To think tattoos are actually quite revolting

(160 Posts)
HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:19

And don't improve anyone's* look at all

*exception for tattooed nipple in a reconstructed breast I the patient wants to, and similar.

HilaryClinton Mon 04-Mar-13 10:20:04

If other people don't put themselves up for tattoos, the tattoo artists wouldn't be able to do this amazing service. There would be no tattoo artists to do them, what do you suggest
Apologies that this sounds facetious, but just answering the question: I suggest that they would learn in the same as any other Medical procedure so on cadavers/animals/live volunteers?

she did it because, she had to have her breasts cut off, because they were trying to kill her . You are anthropomorphising cancer. Cancer has no feelings, no thoughts, no sensibilities, it exists. I also feel that her having the tattoo because she had had a mastectomy does not in and of itself make the tattoo beautiful. I accept fully that the tattoo is a response to her mastectomy, and yes I could ask her why she chose that pattern, but my aesthetic judgement remains that when I compare the crop top tattoo to a scar (never mind a reconstruct + tattoo nipple) the scar is better.

having a beautiful bit of art, is a good way of reconnecting with your body. Yes agree with that too, but when it is a Visible Tattoo then almost everyone who sees it will not know it’s provenance. So people will think it is done because that is what she wanted under any circumstances, and will decide whther they think it is beautiful for themselves

Making people with cancer feel uncomfortable because you have not thought your ideas through is lazy at the least, and actually cruel I think that is quite patronising to say the least. And people with big tattoos do know that they are something that splits opinion strongly. If tattoos are a big statement artform then you can’t be all sensitive it you don’t like peoples response to it. You know the more I read mumsnet the more I realise that people will always find something to be upset and offended by. There are plenty of decisions I have made and make that I’ve seen thoroughly slagged off here. But do you know what? I’m happy enough with myself, I don’t need to please all of the people all of the time and can shrug off those with very different views to me. One of the other posters wrote “I’m offended on behalf of…” to be offended on others’ behalf is flipping ridiculous (well certainly in this case it is)

So with your way of thinking, there would be no tattoos, so all the people who find them a good way to deal with cancer scars would not feel comfortable having them, something is revolting and it not the tattoos, hint, do you have a mirror?
No No No, I did not not not say that I thought tattoos should not exist. I said that I personally find them revolting. Over the weekend I might change the classification of some to “pointless” e.g. small flower at hip, fairy on sole of foot. And I did make an exception for reconstruction at the start. Similarly I think that circumcision is pretty gross but accept that it is sometimes necessary and therefore see it as being quite different.

Oh so would you like all the cancer patients, and other people who have an approved tattoo to carry a special badge, so everyone knows it is an approved tattoo and knows not to show disgust, out of interest when you are revolted by tattoos, how is it you determine if it is an exemption? Do you ask? , what wording should go on the badge? By this stage you have started to get hysterical. But taking your point at face value I wouldn’t compel anyone to get or not get a tattoo. I made the point that ‘Natural Nipple’ type tattoos in breast reconstruction do maintain/restore a natural look which I think is nice. I don’t think people with cancer or any other disease should be required to carry cards or be required to justify any decision they regarding their illness to me or anyone else.

I wouldn't bother trying to get you to reconsider your hateful attitude, if it wasn't for fact who ever you are, you will time and again through out your life, be in the company of people who are trying to deal with their body being changed in dramatic ways, when your nasty limited view is inflicted on them, you will be doing real damage, you will be adding to the anguish they are all ready going through. Actually when I was having this discussion with a work colleagues wife what I said was “You have to pick something that you are happy with and can life with, you can’t and won’t please everyone so just please yourself” or you need to be able to say what another poster said to me “Off you fuck Dearie”.

I name change regularly so this is Hilary's last post [your response] Now there is a surprise My regular name changing is by choice. I feel no need to have to. Lots of posters do and your attemot at goading was unsuccessful.

Otzi They did it millennia OK does not give tattoos “cred”. There are a lot of horrible horrible things that happened in otzi’s time that I’m glad to see the back of.

I think that is a part of why some people turn to tattoos as a way of changing that, as each time they catch sight of the scars it reiterates what has happened to their bodies, quite often they tattoo at the point they want to mark the change, the point of moving on.

I went to support a person who was having two tattoos on their wrists, they had been through a long therapy process, to deal with the childhood sexual abuse, which had resulted in them attempting suicide, the tattoos, were a way of changing how the reminders on their body.” Great for them, but the sort of questions it prompts in my head is “won’t a tattoo actually draw attention to it, for wanting to leave something in the past a tattoo seems counterintuitive.”, “why was ink a better option that laser surgery”, “but a tattoo is so permanent, scars do fade with time?” “five ten years later, has it worked?”

MrsKeithRichards Mon 04-Mar-13 10:20:42

I do love it when an OP puts an exception to their ill thought out judgey nonsense. At least we know where we stand.

HilaryClinton Mon 04-Mar-13 10:23:14

Thanks Mrs.KR I'd hate anyone to think I was like really unreasonable or anything smile

MrsKeithRichards Mon 04-Mar-13 10:24:58

I know, can you imagine that shock

financialwizard Mon 04-Mar-13 10:27:53

I have 8 tattoo's, and I ride a motorcycle and I am a female. Do I make you want to hoik your judgey pants any higher?

BlueSkySunnyDay Mon 04-Mar-13 10:33:00

I dont massively like them although I can appreciate them as beautiful art - which 95% of them arent.

I subconsciously think men and women with visible tattoos are a certain "type"

NOW LET ME SAY........................I am WRONG, I am a certain age, I am old fashioned - tattoos only USED to be worn by ex forces, ex prisoners and the type of women who started fights in rough pubs! Today almost anyone can have a tattoo - including my husband, cousin, nephew, brother......

It doesnt hurt anyone, except perhaps limiting the persons career prospects, so in the scheme of things live and let live. I am sure they judge me equally subconsciously for not being thin.

Im off to get my fourth tattoo in 2 hours, hope I've put you off your brunch grin

HilaryClinton Mon 04-Mar-13 11:08:10

Brunch? That would be lovely, but we are a dinner at midday sort of family (and are an hour ahead).
I shall continue my failing war against poor table manners whilst I indoctrinate the littluns against permanent body art

HilaryClinton Mon 04-Mar-13 11:09:21

I hope you enjoy your tattoo, and that you won't mind if I pretend to be squeamish if you ask me whether I want to see it? smile

perplexedpirate Mon 04-Mar-13 12:33:27

I'm going to spend my lunchtime indoctrinating people against saying 'littluns'.
I find it revolting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now