to never, ever go to the Maldives on holiday

(123 Posts)
Sallyingforth Wed 27-Feb-13 12:14:35

after reading this report...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21595814

SucksToBeMe Thu 28-Feb-13 18:20:51

That poor poor girl. She has been key down by so many people.

SucksToBeMe Thu 28-Feb-13 18:21:19

Let down

LineRunner Thu 28-Feb-13 18:28:36

I think that there are plenty of wonderful places to see and visit in countries that do not torture and lash rape victims.

Smudging Thu 28-Feb-13 18:32:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyPessaryPam Thu 28-Feb-13 18:34:27

I have just come back from Thailand and I didn't see any child prostitution, or any obvious adult prostitution. I don't know where theodorakisses was.

girlwiththedragon Thu 28-Feb-13 18:48:46

I live in Dubai. Of course there are good and bad people here same as anywhere. There are laws here that seem crazy to us as westerners, laws in the UK that seem crazy to people here. There's a lot less prostitution, stealing, mugging, burglaries in the Middle East than Europe, UK, America, etc because the punishments at being caught here are so much more severe so people generally just don't dare to commit crime here. You can leave your handbag out all night with purse, phone etc and it will be guaranteed to still be there in the morning. You can let your kids play out all day here without fear or worry because nobody would dare to harm them the penalties would be so severe (and they love kids here anyhow). Just saying, you can't really comment on other parts of the world until you know what it is actually like.

Viviennemary Thu 28-Feb-13 18:53:03

I thought the same as you when I saw this shocking news. I'm sure if their tourism industry was threatened they would have to think again.

theodorakisses Thu 28-Feb-13 18:53:19

Yeah, you are so right Ladypessary...there is no prostitution in Thailand, I just made it up for the attention. I stayed in Pattaya from 8th -25th September 2011 at the Birds and bees resort. Obviously you are a much classier person who stays in a much classier Thailand than I did. jeez.

MrsToddsShortcut Thu 28-Feb-13 19:22:58

I think the problem with Dubai, isn't the laws, it's the fact that it was and is built using slave labour

here

MummytoKatie Thu 28-Feb-13 20:04:42

That's really sad. We conceived dd in the Maldives which has always felt such a lovely thing. And now it doesn't. sad

SoleSource Thu 28-Feb-13 20:07:11

Theo I had no.problem with you stating the truth of your exoerience. I just felt so awful for the boy and you because it must have torn you apart.

iamabadger Thu 28-Feb-13 20:19:11

Are you and your friend female theodora? I agree you see prostitution in Thailand I'm just curious as to what they thought you would be able to do with a 7 year old boy?

FillyPutty Thu 28-Feb-13 20:37:26

Yeah Dubai is such a fucking paradise isn't it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=toebp2LJin0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZY83QHKL8

A real holiday idyll.

YANBU. I wouldnt go either. Or to Dubai. Ever. Although I have been to Cambodia and Thailand. Cambodia are at least trying to clamp down on the prostitution and child trafficking from what i saw.

FillyPutty Thu 28-Feb-13 20:46:03

Cambodia had NO government, genocidal lunatics and so on for decades. The Dubai government is aware, and doesn't really care about abuse.

BegoniaBampot Thu 28-Feb-13 20:47:45

But does avoiding Thailand if you are not a sex tourist actually help the local people. Surely they need more non sex tourists.

Theo - curious, why did you go to Pattaya - were you aware that it's generally regarded as the top sex trade destination in Thailand and is infamous for it's sleazy reputation.

LadyPessaryPam Thu 28-Feb-13 21:55:36

theodorakisses Yeah, you are so right Ladypessary...there is no prostitution in Thailand, I just made it up for the attention. I stayed in Pattaya from 8th -25th September 2011 at the Birds and bees resort. Obviously you are a much classier person who stays in a much classier Thailand than I did. jeez.

Well I have just got back from Chiang Mai and Koh Lanta and I saw nothing of this. Sorry but I did not book myself into the middle of the Thai Soho, pardon me. Obviously I am more classy and also I can use TripAdvisor. Try it and you might have better holidays. Jeez!

theodorakisses Fri 01-Mar-13 03:42:42

I chose the resort because it is a Thai hotel that educates and employs local people so they have an alternative to prostitution. They invest profit in local agriculture and, rather than stay in a chain hotel, I wanted to spend time working with the community projects and spent a lot of time with the toy library.

Just because one area is shit and one is posh doesn't mean I will ignore the shit I hate about the shit part and just go to the posh part instead. That's like saying you would not go to the city in the Maldives where this happened but the middle class idyllic bit up the road is fine.

Sometimes this website is so bizarre, I shared a personal experience and have been attacked for possibly making it up and there is a slightly disturbing suggestion about our intentions.
iamabadger Thu 28-Feb-13 20:19:11
Are you and your friend female theodora? I agree you see prostitution in Thailand I'm just curious as to what they thought you would be able to do with a 7 year old boy?

I shared something that was important to me, if I were a troll I may have changed the name I have had for 3 years first.

ripsishere Fri 01-Mar-13 04:35:46

We lived in Thailand for four years and visited Pattaya regularly (DH scubas). I can say hand on heart that we never saw boy child prostitution (are you sure his 'pimp' wasn't pulling your leg)
We always stayed at Cabbages and Condoms. Peculiar name, but the owner ploughed the profits back into providing family planning and safe abortion services.

theodorakisses Fri 01-Mar-13 04:44:48

I am going to leave this thread now, the weirdness is freaking me out.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 01-Mar-13 06:19:17

I am absolutely astounded that anyone could deny the sex trade in Thailand. Are you fucking blind?

I had to sit on the plane all the way home next to a middle- age lone traveller -and it still gives me the heebie-Jeebies a decade on what he might've been there for.

I think many of you are taking for granted just how fucking nice things are here in Western Europe.

For me Dubai is out as I don't profit from slavery.

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 07:10:36

I wasn't accusing you of making it up, I just asked a question as to where in Thailand you went theodorakisses. I then mentioned that I had just come back from Thailand and that I didn't see any child prostitution, or any obvious adult prostitution where we were.

You chose to interpret it as an attack and then launched some kind of attack on me.

The only weirdness on this thread comes from you theodorakisses.

MidnightMasquerader Fri 01-Mar-13 07:11:09

PessaryPam - are you for real??

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 07:15:46

DolomitesDonkey I am absolutely astounded that anyone could deny the sex trade in Thailand. Are you fucking blind?

I have not denied the sex trade in Thailand, I was just saying that having just returned from a couple of places there it was not encouraged and not obvious in those places

I also traveled there over a decade ago to Koh Samui and I saw lots of those unattractive lone western men then. This time there were mostly 'normal' tourists around us. I don't know if it was the destination or the time difference that caused the change. We were told that the Thai government is trying to stop the sex trade.

LadyPessaryPam Fri 01-Mar-13 07:16:18

Yes i am for real. What is your point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now