To lie about my LMP?

(17 Posts)
MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 26-Feb-13 14:09:44

Just POAS and BFP for DC2. Hooray! (and nervous).

I live in a country where they are very intervention happy, to the extent that several friend have had major battles to even go a week over their due date, they treat due date as written in stone and want to induce on it, despite this being entirely unsupported by any medical evidence.

We got around this with DC1 by me going home to have him, the trouble is that this time I have him to consider. He loves his grandparents and is used to us visiting, but here we have more friends, toddler groups, possibly even nursery (thinking of starting him 3 mornings a week next Sept) and I think it might better and less disruptive for him to stay here this time.

So, one solution which occurred to me is that I just add 4 or 5 days to my last LMP when I register at the hospital. I get a due date 4 or 5 days later than my "real" one and so buy a bit of time. But would this have other consequences? Is an exact date needed for nucal fold testing or anything else? Would you add more? (worried that then scan dates wont match and they will just go by scan dates).

PickleSarnie Tue 26-Feb-13 14:12:26

Your lmp is only used until your scan. After that, your date according to scan is used. In my case, my lmp date was more accurate because I know the scan dated me too early.

Smartiepants79 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:14:50

Don't know where you live but in uk they are only interested in scan dates. No one took any notice of 'my' dates once I had a scan.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 26-Feb-13 14:15:16

But last time they just took my dates. Maybe it was because the scan matched that time. Ah well. flowers

PickleSarnie Tue 26-Feb-13 14:15:19

Sent too soon. Meant to add congrats on the bfp!

scarletforya Tue 26-Feb-13 14:17:12

Exact date is needed for the nuchal fold test. Also they don't always base their calculations only on your LMP, they'll have their own dates from scanning the baby.

scarletforya Tue 26-Feb-13 14:17:40

oh congratulations btw! grin

bonzo77 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:18:34

They'll go by your dating scan. Any chance of finding professionals who are prepared to treat you more like you would be at home WRT EDD and induction etc?

ChairmanWow Tue 26-Feb-13 14:19:40

Ah, nice try though! I don't blame you. I had my EDD changed both times at the scan so you prob won't get away with it. Don't let them bully you though!

JedwardScissorhands Tue 26-Feb-13 14:21:16

I did this, in the UK, for different reasons. Had scan in one hospital then changed. Second hospital accepted the 'agreed due date' that I had amended in my maternity notes. So it is possible.

ChairmanWow Tue 26-Feb-13 14:21:57

PS Congratulations.

PPS Love the name. Look at my tongue - it's wearing a yellow sock! grin

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Tue 26-Feb-13 14:26:38

Ha ha ChairmanWow. I feel unusual. (flipping do, too!)

I'm not usually easily bullied, the trouble is that patients have less rights here. In the UK I know that if they say "we will induce you" I can say "errr...no you wont" but here that is not a given. Interesting that it worked for you Jedward, but does it definitely mess up the nucal scan results?

pinkje Tue 26-Feb-13 14:30:05

Could you just say 'I don't remember....'

JedwardScissorhands Tue 26-Feb-13 14:32:31

No, as the nuchal results were done at the first hospital based on what they calculated my EDD to be, based on the scan. Only lied after the nuchal bit.

JedwardScissorhands Tue 26-Feb-13 14:35:45

So basically the second hospital thought the EDD was based on the scan. I altered the agreed EDD by scan, not just LMP

NatashaBee Tue 26-Feb-13 14:36:48

I would say you don't remember - and just make sure you book your nuchal test within the right time period if you plan to have one.

EuroShaggleton Tue 26-Feb-13 14:42:33

Congratulations!

Surely they won't hold you down and physically force an intervention on you where you are? If they would, I think I would move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now