Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think tattoos are actually quite revolting

(160 Posts)
HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:19

And don't improve anyone's* look at all

*exception for tattooed nipple in a reconstructed breast I the patient wants to, and similar.

YouTheCat Fri 01-Mar-13 19:04:21

You can think what you like. How about thinking it in your head instead of out loud? hmm

NamelessHereForEvermore Fri 01-Mar-13 19:04:41

I agree but I don't much fancy your chances here grin

gillian88 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:04:52

DH has one on his arm, it's DSs name in an ancient language and I find it rather sexy wink

Up to you, isn't it? It's not terribly polite to comment, though.

There are those who find poor manners revolting, too. wink

freddiefrog Fri 01-Mar-13 19:08:24

I tend to think bogies, vomit, spitting in public and pus-filled zits are quite revolting

Images someone has had inked on to their own body, whilst not to your taste or liking, are pretty harmless

VerySmallSqueak Fri 01-Mar-13 19:11:33

I'm interested to know what it is exactly that revolts you.

I love my tattoo and would like another some day.

But I am not revolted at all by anyone else's choice of artwork.

Is it the art work that revolts you,or what you consider a tattoo to represent?

usualsuspect Fri 01-Mar-13 19:11:36

I find goady threads on MN quite revolting.

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:11:38

Oh I don't say it out loud, but I do mentally ... Well downgrade I suppose when other people show them to me, or even worse have them visible.

ChristineDaae Fri 01-Mar-13 19:12:21

Pft each to their own. I personally find un-pierced belly buttons revolting. They just look to weird. Love my tattoos though! Each to their own hey! wink

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:13:37

I'm revolted by a sense that it is a mutilation rather than an improvement. The names/dates/faces all seem to be trying to hard.

I find people who decide to start a thread about their inane thoughts in order to start a bunfight revolting.

thebody Fri 01-Mar-13 19:14:31

No. Couldn't care less about it. Each to own.

Stickwithit Fri 01-Mar-13 19:14:45

I don't find them revolting. I wouldn't have one myself because I feel sure I would eventually grow to dislike anything that I choose- sort of in the same way that over time material things begin to look a bit old fashioned.

ravenAK Fri 01-Mar-13 19:14:54

Well, we all have our silly little prejudices, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, for those of us who don't share this particular one...

tattoo acceptance

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:15:12

MissyMoo I thought that was what Friday was specifically for smile

AnneNonimous Fri 01-Mar-13 19:15:29

I love my tattoos and couldn't really give a monkeys if you don't. I'm not sure why it should revolt you. Nobody's making you get one.

HilaryClinton Fri 01-Mar-13 19:17:18

RavenAK... Sorry but emm really, how can I put this... Speechless

Messandmayhem Fri 01-Mar-13 19:18:31

I couldn't care less wether someone has a tattoo or not. I have 3. If they revolt people that's fine, I wasn't out to impress anyone with them.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Mar-13 19:19:41

Erm... Don't have one then confused

stargirl1701 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:20:05

Did you mean to be so rude?

targaryen24 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:21:22

People who can't respect other people's choices revolt me...

hmm

FeckOffCup Fri 01-Mar-13 19:22:37

The names/dates/faces are trying too hard to do what?

FairyJen Fri 01-Mar-13 19:23:03

I have a fabulous tattoo it's in huge letters across my back and says "I hate Hilary Clinton" ( not you obviously ) wink

I don't really understand why you needed to post this OP, though, and to use terminology you must have known would upset people. You are saying it 'out loud', in that you're typing it on a public forum.

Personally, I am very squeamish and so I do genuinely find body piercings (including the ordinary ear piercings) and tattoos something that I do not like to think about too hard. I can't help thinking about the pain, even though I know it's not very painful, and I have a visceral reaction the way others might to needles poked under skin or splinters in your nailbed. But, that's a personal reaction and it says much more about me than anyone else. I can't help feeling it but I can avoid saying anything that would upset someone else who doesn't share my squeamishness and who does have a tattoo or a piercing. I think it's a basic part of human decency to think if you're going to upset someone by telling them something about them revolts you, and to reconsider saying that out loud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now