to be a bit in love with Ricky Gervais?!

(142 Posts)
potsyandco Wed 27-Feb-13 22:37:35

Watching Making of Derek. I love Derek. It's caring, heartfelt, poignant and funny.

Ricky Gervais is funny, clever and caring (yes, I really do think that!) and not bad looking (even more shocking, I know!)

So, AIBU? I presume I'm alone in this one...

smile

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 09:58:18

The mong thing was disgusting- but he is still lovely and sensitive......

mrsjay Thu 28-Feb-13 09:59:54

but he just annoys me seeker I did used to like him but he went all hollywood and smug

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 10:01:37

Loving all the vitriol....confused....still he would probably laugh his head off at some of the ridiculous comments on here 'the chippy boy from Whitley who didn't get in to the grammar school'....WTF?

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 10:01:58

And as for the Cancerian thing....

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 10:09:08

Sorry- the lovely and sensitive thing was sarcasm......grin

mrsjay Thu 28-Feb-13 10:12:45

Oh Ok seeker i am not awake yet I am normally on the ball with the sarcasim

PPT Thu 28-Feb-13 10:17:32

I likes him a lot... [guilty pleasure!]

LaalRatty Thu 28-Feb-13 10:18:31

IMO Kerry Godliman is the best thing about Derek. We used to work together and she is so lovely and warmhearted (and bloody hilarious with it). I have no opinion of Ricky.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 28-Feb-13 10:23:02

I am back to really liking him after watching Derek. It's so sweet and not what I expected at all. I was expecting him to rip the piss out of people with SN.

It had me in tears more than once. Just so thoughtfully written and endearing.

The mong debacle was not impressive. I think he might have redeemed himself a bit now.

I wouldn't shag him though. His teeth are weird.

DreamingofSummer Thu 28-Feb-13 10:26:17

There is no circle of hell deep, dark and painful enough for Gervais. A prick of the highest order

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 11:28:13

Kerry Goldiman is indeed fabulous - I love her! Glad that she is as lovely in RL as she seems on tv.

lolaflores Thu 28-Feb-13 11:36:22

A creeping fascination has occured in my deepest darkest crevices regarding RG. I went from really wanting to be outraged by Derek, to looking forward to it and feeling militant about the way the elderly are treated today. I don't see any stereotypes in it, in any level. I don't see any losers or tossers (Kev excepted). The bit on the beach scrabblling around in rock pools to me looked like an afternoon chez Gervais, simple and fascinated with those things around us. Yes to the sentimentality but it makes a nice change from cynical and world weary. In the red corner, the Sue Perkins offering was dull, simplistic and underwhelming. So self referential to be embarrassing. silly dotty mum, the closet gay daughter pretending she had a boyfriend and a dead cat in her handbag. not good. hope it improves.

EllieArroway Thu 28-Feb-13 12:54:06

FFS - the "mong" thing.

As far as he was concerned, the word "mong" (which he's been using for a long time) had changed in terms of meaning. Words have a habit of doing this in case you hadn't noticed - be aware next time you use the term "idiot" since it literally means "a mentally deficient person".

He was NOT referring to people with Down's Syndrome & had no idea that the word was ever used in that context today.

When he was confronted with it (a lot) he did what many, many people would be unable to do - he accepted he was wrong and apologised.

There's no justification for shrieking "disablist" every time his name is mentioned. He made a mistake. He's moved on, why don't you?

Jeez.

zzzzz Thu 28-Feb-13 14:10:20

"He's moved on, why don't you"

Really! shock. What an utterly unbelievable attitude.

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 14:18:30

Wow. A mistake that took him, I think, two weeks to acknowledge. While being very unpleasant to anyone who challenged him

And if you seriously believe that an educated man of his age did not know the derivation of the word "mong" then I've got a lovely tin of striped paint here you can buy......

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 28-Feb-13 14:24:28

Out of interest, what does everyone think was wrong with An Idiot Abroad?

I've never heard that be bought into a debate about the wrongs and rights of Ricky Gervais before!

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 14:26:26

It's all lets laugh at the funny foreigners but we can all say we're laughing at what's his name, so if anyone objects we can call them po faced and humourless. Everything he does is like that.

LottieJenkins Thu 28-Feb-13 14:27:54

EllieArroway Of course he knew what he was doing! He even pubished a picture on Twitter of him making a face so he knew damn well what he was doing.first picture on this page Oh and I wont "move on" because i have several friends who have Downs Syndrome and i will stick up for them till the day i die!

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 28-Feb-13 14:34:27

Oh he knew what it meant alright. He apologised. He hasn't done it since.

Do you beat people with the same shitty stick IRL when they've made an error of judgement?

hazeyjane Thu 28-Feb-13 14:34:33

I just do not understand how the awful 'Mong' debacle can be squared with the idea that Derek is a sensitive portrayal of....what, I'm not sure, is Derek supposed to have special needs? I just find his whole schtick badly thought out and badly acted.

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 14:37:41

He fought it for, I think, two weeks. He had it explained to him on day 1, but refused to accept it.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 28-Feb-13 14:39:58

I think (and I could be wrong) that the reluctance to accept and admit might have been a misjudged way of trying to avoid a massive backlash. That and he was probably embarrassed.

I don't buy that he's an evil wanker like Frankie Boyle, who goes out of his way to be vile to the vulnerable in society.

hazeyjane Thu 28-Feb-13 14:52:25

I think he apologised because when there was an outcry about his use of the word mong, his fans spouted tons of disabilist horseshit about 'drooling mongs in wheelchairs' etc. He then blogged that he had no awareness that the word was still used to describe people with down's syndrome (this despite the word mongoloid being used in this way in Extras). Eventually he did apologise to Nicola Clark (who wrote a very good piece about it pre apology here.

countrykitten Thu 28-Feb-13 15:08:01

Yes to the fact that idiot is not the most pc word in the world if one thinks about it - and pretty much everyone accepts it and uses it often. I understand EllieArroway's point.

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 28-Feb-13 15:14:34

Agreed about the word idiot. I assume all users of it hate people with a low IQ?

Or is that different because it should be perfectly obvious what you actually meant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now