To think that whoever posted the microwave cheese sauce method deserves some sort of medal?

(34 Posts)
AngryFeet Tue 26-Feb-13 17:10:26

Thank you! You have made my life a million times easier as my kids love cheese sauce on pasta and I ended up buying it as mine was lumpy all the time with the usual roux method. It is so simple yet so brilliant. I use this one now www.food.com/recipe/microwave-cheese-sauce-90073 but I'm sure someone has one that doesnt use US measurements.

Pure genius.

PessaryPam Tue 26-Feb-13 17:17:20

Needs a bayleaf.

yaimee Tue 26-Feb-13 17:17:23

I've just this second put a fish pie in the oven which was a pita to make, so will definitely be trying this next time!

yaimee Tue 26-Feb-13 17:18:08

I'd say add some nutmeg though!

Blessyou Tue 26-Feb-13 17:18:37

Agreed. We've been doing it that way a couple of weeks too. Genius.

TitHead Tue 26-Feb-13 18:11:23

It is great so much easier and less faffier.

absolutely agree.
I cant believe that I am nearly 50 and cook virtually everything from scratch and DID NOT KNOW THIS!
flowers

Bogeyface Tue 26-Feb-13 18:25:04

I've been doing it this way for years, waaaay pre-internet! Mainly because I didnt have the patience to do it the proper way so just chucked it in the microwave and beat the hell out of it every 2 minutes!

Bogeyface Tue 26-Feb-13 18:26:27

I do mine differently to the recipe. I make a paste with flour and milk, add the rest of the milk and heat it for as long as it takes to thicken, beating every 2 minutes then stir in the cheese when it is cooked. Job done!

Itsjustapuppet Tue 26-Feb-13 18:27:50

I would like to come out of long term lurking to celebrate the wonder of microwave cheese sauce.

Bye bye lumps!

Dawndonna Tue 26-Feb-13 18:29:45

I've just made a salmon and broccoli bake using this recipe. I love it! It's so easy!

BegoniaBampot Tue 26-Feb-13 18:42:05

why is it easier? looks like takes the same time and you still have to keep stirring, what am i missing?

I Tried it, nobody in our house liked it. We all thought it tasted really floury and it was as much of a faff as making it the normal way in a pan.

thesnootyfox Tue 26-Feb-13 19:12:45

Why has this only just discovered?

My heart sinks when ds1 asks for macaroni cheese. The kitchen looks like a bomb site I end up hot and bothered and nobody eats it anyway

Will try this tomorrow!

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Feb-13 19:17:34

I dont understand how it is easier?

a roux is so easy and quick

puttng the microwave on repeatedly and getting it in and out to stir just seems crappy and time consuming

FabulousFreaks Tue 26-Feb-13 19:25:15

I missed that, link please please

I've been doing white sauce in the microwave since I was 15 (am nearly 3 decades beyond that now). It's less faff because a glass jug is far easier to clean than a sticky pan and it's virtually idiot-proof.

If it tasted floury, it's likely it wasn't cooked properly.

thegreylady Tue 26-Feb-13 19:29:14

How can something have 110% of RDA of saturated fat and still be ok?
I use cornflour to make a 'custard' by mixing a table spoon of cornflour with a little milk and bleding till smooth.Then I pour on half a pint of hot milk stirring all the time.Keep stirring till it begins to thicken then add grated cheese and seasoning to taste.

Saski Tue 26-Feb-13 19:29:25

I do think a stovetop cheese sauce is pretty easy. But I will try this.

blibblibs Tue 26-Feb-13 19:29:38

'Tis fab, but remember to use a large jug or you have to clean the microwave too smile

Fillyjonk75 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:32:33

It looks more faffy than making a bechamel in a pan -stopping the microwave every 30 seconds? I'd just advise everyone to learn to make a white sauce using the roux method, it's very, very easy when you know how and you can make so many sauces from it.

Beveridge Tue 26-Feb-13 19:33:54

Totes amazeballs. This has revolutionised my life!

Fillyjonk75 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:35:02

Reminds me of my dad's method for making scrambled eggs in the microwave - I can make them in a small frying pan in half the time. grin

Happygirl77 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:35:12

RemusLupins, were microwaves used nearly 3 decades ago?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now