To think tattoos are actually quite revolting

(160 Posts)
HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:19

And don't improve anyone's* look at all

*exception for tattooed nipple in a reconstructed breast I the patient wants to, and similar.

anonymosity Fri 01-Mar-13 20:29:59

I don't have any tattoos but I have been struck by some really beautiful ones I've seen locally (Los Angeles). And there is even a tattoo studio here where the artist's expertise is in covering scars from injury and operations.

quoteunquote Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:15

OP

where else can I "speak as I find"?

Did you read my previous post?

what would you say to these women?

I would like to know.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flobbadobs Fri 01-Mar-13 20:38:31

When done well they are a true art form. The only reason I don't have one is because I will only be able to afford one and I can't make my mind up between 2 images.
YABU and a snob if you really do downgrade friends because they have them.

muffinino82 Fri 01-Mar-13 21:24:47

YANBU to feel that way, it's your choice to.

Happily, I couldn't give a witch's tit what anyone thinks of mine grin

muffinino82 Fri 01-Mar-13 21:33:50

warning this will ruin any previous images of puff the magic dragon

The phoenix on my shoulder was done by the chap who created 'Puff', Dave Fleet - he's ace with all-colour tattoos, I highly recommend him grin

www.abracadabratattoo.co.uk/gallery2/Studio/

You sound like Katie Hopkins.

Do you also vet your children's friends?

Dannilion Fri 01-Mar-13 23:35:15

Another tattoo bashing thread?

Yawn.

No-one cares how you adorn your own body, you'd save a lot of headspace if you adopted the same attitude.

garageflower Fri 01-Mar-13 23:37:27

I don't like them but there are a lot of things i don't like and I'm sure there are a lot of things i do like that others don't.

No biggie.

Moistenedbint Sat 02-Mar-13 00:13:19

^Oh crap my body because I have tattoos offends someone...

But then I find "tarts" offend my eyes just as fat people trying to fit into size 8 clothes... No need to start a thread over it... Your personal opinion and one I don't care about..

Doubt I would ever see a person with tattoos starting a thread about those without being revolting though.. Food for thought for the judemental op who feels the need to err be an idiot^

Fuck me this is tiresome. For the millionth time, everyone "judges" including the lovely "open-minded" devotees of "ink" that you refer to. Human beings are judged or assessed in accordance with the vehicles they drive, the clothes they wear, the property they possess, the fucking hair styles they have, the professions or job roles they occupy, the food they consume etc etc.. And yes many (including the exalted ink set) even start threads on aibu.

Aibu thrives on judgement - get the fuck over it.

Moistenedbint Sat 02-Mar-13 00:26:25

OP yanbu, with very few exceptions, tattoos or "ink" (as it's been elevated to in midde-class circles) can not improve on the amazing feat that is the human body. .

As the saying goes- "when people ask me why I don't have any tattoos I ask them 'Would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?"

Wowserz129 Sat 02-Mar-13 00:27:27

Piss off! I am so bored of these threads on Mumsnet!

UserError Sat 02-Mar-13 00:43:06

YAWN.

Beaverfeaver Sat 02-Mar-13 00:45:44

I love them and have many. DH hates them but loves me so puts up with them. I will get more.

Many people really hate tattoos. It's nothing unusual.

But a few love them.

TheSeniorWrangler Sat 02-Mar-13 00:48:47

there are some personal opinions on appearance that ought to be kept to ourselves.

Opinions on tatts, jewellery and hair colour included.

suburbophobe Sat 02-Mar-13 00:53:25

Hate tattoos, except on Maoris.

I have a skin condition, I would love a clear skin, why would you want to deface it with ink and chemicals into a beautiful clear skin? Or body, for that matter.

Always laugh at the thought of them as a ninety-year-old with wrinkled tattooed skin... <ugh!>

Moistenedbint Sat 02-Mar-13 01:23:50

I have a skin condition, I would love a clear skin, why would you want to deface it with ink and chemicals into a beautiful clear skin? Or body, for that matter.

