Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to implore you not to push out ypur babies at 7.20 am?

(144 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Sat 02-Mar-13 09:08:42

It's all very lovely but it is such shocking timing when you've been awake for too many hours and hoping to be in bed by 8.

If you catch a dear little squidgy pink baby at 7.20. Then you have to wait for a placenta. Then cuddle. The write it all down coherently and legibly.

So if you could get it done an hour or so before 7 that would be super. Thanks.

elliejjtiny Sat 02-Mar-13 09:46:09

I had my 3 at 22:50, 12:30 and 22:46 <<considerate>>. The midwife with DS3 was pleased, she thought I'd be there all night even though I told her I'd have him in 2 hours.

thegreylady Sat 02-Mar-13 09:46:09

Ds 1pm
Dd 3am

teacher123 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:46:52

Well I managed a full 4 shift turn around of midwives with my labour with DS, ending in a crash section and pneumonia! Waters broke after induction at 7am, DS born 10pm, I was let out of delivery suite and sent up to ward at 10am following morning. The midwife who'd started me off the previous day was shocked to see me still there!

Deux Sat 02-Mar-13 09:47:47

I had DD at 7.40 am. I t was all quite straight forward and I had a kind of haka style labour and delivered DD whilst standing up.

I felt a bit woozy, looked down and wondered who on earth had thrown so much blood all over the floor.

The midwife leapt for the emergency button and suddenly there was at least 2 of everyone in the room and all this blood sloshing around on the floor.

So pph at shift change = all available staff from both shifts in your delivery room.

Sorry!

Oh dear I was in bad books then 7.33 am Dd.... Ds however 5.44am maybe acceptable?

Wookiee101 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:51:05

DS1 was an EMCS and during the prep before surgery the team told me they were just settling down to watch a film as it had been so quiet! That was at about half past 3 in the morning.

McPie Sat 02-Mar-13 09:53:35

Oooops ds1 was 10.29 pm and dt's were 6.10 and 6.11 am. Both were c-sections, does that make it any better?

LtEveDallas Sat 02-Mar-13 09:55:17

2044 for DD. My trainee Midwife was most put out, she'd been with me since 0800 but should have gone off shift at 1800 - she waited for another hour but was hounded out at 1900. She was very annoyed with me the next morning, especially as they wouldn't let her go and see DD in SCBU!

Sorry Greta.

Birthdaychocolate Sat 02-Mar-13 09:55:27

Unplanned C-sections at 7.30pm and 2am.

raisah Sat 02-Mar-13 09:59:16

first birth was at 6:45pm so everyone had to stay behind. It was their own fault, if they had checked me when I arrived ay 11am they could have stalled the birth. I was 26wks cramping, bleeding heavily & my waters had broken. 3 midwives & a dr said i was spotting, wet myself & experiencing braxton hicks & left me in a room by myself for 6 hours. They came at 6pm during the consultant round & were
shocked when he shouted at them. I was 6 cm dilated by then & in a lot of pain. The m/w had placed the baby heart monitor incorrectly & it was monitoring my heart beat instead! Things moved quickly once the consultant & new m/w took over. It was touch & go for a while but my son pulled through & is now 4.

WomanCalledAlice Sat 02-Mar-13 10:01:05

Ds1 was 11.59pm
Ds2 4.45am
Dd 2.10pm

I think ds2 was the less considerate , I imagine night shifters are probably at that tired wanting to sleep stage.

Sarahplane Sat 02-Mar-13 10:01:22

I had dd at 7.10 am and ds at 8.02am with the same midwives who'd been with me since I'd arrived both times so 8.02 I think probably pissed them off even more. oops. They hid it well though.

03:14 and 13:22. Any good or am I the scourge of the maternity unit?

DD1 - 7.08am grin
DD2 - 9.40pm

DD1 was the easier birth but I wondered why I was left alone for so long afterwards. I also had a lot of retained materials and was very ill for two years because of it.

