Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Slightly scented tampons - what fresh hell is this?

(199 Posts)
TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 27-Feb-13 07:19:18

I was in Tesco yesterday buying tampons. I normally get the Tesco own-brand non-applicator ones, because applicators are just more environmentally unfriendly unflushable septic tank destroying crap. Annoyingly, however, Tesco were out of any non-applicator tampons in anything other than super-plus plus. After some deliberation, ruling out Tampax Pearl because of the infuriating adverts, I picked up Tampax Compak Fresh, because I couldn't see any difference between them and the unfresh ones. Not until I opened the box this morning did I clock the 'slightly scented' bit. Readers, I feel sullied.

AIBU to think that slightly scented tampons are the most ridiculous idea ever?

fluffyraggies Wed 27-Feb-13 07:58:09

Who does the market research for these things i'd like to know?

What group of women sat around a table and told the marketing people 'hmm, yes, on the whole i would choose a tampon that made my fanny smell like a flower over a plain one'.

FGS

hmmconfusedangry

Velve Wed 27-Feb-13 08:21:44

Ewwwwww. Yanbu.
I have never been that close to a menstruating woman that I could smell her blood.
I hate everythig scented. Tampons, pads, panty liners, wipes, baby wipes.
There is NO need for that stuff. Anywhere. Ever.

BaresarkBunny Wed 27-Feb-13 08:24:41

This is why I'm becoming more and more allergic to tampons amd sanitary towels. Menstruating is bad enough without inflicting this hell.

OnlyWantsOne Wed 27-Feb-13 08:25:09

Sounds burny.

sashh Wed 27-Feb-13 08:38:25

Wasn't it scented tampons that caused the TSS in the 1970s/1980s

badbride Wed 27-Feb-13 08:48:15

I also bought a packet of these monstrosities by accident. They have since found a use as air-fresheners for my car. Although people will give you a funny look when they see a cotton mouse dangling from your rear-view mirror. Makes a change from furry dice though, eh? smile

mrsjay Wed 27-Feb-13 08:57:40

ive never used tampons a girl a few years above me at school got TSS but why would you want to put any sort of scent up there is beyond me hmm some Towels are scented and a packet i picked up had a lotion in it Just why

mrsjay Wed 27-Feb-13 08:58:51

Wasn't it scented tampons that caused the TSS in the 1970s/1980s

no they were not scented

HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 27-Feb-13 08:59:17

I'm pregnant at the moment with a sensitive fanjo at the best of times. I am reliant on pant liners and found it difficult to find liners without scent!

OP, if you are environmentally conscious, do get a mooncup! It'll save you a fortune, it's so much better for the environment and you get used to the cleaning it very quickly smile

I reckon it was a bloke that thought this one up. I wouldn't even use the scented pads, let alone a scented tampon.

mrsjay Wed 27-Feb-13 09:01:16

I think they changed the way tampons were made they think it was something to do with the cotton wool and leaving them in to long the bacteria was able to multiply or something, but they had no scent in them

KB02 Wed 27-Feb-13 09:01:59

Yy to trying mooncup next month. You can send it back if you can't get on with it .

PuffPants Wed 27-Feb-13 09:13:15

Am imagining someone commenting on my lovely perfume and me replying "oh, it's my scented tampon actually".

LittleEdie Wed 27-Feb-13 09:13:26

That sounds disgusting. YANBU

MrsGeologist Wed 27-Feb-13 09:22:39

Oh my fucking god, scented tampons?

Whyyyyyy?

I'm actually a little grossed out by the thought of them.

OxfordBags Wed 27-Feb-13 09:46:16

Why would you want to put scent up your flange?! It's just so dodgy! Any woman who is such a mimsy that she needs scented fucking sanpro to get over the trauma of having a nasty hurty-blood foofoo now and then should be forcibly put on the pill non-stop until she's emotionally capable of maturing to adulthood.

I don't wear tampons, don't get on with them but oh my gosh, scented tampons!!! Can't imagine they'll be good for the fanjo, bet they must stingconfused

msrisotto Wed 27-Feb-13 09:57:38

I never like tampons so use a mooncup instead but eww - you can send it back if you don't get on with it? confused

Flobbadobs Wed 27-Feb-13 10:01:40

Dear God the scented pads were bad enough and they absolutely stunk (stank?)when they had been used!!
I've been using washable pads thanks to a thread on here and will never go back to disposable stuff now.

choceyes Wed 27-Feb-13 10:03:13

I never like tampons so use a mooncup instead but eww - you can send it back if you don't get on with it?

I assume they get rid of it rather than resell it?

It took me 3 months to get used to the mooncup and I love it now, so keep trying even if it doesn't first time!

INeverSaidThat Wed 27-Feb-13 10:06:07

Mooncup is the answer to everything

Animation Wed 27-Feb-13 10:06:46

Some misogynist man probably came up with the idea.

YouTheCat Wed 27-Feb-13 10:08:12

The bloke who came up with these scented monstrosities is probably the same one who keeps telling us all to 'Have a happy period'.

I think he should be put in a room with premenstrual women and shown the error of his ways.

ICBINEG Wed 27-Feb-13 10:09:31

oxfordbags you are my new MN hero!

couldn't agree more.
oh and obvs YANBU

catgirl1976 Wed 27-Feb-13 10:09:52

Eh?

Why would I want to scent the inside of my fanjo?

Especially during my period? Who is going to sniff it?

Grimness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now