To be concerned about what DD said ?

(38 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:41:42

Dd1 is 3; she attends nursery . The only other people she is around are the nursery children , her grandparents and one set of godparents .

Today I was baby sitting my baby nephew and was changing his nappy .

DD1 said "mummy where's his willy ?"
Me: "where is always is .."
DD1: " but I can't see it , where is it ? "
Me: "there it is "
DD1: "but I can't see it because its not inside out "
Me: confused

Now I don't know whether I'm over thinking things (I'm very hormonal irrational at the moment , but would anyone find this odd ?

I can only assume she has seen this at nursery . I questioned her in a relaxed way and she added that the boys at nursery pull their pants down and hold their willies when they wee .

Should I be concerned ? Or AIB stupidly U?

Jenny70 Sat 02-Mar-13 08:16:59

And assuming she has seen your DH naked (possibly glimpsing a stray nursery willie as well) and made the connection to the cousin's gender. I would assume that she's saying the baby's willie is small and not as dangly!! Most baby willies are rather teeny and if they have a fattie tummy can be almost a bump (searching for the right word here!).

Wouldn't worry at all, purely an observation, rather than any sexualisation of the bits - which would be a worry.

Inseywinseyupthespout Sat 02-Mar-13 06:57:48

Thanks pleased to hear its normal !

Had all sorts going through my very irrational head ! blush

TroublesomeEx Sat 02-Mar-13 05:47:13

Mm mystery solved then if your husband's been done.

My daughter is 6 and is ridiculously fascinated by willies.

It's just a willy. Funny word, funny thing. And girls don't have them.

DeepRedBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 05:36:25

grin TotallyBursar!

TotallyBursar Sat 02-Mar-13 05:26:10

I wasn't worried reading your OP but now you've said your DH is circumcised I'm negative numbers of worry. Even though you say the only willy she has seen is her cousins? I would be surprised if she had never seen her dad's.

My DH has wistfully wished this was the case as he answered a torrrent of willy questions 'Will my willy get big like yours daddy? Did <dsis's> willy fall off? My willy got stuck in my trunks, mummy had to help me, does mummy help you when your willy gets stuck? (actual question, I laughed) in the middle of the supermarket. We quite often got considered opinion on other willies he had seen, delivered in the style of a carefully researched thesis (which, in a way, I suppose it was) or we got the very excited revelations about what exciting thing Jacob from nursery could do with his. Once we got a David Attenborough style lecture about animal penises.

It only gets more interesting and loud from here on out op.

MammaTJ Sat 02-Mar-13 04:51:46

Your DH is circumcised. That explains it then, imo.

missingmumxox Sat 02-Mar-13 03:22:15

I didn't get the inside out thing, but the circ explaination made sense, when I lived in the US my boys used to always ask why their willies where all wrong, as in uncircumcised.
I got from their paeds as well. all the health problems uncirced boys would have in later life..yadda yadda, I used to drolly point out my Brother, Dad and Grandad had all fought war in the desert and not a willy had dropped off...trust me the desert warfare was a number one arguement by docs, and mums I mixed with.
I had a friend who's father in the US is v anti circ and infamious for it and a Jew to boot, My friend sent me an amazing email supporting my NO to circ for my twins, I became to hot to handle after that, in the US it is really another money maker,
I think your daughter sounds lovely and normal, she wants to know why, my boys still don't get why I don't have a willy dispite my best efforts smile

maddening Fri 01-Mar-13 22:52:55

When I was 3 my mum found me by the toilet holding my little finger out over the bowl and when asked what I was doing I replied " I am doing a wee like Christopher does"

I think it's normal for children at this age to become aware of these things and this is het just making sense of what she has seen.

HildaOgden Fri 01-Mar-13 22:26:21

'Not inside out' definitely suggests a circumsised penis to me.She probably doesn't even see the boys in nursery ( a lot of them at that age still sit to pee) so I'd say it's most like a reference to your dh.She has probably spotted him in the bathroom,and noticed the difference between male and female!

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking this.

apostropheuse Fri 01-Mar-13 22:22:49

This might be daft, but is it possible she thinks a willy and vagina are the same thing, hence her saying "inside out"? So, she thinks the willy should be kind of inside out, like a vagina.

Not explaining myself very well, sorry.

sock my first thought was that maybe she was thinking a vagina was penis inside out! but I dont thinkg that woudl quite make sense in the situation

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Mar-13 22:18:30

I think it all sounds pretty normal!

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that a little boy at nursery has said 'look at what my willy can do, it goes inside out!'.

no need to be rude holly

I had to think when op asked..and I have two kids and everything grin

Op mixed up word I think. Also presumably a baby penis and nursery age penis are different sized and that might be what is confusing her

WorraLiberty Fri 01-Mar-13 22:13:21

It sounds as though she has a healthy curiosity and is taking mental notes in the toilet!

I can just imagine the boys wishing she'd go away and stop staring grin

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 01-Mar-13 22:10:24

She does know girls don't ave penis's dosnt she because if she didnt know a vagina is called something different to a penis then that would explain it quite well.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Mar-13 22:09:05

In that case I think she's just mixed up words. This will be the first of many times you'll be confused/worried about things she says wink

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 22:07:47

The only willy she has seen is her cousins .

She knows that she has different bits to him .

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 01-Mar-13 22:05:45

Circumcision was my thought when you said "inside out". Don't think you have anything to worry about.

pigletmania Fri 01-Mar-13 22:05:44

No totally normal. At dd per school the toilets were unisex and I am sure that kids forget to close the door when they go especially when they are little

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Mar-13 22:04:57

Tbh I'm not sure a 3 year old would actually be able to notice the difference between a circumcised or non circumsised willy! ... confused

I'd say she just hasn't been able to explain her words properly. Does she actually know what a willy looks like? Or does she just know the name? She may be expecting to see something that resembles herself?

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 22:03:53

HOLLY grin

I don't have boys .
My DH is circumcised and we are high school sweet hearts so it was a genuine question ! grin

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 22:03:03

Why speechless? It's a possibility.

HollyBerryBush Fri 01-Mar-13 22:00:50

If there are any Muslim or Jewish lads then she could have seen a circumcised one

Do boys retract their foreskin when they wee??

>speechless<

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 21:58:33

If there are any Muslim or Jewish lads then she could have seen a circumcised one.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:56:36

Good point about the circumcision. I wonder if that could be it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now