UKIP are the new future?

(152 Posts)
LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 22:30:45

Just a small positive thread about UKIP that doesn't involve smears from other parties. I was very glad about Eastleigh and pleased that the voters had seen through the smokescreens and disinformation sent out by the 3 main parties.

Fakebook Fri 01-Mar-13 23:18:12

Google UKIP. First auto complete word that comes up is: UKIP RACIST. 'Nuff said.

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 23:19:14

Many parties have full confidence is idiots until they don't. Do you think this is unusual?

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 23:20:33

Oh Fake, Google, well lets just let google run our lives shall we? Alternatively let have a bit of nous.

BIWI Fri 01-Mar-13 23:21:21

No, I think you'll find that most parties work very hard to determine that any candidates that they are fielding are a good representation of the values of said party.

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 23:22:59

Really, we have had some humdingers recently from mainstream parties.

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 23:25:19

Off to bed now will catch up tomorrow, be gentle hahahaha

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 01-Mar-13 23:29:14

Oh dear LadyP. Our minds are closed because we don't agree with you? Look, UKIP are not the future, thank god, so enjoy their seconds of hope while they last. Luckily the UK electorate is, on the whole, quite rational and can do without one trick ponies like UKIP.

frisson Fri 01-Mar-13 23:30:21

I think failure to censure someone immediately often is a tacit endorsement of their views. Especially in the case you cite. So, I rather feel you proved the caee against you there.

I'm sorry, that's a very lightweight statement.

Anyway, I am genuinely curious why UKIP gets associated with xenophobia and even racism. I know some people suggested I read their manifesto but I'm going to assume it doesn't say they're either of things. So, please, tell me why you have the opinions of this party that you do.

BIWI Fri 01-Mar-13 23:31:03

Well, frisson, what do you think? Why should everyone else have to do your homework for you?

lougle Fri 01-Mar-13 23:31:21

I thought it was interesting that the UKIP representative decided that a majority over the Conservatives of 1000 votes was "a long, long way away from a protest vote..."

Actually, no...it's a reflection that 11571 people couldn't stand to see either the Tories or Lib Dems get the seat. Nothing more, nothing less.

usualsuspect Fri 01-Mar-13 23:32:56

Hahahahah ..... NO.

UdderlyBanal Fri 01-Mar-13 23:33:04

I love the idea that if you don't support UKIP you have a closed mind. Madness! We might just, possibly, have a different POV, you know. It's this kind of statement which sums up the whole warped view of UKIP. "if you don't agree with us it's because you have been fooled by smokescreens" is such utter, utter bollocks.

I'm sorry, no, it's not lightweight. smile

I simply denied your statement. So, my negation has precisely the weight of your positive statement (and I would never be so rude as to suggest that was lightweight, though you were wrong).

Hope that helps to clarify things. smile

If you're curious about why UKIP are xenophobic, talk to any of them for a moment or two - it becomes apparent very soon, unfortunately. Indeed, the name makes it pretty clear to most.

usualsuspect Fri 01-Mar-13 23:35:56

Watered down BNP.

frisson Fri 01-Mar-13 23:45:24

I think failure to censure someone immediately often is a tacit endorsement of their views. That's a huge assumption and you can hardly apply 'often is' to every case as it suits you.

Especially in the case you cite. Ditto.

Is it rude to call a point of view based on clear assumptions 'lightweight'? No offence was intended. FWIW, I've read and enjoyed many of your posts, whether I agree with you or not.

Indeed, the name makes it pretty clear to most.

This is what I find so irksome. Wanting the UK, a sovereign nation, to be independent and self-governing is xenophobic?

YokoUhOh Fri 01-Mar-13 23:46:00

I overheard a relative at a party (DH's family, I hasten to add) boring on about how she voted UKIP. Fair enough, I thought, except that SHE LIVES IN SPAIN FOR HALF THE YEAR hmm

This ^ is typical of UKIP voters: reactionary, ill-thought-out dogma based on the latest Daily Fail hyperbole. These people hark back to a UK that has never existed, and that I would choose to leave should UKIP ever gain any influence.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 01-Mar-13 23:47:33

Why do we have these opinions of the party? Because we have a) read their manifesto and b) have a good understanding of the meaning of the words "racist" and "xenophobic". I am not going to sit here all night all night copying, pasting and explaining in words of few syllables so you can find out. Get a dictionary and use it to help you read the shite that passes for the party dogma.

No, it's not a huge assumption, frisson. Simply my point of view that it's not ok to accept corruption. It's not about it 'suiting' me. It's about what is right.

You seem to think it's acceptable to be corrupt if other parties are corrupt. That hardly inspires confidence.

And yes - wanting the UK to be independent and self-governing, the way UKIP puts it, is xenophobic. Deeply so. Bordering on racist.

frisson Fri 01-Mar-13 23:52:57

It seems you have time to tell me I'm wrong and that I can't understand simple concepts but not the time to back up any of your claims.

What has corruption got to do with not immediately denouncing a rogue party member?

No, I have the time - but you should surely be able to do your own work.

We are concerned that, surely, you should not be arguing from a point of view of total ignorance.

Corruption is quite important to most of us, you see, because some people think integrity is a good quality. Some people even believe that it's nice to stand up for your beliefs. A foreign concept (no pun intended) for you, I accept.

frisson Fri 01-Mar-13 23:58:51

I'm not arguing that they are not racist or xenophobic, I am asking for evidence that they are, as so many of you like to bandy about, apparently without having to worry about the burden of proof.

If making petty insults makes you feel like you've 'won', knock yourself out.

edam Sat 02-Mar-13 00:03:06

I'm at the other end. of the spectrum but 'the conservatives have split our vote' was a fab quote from Farage. And he was the only UK leader to protest when the EC overthrew democratically elected gov'ts in Italy and Greece.

RobotHamster Sat 02-Mar-13 00:10:55

"LadyPessaryPam"

What a lovely and original username.

If you want evidence, you need to do your own work. I am satisfied that they are xenophobic. Why should I educate you? If you are ignorant, it is not my fault.

RobotHamster Sat 02-Mar-13 00:27:37

What the Dragon said grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now