Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think tattoos are actually quite revolting

(160 Posts)
HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:19

And don't improve anyone's* look at all

*exception for tattooed nipple in a reconstructed breast I the patient wants to, and similar.

quoteunquote Fri 01-Mar-13 19:48:45

warning this will ruin any previous images of puff the magic dragon

You only have one life, as long as you are doing no harm, then you should be free to live it without negative comment from others.

I've never been into tattoos for me I did think about having one of lady cottington's fairies on the sole of my foot I like the idea but never enough to do it, but this year I had to have three, they were used to line up my radiotherapy.

and I am glad that people put themselves up to be practised on by tattoo artists, because it means when they are really needed they can do wonderful things like this without all the volunteers, this would not be possible, and not everyone can have reconstruction.

these amazing 3D tattoos volunteers, mean that now tattoo artists can do this which really helps people because if you have nipple reconstruction they take a bit from your labia, which unless you are seriously weird is no fun, and if you have just had to have your breast cut off, go through cemo, then have a reconstruction operation, that is one cherry on the top, you won't look forward to,

mastectomy tattoos are usually done on people who never in their life thought they were going have a tattoo,

So do fuck off with your judgements, because having skilled tattoo artists is beneficial in ways you should hope you only get to imagine.

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:48:48

You are revolted? You "downgrade" people because they have tattoos. Now you see, i could be really upset by this because I have tattoos and my DD has them too. In fact i paid for her to have one for her birthday one year. She designed all her owen tattoos and they are stunning. She even has one on her neck - i was a bit shock and hmm when he had it because its not small! She has a huge koi carp japanese design on her tummy - again she designed it herself. When i look at my DD i don't see someone who is "rough" or stupid, i see someone who is beautiful and her tattoos are part of her. She has a quirky personality and quirky looks - I am so so proud of her. And OP i coudlnt give a flying stuf WHAT you think of me and her, you don't really sound like my sort of person.

People say about regretting tattoos - i have some and if i had my time over again i would have had did very different ones and put more thought into them but no i absolutely do not and never will regret them. I had DD1s name tattoo'd underneath the first tattoo i had of a tiger cub, i liked that our "rebellion" is linked now. I remember my tattoos as part of a different me (the non boring me) and i love them.

DPs arms are covered in tattoos - and his hands, most of our friends are not tattooed and a bit middle class type. When i mention this, they say they didn't realise he even had them. Because they see HIM first, tattoos later.

When DD2 is 18 (she is 7 now) and wants a tattoo, i'll pay for it for her birthday

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:49:10

I think tattoos are so commonplace as to be beyond types.
LRD in public I try to follow that line but this is AIbU where else can I "speak as I find"?
Trying to hard... Dunno ...to be like Peter Andre who really really loves his kids and needs us all to know it?

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Mar-13 19:49:35

I used to think like you, OP. But then I copped onto myself. Nobody's making me get one.

I mean, seriously, who cares? You don't like them. That teeny, tiny fact isn't going to stem the tide of other people getting them, so your thread just looks small-minded and sneery. smile

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Mar-13 19:51:50

I speak as I find. grin God, is anyone else reminded of the awful brown-jumper wearing, ladies' purse clutching Thomas in Last Chance Saloon?

Ha ha!!

ANOTHER tattoo thread?

Blimey, the 15 Minute Hate topics need a bit of an overhaul, don't they?

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:53:14

Lucyellensmum. Of course you feel proud of your daughter. I try to imagine what you've described on my girls and I feel ill.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 01-Mar-13 19:53:37

My tattoo is neither mutilation nor improvement.

It's a marker of a time and a place.Of a person I was at a particular time.

When I am an old woman I will look on my tattoo with fondness and remember some really good memories.

countrykitten Fri 01-Mar-13 19:54:02

They are pretty vile but meh...who really cares if that's what people want to do to themselves?

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 19:54:46

Have you even bothered clicking on quote's links?

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:54:56

Nobody is making me get one. Yes. But if they are visible them I have to see them.
I don't inflict "my chosen artform" on any unwilling person.

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:55:44

Youthecat. Not yet, but will get round To it. Promise.

mrsjay Fri 01-Mar-13 19:56:16

I try to imagine what you've described on my girls and I feel ill.

oh dear I really really hope they dont get 1 or 5

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Mar-13 19:56:27

So what's your solution to this problem then, Hilary?

Mumblepot26 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:04:43

With you OP, they just look so cheap

80sMum Fri 01-Mar-13 20:04:50

No, you are not at all unreasonable to think that OP; you are entitled to your opinion.

I don't see the attraction of tattoos myself either, but each to his own.

countrykitten Fri 01-Mar-13 20:06:32

Or indeed her own. smile

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:11:03

PMSL at "i don't choose to inflict my own artform on an unwilling person" So you keep all your "art" to yourself do you and expect everyone to conform then? All those cafes and shops inflicting "art" on you, it must make you feel quite ill.

As for your passive aggressive comment about my daughter - just do one!

ChristineDaae Fri 01-Mar-13 20:11:11

Oh Hilary I would love to be in your house should your daughter come home with a tattoo!

targaryen24 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:12:10

There's stating you don't like them & saying you don't say it out loud...but you just stated that imagining lucyellensmum 's tattoo on your daughter makes you feel ill hmm

There's a line. You're crossing it...

Manchesterhistorygirl Fri 01-Mar-13 20:21:26

Hilary would you say that to a Maori perhaps? Would their chosen "art" make you feel ill?

Of course not, so don't be so rude to others. They have ink, it's not as if they are stood in the street effing and jeffing at you are they?

I find that quite lovely, VerySmallSqueak smile

I have a severe needle phobia. If I didn't I'd have a tattoo or 3, most likely.

Poppet48 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:27:01

YABU and you've started a thread which is going to insult a lot of people.

Tattoos are a personal choice and mean an awful lot to some people, I don't have any tattoos but if I thought about what I wanted I would definitely get one.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 01-Mar-13 20:28:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 01-Mar-13 20:29:38

It's true Beer smile

So often you hear people say that they worry they'll look awful/ridiculous when they're old and wrinkly with tattoos.
But I am looking forward to (further) wrinkliness with my tats.
When I see an old woman with tattoos I am immediately drawn to her - like she has a story to tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now