To be concerned about what DD said ?

(38 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:41:42

Dd1 is 3; she attends nursery . The only other people she is around are the nursery children , her grandparents and one set of godparents .

Today I was baby sitting my baby nephew and was changing his nappy .

DD1 said "mummy where's his willy ?"
Me: "where is always is .."
DD1: " but I can't see it , where is it ? "
Me: "there it is "
DD1: "but I can't see it because its not inside out "
Me: confused

Now I don't know whether I'm over thinking things (I'm very hormonal irrational at the moment , but would anyone find this odd ?

I can only assume she has seen this at nursery . I questioned her in a relaxed way and she added that the boys at nursery pull their pants down and hold their willies when they wee .

Should I be concerned ? Or AIB stupidly U?

IllGetOverIt Fri 01-Mar-13 21:46:56

I wouldn't worry about it if she explained it as 'when they wee'.

Maybe just keep an eye on it and go with your instinct? She explained it fully IMO.

idiot55 Fri 01-Mar-13 21:48:03

seems odd hat she has seen the boys at nursey wee, I would be questioning why that happens.

If she hadnt said that I wouldnt be too concerned

WipsGlitter Fri 01-Mar-13 21:48:29

What are you worrying about?

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 21:49:19

Boys at nursery often forget to close the doors on the cubicles. I wouldn't worry about it.

PoppyWearer Fri 01-Mar-13 21:49:27

It's not odd, children to the toilet at nursery in mixed groups.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:49:37

I should point out that the nursery is a childcare setting so the boys and girls don't have separate toilets - there are just 3 little cubicles off the side of the play room .

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Mar-13 21:51:24

I wouldn't be worried at all .... and I don't find anything odd about any of this ...
I don't understand what she means by 'its not inside out' ... but she's 3 and they don't always say what they mean exactly.

You say she's only around nursery children, grandparents and one set of godparents ... but she's also around your baby nephew ... I'm reading between the lines and assume you think she could only have seen a willy at nursery?.. but she's seen her cousins..

I'm not really sure I understand your concerns ... but I think everything sounds ok.

thingamajig Fri 01-Mar-13 21:52:43

Can you explain more about why you are concerned? Is it the 'inside out' bit? Could she have seen a circumcised willy?

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:53:08

I guess it was just the "inside out" part - it seems to me like she has seen a retracted foreskin.

Do boys retract their foreskin when they wee ?? confused

No but some of the boys may be circumcised.

AmberLeaf Fri 01-Mar-13 21:55:27

Boys of 3 don't generally retract their foreskin, but yes maybe she has seen a circumcised one?

alarkaspree Fri 01-Mar-13 21:56:01

Boys don't retract their foreskin when they wee, but some are circumcised as thingamajig says. I wouldn't be worried.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 21:56:36

Good point about the circumcision. I wonder if that could be it .

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 21:58:33

If there are any Muslim or Jewish lads then she could have seen a circumcised one.

HollyBerryBush Fri 01-Mar-13 22:00:50

If there are any Muslim or Jewish lads then she could have seen a circumcised one

Do boys retract their foreskin when they wee??

>speechless<

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 22:03:03

Why speechless? It's a possibility.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 22:03:53

HOLLY grin

I don't have boys .
My DH is circumcised and we are high school sweet hearts so it was a genuine question ! grin

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Mar-13 22:04:57

Tbh I'm not sure a 3 year old would actually be able to notice the difference between a circumcised or non circumsised willy! ... confused

I'd say she just hasn't been able to explain her words properly. Does she actually know what a willy looks like? Or does she just know the name? She may be expecting to see something that resembles herself?

pigletmania Fri 01-Mar-13 22:05:44

No totally normal. At dd per school the toilets were unisex and I am sure that kids forget to close the door when they go especially when they are little

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 01-Mar-13 22:05:45

Circumcision was my thought when you said "inside out". Don't think you have anything to worry about.

Inseywinseyupthespout Fri 01-Mar-13 22:07:47

The only willy she has seen is her cousins .

She knows that she has different bits to him .

frazzledbutcalm Fri 01-Mar-13 22:09:05

In that case I think she's just mixed up words. This will be the first of many times you'll be confused/worried about things she says wink

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 01-Mar-13 22:10:24

She does know girls don't ave penis's dosnt she because if she didnt know a vagina is called something different to a penis then that would explain it quite well.

WorraLiberty Fri 01-Mar-13 22:13:21

It sounds as though she has a healthy curiosity and is taking mental notes in the toilet!

I can just imagine the boys wishing she'd go away and stop staring grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now