This!!.. Same here. Abdominal skin has been decimated by pregnancy, have psoriasis etc and cannot understand why someone would sincerely believe that "ink" enhances that.

StuntGirl Sat 02-Mar-13 01:29:38

Oh god, another one of these?

LayMizzRarb Sat 02-Mar-13 01:30:47

If you find them 'revolting' look the other way. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Well, OP, YANBU to find them 'revolting'. You have the right to feel however you wish about tattoos. YABU to 'mentally downgrade' people with tattoos. I have several. I worked, for four years, for a very high-end tour operator. It was a very 'smart' office, all suits and stilettos. I showed up for the interview in skinny jeans and a shirt, tattoos on full display (without about an inch of spikey, white-blonde hair). They hired me, because I was excellent at what I did. They allowed me to show up to work in dresses and 20-eye Docs, with my tattoos on display, because I was excellent at my job. I frequently met with very important clients, with my tattoos, and they did not care a jot. During those four years, I did not once meet anyone who 'mentally downgraded' me due to my tattoos. Probably because I regularly negotiated huge deals, was excellent at wooing clients, and made the company millions during my time there.

VerySmallSqueak, I feel exactly the same. All of my tattoos have meaning, and remind me of a point in my past. I have one on my left forearm, in particular, that makes me smile. I had it done with an old, very close friend of mine. She is now living on the other side of the world, with children and a very busy life. We almost never see each other. Yet every time I look at this tattoo, I remember that summer, how close we were, how fun and free, how we spent weeks planning tattoos, and the evening we had them done, then went for Italian food and lots of wine, so delighted with our new tattoos, showing them off. To have a reminder of that amazing carefree summer, that wonderful friendship, right here on my arm, is just lovely.

HilaryClinton Sat 02-Mar-13 07:03:54

quoteunquote firstly read my original caveat.

The pictures linked are a real mixture. Some are "nipples" and I think that they look natural - that's what I'd say. At the other end the lady who has chosen the crop top tattoo. I would say "wow , that's amazing. Did it take long to do" what I think is OMG and a bewildered why did you do that?

ShadowsCollide again a bewildered Why did you do that for an end of Summer tatt. But obviously one of mild momentary curiosity to your face smile

threebats Sat 02-Mar-13 07:19:05

Oh, not another thread where somebody has come on slagging off tattoo's therefore causing upset and offence to those with them?
I do not start threads slagging off people whose bodies do not have tattoos!

OP - if all you have got to be concerned about in life is how revolting other people's tattoo's are then good for you, what a charmed life you have.

I am off to shower then oil my tattoo's, the only thing revolting here is one person's opinion being slung about with such carelessness for other people's rights, thoughts and feelings.

GirlOutNumbered Sat 02-Mar-13 07:20:28

Another thread on this. Really? Do you not have anything more imaginative to be unreasonable about?!

threebats Sat 02-Mar-13 07:28:06

I'm with you girloutnumbered All this talk of tattoos is rather upsetting for me as I am trying to save up money to have a new one done and the jar of spare cash saved is dwindling each day - sure the offspring are dipping into it as a new sweet shop opened up down the road from the school 4 weeks ago - suddenly I am pennies short and my bin is full of half sucked gobstoppers.... Outrageous! I am off to wake them up and shout, 'Am I being unreasonable to ask you to at least give me a gobstopper out of the bag of 10 you bought?'
smile
x

quoteunquote - those mastectomy tattoos are beautiful! My Mum has one on her reconstruction also.

Some tattoos are great, some are terrible. I'm having one designed for myself right now. It's taken years for me to get it together as I don't want to do something I'd regret.

I can see how they could make people squeamish, but to "downgrade" someone just because they have one (or many)....don't get that sorry. SO many different types of people have them now.

I've seen that dragon one before years ago....still makes me wince now grin Beautifully done though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now