Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be concerned about what DD said ?

(38 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:41:42

Dd1 is 3; she attends nursery . The only other people she is around are the nursery children , her grandparents and one set of godparents .

Today I was baby sitting my baby nephew and was changing his nappy .

DD1 said "mummy where's his willy ?"
Me: "where is always is .."
DD1: " but I can't see it , where is it ? "
Me: "there it is "
DD1: "but I can't see it because its not inside out "
Me: confused

Now I don't know whether I'm over thinking things (I'm very hormonal irrational at the moment , but would anyone find this odd ?

I can only assume she has seen this at nursery . I questioned her in a relaxed way and she added that the boys at nursery pull their pants down and hold their willies when they wee .

Should I be concerned ? Or AIB stupidly U?

no need to be rude holly

I had to think when op asked..and I have two kids and everything grin

Op mixed up word I think. Also presumably a baby penis and nursery age penis are different sized and that might be what is confusing her

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Mar-13 22:18:30

I think it all sounds pretty normal!

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that a little boy at nursery has said 'look at what my willy can do, it goes inside out!'.

sock my first thought was that maybe she was thinking a vagina was penis inside out! but I dont thinkg that woudl quite make sense in the situation

apostropheuse Fri 01-Mar-13 22:22:49

This might be daft, but is it possible she thinks a willy and vagina are the same thing, hence her saying "inside out"? So, she thinks the willy should be kind of inside out, like a vagina.

Not explaining myself very well, sorry.

HildaOgden Fri 01-Mar-13 22:26:21

'Not inside out' definitely suggests a circumsised penis to me.She probably doesn't even see the boys in nursery ( a lot of them at that age still sit to pee) so I'd say it's most like a reference to your dh.She has probably spotted him in the bathroom,and noticed the difference between male and female!

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking this.

maddening Fri 01-Mar-13 22:52:55

When I was 3 my mum found me by the toilet holding my little finger out over the bowl and when asked what I was doing I replied " I am doing a wee like Christopher does"

I think it's normal for children at this age to become aware of these things and this is het just making sense of what she has seen.

missingmumxox Sat 02-Mar-13 03:22:15

I didn't get the inside out thing, but the circ explaination made sense, when I lived in the US my boys used to always ask why their willies where all wrong, as in uncircumcised.
I got from their paeds as well. all the health problems uncirced boys would have in later life..yadda yadda, I used to drolly point out my Brother, Dad and Grandad had all fought war in the desert and not a willy had dropped off...trust me the desert warfare was a number one arguement by docs, and mums I mixed with.
I had a friend who's father in the US is v anti circ and infamious for it and a Jew to boot, My friend sent me an amazing email supporting my NO to circ for my twins, I became to hot to handle after that, in the US it is really another money maker,
I think your daughter sounds lovely and normal, she wants to know why, my boys still don't get why I don't have a willy dispite my best efforts smile

MammaTJ Sat 02-Mar-13 04:51:46

Your DH is circumcised. That explains it then, imo.

TotallyBursar Sat 02-Mar-13 05:26:10

I wasn't worried reading your OP but now you've said your DH is circumcised I'm negative numbers of worry. Even though you say the only willy she has seen is her cousins? I would be surprised if she had never seen her dad's.

My DH has wistfully wished this was the case as he answered a torrrent of willy questions 'Will my willy get big like yours daddy? Did <dsis's> willy fall off? My willy got stuck in my trunks, mummy had to help me, does mummy help you when your willy gets stuck? (actual question, I laughed) in the middle of the supermarket. We quite often got considered opinion on other willies he had seen, delivered in the style of a carefully researched thesis (which, in a way, I suppose it was) or we got the very excited revelations about what exciting thing Jacob from nursery could do with his. Once we got a David Attenborough style lecture about animal penises.

It only gets more interesting and loud from here on out op.

DeepRedBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 05:36:25

grin TotallyBursar!

TroublesomeEx Sat 02-Mar-13 05:47:13

Mm mystery solved then if your husband's been done.

My daughter is 6 and is ridiculously fascinated by willies.

It's just a willy. Funny word, funny thing. And girls don't have them.

Inseywinseyupthespout Sat 02-Mar-13 06:57:48

Thanks pleased to hear its normal !

Had all sorts going through my very irrational head ! blush

Jenny70 Sat 02-Mar-13 08:16:59

And assuming she has seen your DH naked (possibly glimpsing a stray nursery willie as well) and made the connection to the cousin's gender. I would assume that she's saying the baby's willie is small and not as dangly!! Most baby willies are rather teeny and if they have a fattie tummy can be almost a bump (searching for the right word here!).

Wouldn't worry at all, purely an observation, rather than any sexualisation of the bits - which would be a worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now