AIBU when meeting new people, to judge them by the way they speak

(111 Posts)
PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 20:51:23

When meeting new people, I tend to listen to the way in which they speak, and then make a judgement- however the judgement shows with a snobbish face which I unfortunately inherited from my mother.

This is the latest scenario:

I have recently been skiing with my DH and DC along with friends who we regularly travel with. My friend this year introduced us to her new partner, whom I instantly disliked! Firstly, upon meeting the chap he called me 'babe' 'sweet haart' (pronounced as spelt) and speaking like a cockney, I felt like I was on an eastenders set! Personally it triggered all kinds of snobbish reactions for example when he asked me 'do ya wanna drink' I sharply replied 'NO THANK YOU'. In addition he repeatedly arranged his .... and sat with his legs so far apart that when I was made to sit next to him I found my self crossing my legs so tightly that my nose and lips looked like old raisons; obvious I was disgusted.

My friend confronted me about the issue- and I told her I thought he was not good enough for her, bearing in mind DF is a solicitor and is very elegant. It did not go down very well at all- and now we're not speaking.

DH told me that it's becoming an issue, since whenever I meet new people who I dislike my Mother Snob comes out! It's so embarrassing but I cannot seem to stop!!

Am I being an unreasonable snob or am I being fair?

Advice??

ChristineDaae Wed 27-Feb-13 21:35:53

Pft you'd hate me. Good job I already think pure a bit of a bitch!

Locketjuice Wed 27-Feb-13 21:36:01

Haha speaking from experience? Yes. Shit. You got me. I have a strong cockney accent and my best friend is a murderer! Your a prick end of. smile

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Wed 27-Feb-13 21:36:28

0/10

BOF Wed 27-Feb-13 21:36:52

You're not worried about grammar either, then? Super.

usualsuspect Wed 27-Feb-13 21:38:15

Oh my, we have poor children now.

grin

BOF Wed 27-Feb-13 21:38:25

Why am I even bothering with this? MN is full of tripe tonight; I think I'll read a book instead.

usualsuspect Wed 27-Feb-13 21:38:47

Did you feel sorry for the children?

Foggles Wed 27-Feb-13 21:39:10

Same here BOF.

I think I'll go and take my elegant bones for a lie down.

usualsuspect Wed 27-Feb-13 21:39:23

Loads of 20p books for the kindle.

I read one last night, kept me off MN.

Fakebook Wed 27-Feb-13 21:39:37

You plonkaaaa. (Pronounced as spelled)

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:40:15

Foggles no at times she did mention to her partner she wasn't happy with the way he was treating her at the time- yet he failed to listen. I guess his behaviour has just triggered an assortment of sentiments!

Thingiebob Wed 27-Feb-13 21:42:17

Your story HAS changed completely, plus for someone who judges people on pronunciation, you write badly.

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:45:03

Am I concerned with the way I write on a social network site= I think not- I'm not re-writting my Dissertation!

OliviaKnowsBestMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 21:47:40

Hi there OP

This is a rather puzzling thread - you appear to be asking for advice about accents and relationships and all sorts - is there anywhere else you think your thread might be better suited?
smile

usualsuspect Wed 27-Feb-13 21:49:07

lol at re-writting. grin

usualsuspect Wed 27-Feb-13 21:49:47

Like Netmums, Olivia?

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:51:41

Re writing* *excuse the ipad corrections, my keyboard is French hence the spelling!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Wed 27-Feb-13 21:53:15

I can think of a place or two Olivia grin

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:53:20

Olivia- Not particularly, to be honest I was just looking for sensible advice, there has only been one piece of advice worth any value, the rest, well highlights my point!

Sorry OP I can't understand what you're saying, could you, if it is at all possible as I wouldn't want to put you out, remove your head from your arse, it might reduce the level of shit your spouting.

Bue Wed 27-Feb-13 21:54:26

This is hilarious!

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:57:09

Binky- First, I don't spout shit, and second I would appreciate it if you could refrain from 'riding again' in this conversation; gratuitous

PennyBrowne Wed 27-Feb-13 21:59:20

I'm finding this quite interesting too Bue... grin

Fairenuff Wed 27-Feb-13 22:00:01

I found my self crossing my legs so tightly that my nose and lips looked like old raisons

grin grin grin

That statement has made my day, OP.

Just how tight would that actually have to be. Could you crack walnuts for example?

Dawndonna Wed 27-Feb-13 22:03:03

Darling, do please apply your standards to your spelling, punctuation and grammar. All of which is pretty abominable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now