to be a bit in love with Ricky Gervais?!

(142 Posts)
potsyandco Wed 27-Feb-13 22:37:35

Watching Making of Derek. I love Derek. It's caring, heartfelt, poignant and funny.

Ricky Gervais is funny, clever and caring (yes, I really do think that!) and not bad looking (even more shocking, I know!)

So, AIBU? I presume I'm alone in this one...

smile

zzzzz Thu 28-Feb-13 18:32:00

Fin=fine

Theicingontop Thu 28-Feb-13 18:32:09

<Goes to watch yet another Ricky Gervais video because yanbu>

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 18:36:21

No, zzzzz, I've would have to categorically explain that he wasn't racist. Once he had done that,bit would be up to the person concerned whether they were offended or not. Nothing to do with RG at all.

WifeofPie Thu 28-Feb-13 18:38:11

YABU! Ewwwwww....

zzzzz Thu 28-Feb-13 18:40:43

And if he just made comments about "n####rs" in general?

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 18:43:12

Fine- so long as he explained categorically that he wasn't racist......

hazeyjane Thu 28-Feb-13 18:43:56

No, Binks I'm sorry but you are just wrong. I think it is possible to use a word and not realise how much damage it does. Using the word mong in a jokey derogatory way, or autistic as an insult or calling someone retarded to describe how stupid they are does an enormous disservice to people with learning disabilities. These are people who are often vulnerable, who have no voice, and may struggle to defend themselves. But it's fine, because, you know it's just a joke and people who disagree with me are just jealous and have no sense of humour...etc etc. Except that when a large number of your followers and fans agree with you that mong jokes are hilarious, it legitamises their use of the word in ways like the following,

'haha Some bloke was getting pushed in a wheelchair drooling cos he was a mong and bigdog wiped his mouth'

(tweeted by an RG fan, to a girl who had criticised RG)

I think when Ricky Gervaise apologised he did realise he had genuinely upset and insulted real people, which is why he apologised specifically to Nicky Clarke, who blogged her message of hurt so eloquently to him. The thing is it is so easy to make these sort of remarks and jokes when you don't think about the real people who you are hurting when you make them.

zzzzz Thu 28-Feb-13 18:44:10

shock

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 28-Feb-13 18:44:42

No I'm saying that if Dre calls Snoop one, he's not a racist. Nothing to do with Ricky Gervais. Or any of you. Did I say we could all go around saying it? I'm saying, it doesn't have just one meaning, although it is not socially acceptable to use it. The same as mong. At no time have I said, let's all jump on the mong train. I don't think anyone should be using it. Or nigger.

f you want to still call Dr Dre a racist though, despite the fact that no offense was meant, then I think you're simply determined to be offended.

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 18:48:24

Right. I now officially don't understand a word you're saying.

Figgygal Thu 28-Feb-13 18:56:05

No idea on all the racism stuff but back to op ......I've fancied him for years much to the amusement of pretty much everyone I know grin

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 28-Feb-13 18:56:14

Did you know that the word nice has been through several meanings in its lifetime? Did you know that it was once considered an insult?

Meanings change. It doesn't mean we should go around using them, but we do have to consider that there may be a crossing over period where it can be misconstrued.

hazeyjane Thu 28-Feb-13 18:58:55

Hmm, ok Binks. However if someone uses the word 'mong' whilst making a gurning face I am going to go with the, insulting tosser explanation.

hazeyjane Thu 28-Feb-13 19:00:01

I think you're simply determined to be offended.

I think you are determined to defend the indefensible.

GoOnDoOne Thu 28-Feb-13 19:07:56

The fabulous Dean Atta on the n word. Just linking that because I'm a fan. No particular relevance really. When my DS was called a 'little ant head spaz' in a hospital waiting room by another child, in full earshot of its parents, I wish I'd been able to respond with anything approaching such eloquence.

countrykitten re the eyebrows. I have nothing against a man who looks after himself. But the eyebrows plucked and shaped to within an inch of their lives look is, imho, not attractive. And would act as a fairly large impediment to my falling in love with them. Don't be too upset now Ricky if you're reading, eh? grin

PureedGoodness Fri 01-Mar-13 09:11:22

gutted! missed the making of derek on wed. does anyone know if its repeated?

hazeyjane Fri 01-Mar-13 11:09:14

Thankyou for that link, GoOnDoOne - as you say, oh to be so eloquent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now