To ask if anyone knows anything about Meares-Irlrn syndrome - school have suggested I get my DD tested.

(19 Posts)
RichardDawkinsAngel Fri 01-Mar-13 21:30:18

My daughter is articulate and enquiring, with a wide vocabulary and decent enough skills in maths. But her reading lags behind her peers a little and the speed at which she reads is agonisingly slow. School think there may be sime kind of visual or processing problem as there is a disparity between her understanding and IQ and her reading. They have suggested a test for Mearles- Irlen syndrome (also called Irlen syndrome) before a possible referral to the school advisory service. DD is 6 and in Y1.

Apparently this is a visual disturbance where the glare from the paper makes reading hard and the letters and words can 'jump about' on the page. A coloured overlay can apparently help.

Does anyone know anything about this?

MrsMushroom Fri 01-Mar-13 21:32:01

You really would be better asking in Special Needs...that board is full of knowledgeable and helpful people and it's busy too! smile

RichardDawkinsAngel Fri 01-Mar-13 21:33:28

Thank you - good idea!

MGbrand Fri 01-Mar-13 21:52:17

My son was tested for this. I seems that children with the condition maybe see the words moving around the page. He was tested with various colour films over pages of type & any one of these colours can apparently make a world of difference to their reading abilities. There were other physical eye tests etc carried out also. My son didn't have the condition but I did attend all of his appointments if you want any more info.

QOD Fri 01-Mar-13 21:54:20

It was quite a big thing in yr 6 to get diagnosed with this, my niece and a few children in DD's class were all given sheets, none of them seem to use them now though.

Cassarick Fri 01-Mar-13 22:14:59

Yes, my son was tested as he was much the same as your DC - high IQ, but couldn't read etc.

He did have problems and he was prescribed red lenses - he started to read within 3 weeks!

We tested various coloured plastics over black text on a white page.......it can be any colour that helps, depends on the child.

The look on my son's face when the words stopped jumping around was a joy to behold.

blackcats73 Fri 01-Mar-13 22:30:13

Your dd may benefit from an assessment by an orthoptist at a specific learning difficulties clinic at your hospital. She may have problems with eye movements, visual processing etc. My dc has dyspraxia. The orthoptist's therapy has helped along with other interventions. Pm me if you want more info.

smugmumofboys Fri 01-Mar-13 22:36:55

We have a few children with this at the school I teach at. Some use overlays and some need special glasses. Not sitting directly under harsh overhead lights also helps. My school have also introduced the wholesale use of buff coloured paper for photocopies instead of white.

RubyrooUK Fri 01-Mar-13 22:40:37

My friend at school had this. He had special coloured films or sheets for schoolwork and exams etc. He is now a lawyer.

Sorry that isn't very informative but we were all very interested at the time and hoped that his overlays would aid us in exam joy too so we were always nagging to use them. No such luck. grin

FreshLeticia Fri 01-Mar-13 22:52:02

My DH has a blue overlay for reading. He was tested as dyslexic, but this syndrome was not mentioned.
Like your daughter he has no problems elsewhere and has a successful career.
He reads very slowly, word by word, cannot skim read and cannot listen to a speaker and write notes at the same time.
He had extra time in his exams once diagnosed - degree level, but was not diagnosed at school.
your daughter will get great support now she is diagnosed, please don't worry.
hth

MrsLouisTheroux Sat 02-Mar-13 08:31:10
greenandcabbagelooking Sat 02-Mar-13 10:03:44

I have Irlen syndrome. I am fine with black text on white paper, but dark backgrounds and light text make the words jump around. I really struggle with graph paper, the 2mm squared, green stuff because the lines flip about.

Causes a few issues at uni, mainly when lecturers decide to be creative with PowerPoint. Two hours of black background with red text gave me a headache.

binger Sat 02-Mar-13 13:36:51

I have this mildly, according to optician. I'm an avid reader and whilst it does make it trickier to read I guess I've adapted as it certainly doesn't hold me back any.

frogspoon Sat 02-Mar-13 13:40:52

Two hours of black background with red text gave me a headache.

I think two hours solid reading a screen of red on black would give anyone a headache.

My daughter has this. I had no idea it was called that and we all (including the school) described her as dyslexic. She used to use orange overlays after being tested at the opticians. She's 12 now and has more than caught up with her peers and really enjoying school.

Forgot to mention - my daughter seems to have grown out of it now and reads well without the overlays.

JuliaScurr Sat 02-Mar-13 14:18:18

this was suggested by school sen but optician dismissed it as a fad
she's fine now

RichardDawkinsAngel Sat 02-Mar-13 17:37:05

Thank you for all your replies. I have an appointment for her at an opticians who have a page on their website talking about overlays for dyslexics so will take it from there.

Thank you to those of you who have offered to give me extra info. I may be back to take you up on the offer deoending on how the appointment goes.

Hopeforever Sat 02-Mar-13 17:39:53

DD1 has this, diagnosed as an adult, she uses tinted glasses. Rather expensive but she swears by them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now