Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to be a bit in love with Ricky Gervais?!

(142 Posts)
potsyandco Wed 27-Feb-13 22:37:35

Watching Making of Derek. I love Derek. It's caring, heartfelt, poignant and funny.

Ricky Gervais is funny, clever and caring (yes, I really do think that!) and not bad looking (even more shocking, I know!)

So, AIBU? I presume I'm alone in this one...

smile

Startail Wed 27-Feb-13 23:54:22

YABVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVUR

EllieArroway Thu 28-Feb-13 00:08:37

I love him too. But my love is based on the podcasts which I think show who he really is. He's vastly more intelligent & decent than people realise.

And yes - I think he's quite good looking too, so you're not entirely alone wink

Witco Thu 28-Feb-13 00:12:02

Nnoooooooooo!

EllieArroway Thu 28-Feb-13 00:13:11

Yes - and a very, very quotable atheist too.

"Where do I go when I die? Same place my voice goes". Perfect.

FillyPutty Thu 28-Feb-13 00:14:52

YABVU.

pictish Thu 28-Feb-13 00:15:32

Ugh no.
I like his new series Derek. It's excellent.
The Office was legendary.

I wouldn't go there though. The thought makes me queasy. Just no. Blick!

ChipTheFish Thu 28-Feb-13 00:16:46

My name is ChipTheFish and I love Karl Pilkington. I love him. And the best thing is, it's okay to fancy the pants off him because my DP is his double!

EchoBitch Thu 28-Feb-13 00:19:21

Ewwww.
He.Is.Vile.

smellysocksandchickenpox Thu 28-Feb-13 00:29:22

I think he is sometimes in a character when people think he's being himself/speaking for himself IYKWIM

Derek makes me well up ever time! beautiful!

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 06:34:35

The "mong" incident?

HollyBerryBush Thu 28-Feb-13 06:50:17

He's all yours OP - apart from the dreadfull yellow fangs (I mean with all that money you would get them fixed wouldn't you?) he is a very one dimensional character actor, and unfortunately he seems to play himself. All the time. David Brent was Ricky Gervaise, no acting involved.

An Idiot Abroad, need we say more?

seeker Thu 28-Feb-13 06:55:01

Absolutely. And I can't believe all this Derek is beautiful and sensitive. No it's not. It's at best absurdly sentimental- at worst offensive. And An Idiot Abroad......words fail me.

PureedGoodness Thu 28-Feb-13 06:58:32

I secretly have a crush on him too.

i find him funny. love him in derek he cracks me up. How he and karl keep straight faces is beyond me. not seen the making of tho...when was it on?

idiot abroad v funny too.....

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 28-Feb-13 06:58:43

Ugh no. All I see is the chippy boy from Whitley who didn't get into the grammar school.

Though I did like The Office. And it is hard to see where Ricky G leaves off and his character takes over.

Ugh no, he's a prize prick

ripsishere Thu 28-Feb-13 07:00:27

YANBU.

lottie63 Thu 28-Feb-13 07:13:09

Derek is very good - mostly. A bot over-sentimental with the plinky-plonky piano music. I'm still waiting for an old person to be represented 'normally' though. Last night's episode was funny at times and poignant too but still capitalised on 'old people aren't sexual and let's depict them engaged in inappropriate thigh stroking' (yawn). And I'm still waiting for Kev to break out of his one dimensional character cause that too has had its comedic day now. I like Gervais and Pilkington's acting though.

ErikNorseman Thu 28-Feb-13 07:55:32

He's awful. He uses the word 'mong' and he doesn't care how offensive it is. Vile.

Jayne266 Thu 28-Feb-13 08:03:25

Eww

LottieJenkins Thu 28-Feb-13 08:12:43

He is a total and utter dickwad! He is almost on par with my hatred of "he who's name i won't mention who was so derogatory to KP's son!" Anyone who calls people m****s is a disgrace!

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 28-Feb-13 08:32:02

YANBU.

I wouldn't pork him but I do love Ricky Gervais.

StephaniePowers Thu 28-Feb-13 08:52:06

He thinks it's all right to make money out of being as nasty and 'boundary-pushing' as he can be. I enjoyed The Office, because it was a crappy, undereducated middle-management shithead being cruelly set up: I've worked with/for them, many of us have, hey ho.

Then he went on to choose a group or a person, and just be as nasty as possible in the name of making money, many times over. I realised The Office was not groundbreaking comedy, it was just the first in one of his many get-back-at-the-world routines. Pathetic.

I absolutely loathe him.

mrsjay Thu 28-Feb-13 08:54:56

have him he would make me vom he is just URGH and not that funny a wee bit smug and a bit of a git but knock yourself out lovey grin

mrsjay Thu 28-Feb-13 08:57:59

ok the mong thing was disgusting it really was but I dont think his writing is in anyway disabilist I liked the office that and I think his attitude to the woman in the wheelchair was about sterotype and trying to hard I thought it was quite funny, he is still a smug git though

Snowme Thu 28-Feb-13 09:09:53

I find him instinctively repellant but can't deny he has a screen charisma of sorts, however icky.

It's the uneasy feeling that you can't quite tell what you are getting with him, is he clever and perceptive or just an over-rated wally ... a bit like another arch-hate of mine, Derren Brown.

He's a Cancerian though. One thing I can safely generalise on with them in my prolific experience is that they do not give anything away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now