DD2 I only went into established labour around 5pm and I was left alone for most of my labour scared and feeling very unsupported. The aftercare was much better though and I am enjoying the first few weeks rather than feeling like crying constantly and like I'd been punched in the stomach.

I wonder if midwives could have staggered shift splits and primary and secondary cases so that kind of thing doesn't happen.

TandB Sat 02-Mar-13 10:06:59

4.05am for DS2. But then I'm a selfish cowbag grin

It was also a 1 hour labour so two midwives and a trainee got dragged out of bed and only one actually made it on time. Maximum inconvenience for minimum input!

Flojobunny Sat 02-Mar-13 10:07:06

I was mid push when my midwives swapped over at 9pm.

stoatie Sat 02-Mar-13 10:12:01

I was looking after woman who although labouring quietly - gave no impression of birth imminent. Was due to check progress (0710) and inform early staff etc - went to examine - noticed I could see vertex++++ - She had her baby at 0723 ! (just had time to tell co-ordinator to update board for handover!

That said I had my children before I was a midwife - I know I labour quickly but don't give many outward signs of distress (am in inner turmoil mind grin) , and also worked in the hospital so fully aware of shift handover times etc.

So fool that I am I stroll onto LW at 0730 (with my 3rd baby) looking calm and was shown to waiting room area. Can imagine midwife at handover rolling eyes and saying "multip just come in - doesn't look in labour". Anyway no-one appeared and by 0810 I was getting very uncomfortable and co-ordinator walked passed me and noticed me - quick check of my handheld notes and she whisked me into a room - DD2 was born at 0831 (I still hadn't been officially admitted at this point!!). When years later I did my midwifery training I often worked with that midwife and we joked about "multips turning up at handover fully and needing to push!"

MummyPig24 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:13:21

Oops I had dd at 8.10am. Is 8.00 shift change time? That's why she kept disappearing and kicked me out asap! A more civilised 5.46 with ds.

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Sat 02-Mar-13 10:14:32

DS was 4.50am and DD was 2.22pm.

DinglebertWangledack Sat 02-Mar-13 10:21:41

22:40 here, in hospital in established labour from 4pm so there was a shift change before I had DD! The first midwife was lovely and helped me with breathing etc, then 2 new younger midwives were more interested in leading me round the room and examining my foof frequently.

You'd have hated me if I'd had baby at that time in the morning, they nearly had to take me to theatre to remove the placenta as it ended up coming 2hrs after baby did! Ended up in theatre anyway to repair a third degree tear...ouch.

Crawling Sat 02-Mar-13 10:23:19

Ds 12:30 at night
Dd1 1:46am
Dd2 10:20 pm
Im considerate.

Fakebook Sat 02-Mar-13 10:38:16

Dd was born just past 12am
DS was born at 2.47am

I'm a late night birther.

HarderToKidnap Sat 02-Mar-13 10:38:30

I disagree with not delivering at 4am - that's the best time! Placenta's out, baby's fed and stitches done by 5ish, cup of tea and bit of breakfast for the new family whilst you have a cuppa and do your notes, then she's in the shower and shown to new clean room by 6, just leaving you her room to clean (which obviously you do veeeeerrrry slooooooooowlly), stock everything back up and then it's 7am, just time to update the handover sheet before 7.15 and TIME TO GO HOME!!

This does, of course, rely on no selfish people turning up in labour after your 4am lady has delivered... glares at inconsiderate pregnant women

Flobbadobs Sat 02-Mar-13 10:41:07

Had my first 2 at teatime then my last at 5am! The poor midwife was with me from 3 and I did actually apologise to her for dragging her out, when she phoned me it was obvious that she'd just woke up although she did try to hide it.
DH made her breakfast though...

Badvoc Sat 02-Mar-13 10:41:23

Ds1 was born at 08.27 and ds2 at 10.29.
So the MW that delivered ds1 had literally just had time to introduce herself to me before catching him smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now