-13 22:43:59

Maybe they thought you were having a sly dig that they should pay petrol money now you're not earning? It's amazing how misconstrued things can be.

Maybe there is a thread on the internet somewhere....

weewifey40 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:48:27

humans are complicated
Normally, when someone questions what you do in a dismissive tone, it says more about them than you.
ie. the sahm who says 'I don't want to farm out my kids' is justifying her decision to be at home with the dc's, whilst the wohm who says 'I'd love to have a rich husband and faff about all day' isn't being horrible. They're telling you that they want your life, but have no option cos husband doesn't earn enough.
They're jealous.
Take pity.

ImagineJL Sat 02-Mar-13 22:49:07

OP I think you're probably right that your friends may resent you.

I would never say anything like that to my SAHM friends but I confess I do sometimes think it. I know it's unreasonable, and it's my problem not theirs, hence why I would never articulate it.

But the bottom line is that I would LOVE to be a SAHM, I really would. But I'm a single parent with no support at all from anywhere else, so I have to work. But when I am reminded of the lives of SAHMs I feel envious, bitter, and also guilty because they are parenting in a way that I would like to.

I think many WOHMs feel guilty that they aren't at home more, whether they enjoy their jobs or not.

weewifey40 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:51:09

Worra, how long have you been a sahm?
I know some lovely, kind, wonderful people. I have very supportive friends. I've been a sahm for a short period after working and in that time have already had a couple of passive aggressive snipes. I had a couple of snipes when I was working too, (don't you worry leaving them in that nursery? Erm, no.)

I can imagine the comment made after the petrol joke was just a jokey piss take because of what you said. second comment however unless made inside jokey way would be very rude

impty Sat 02-Mar-13 22:54:20

Ignore! as a Sahm for 13 years never come across this in real life.

I have my own money. I have joint money. mmm whatever!grin my working friends are fine with my choices as are my sahm's!

perhaps new friends are in order?

I have had lots of comments like this over the years as I worked part time before we had kids. The only people who made those comments though we're jealous. Those that weren't jealous didn't feel the need to make sarcastic comments or little digs. So I've always gone with the "their jealousy, their problem" attitude.

You obviously have th ort of friendship where you tease each other, are they struggling to relate to you in your new role? To know what to say, where to draw the line?

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 22:56:59

See all housewife's off on a flyer,that working mums are jealous of housewife not working
Really?is that best you can come up with...that working Mum secretly jealous
Let's be clear I don't presume housewife want my ft job and I don't want be housewife

weewifey40 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:59:56

scottishmummy, I read your post in an angry voice, like you were shouting a little at the screen. I'm glad you're happy and don't want to be a housewife!

scottishmummy France Sat 02-Mar-13 23:02:30

It's not an angry post but hey ho artistic licence read it any ole voice you want

impty Sat 02-Mar-13 23:03:03

oh SM you did well with you're previous post....now you're getting hostile smile

live and let live...grin

impty Sat 02-Mar-13 23:04:11

cross post ...SM you're first post wasn't hostile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now