To have found this comment annoying/offensive?

(19 Posts)

Well Nancy66 - it is an outrage.
I am obviously complaining to Flora regarding this!
Best post in ages!!!

Oh dear lapetite I really hope things get better. If not then you'll have to have a little 'chat' with her!

maddening Tue 26-Feb-13 14:33:03

Sounds like w dig at the man - as in he's a lazy sod

minouminou Tue 26-Feb-13 14:13:50

What nationality are you both?

This attitude might not be directed solely at you, and it might not be an attitude at all but a cultural difference.

I've known a lot of Balkan women and they can start off with the abrasive joking manner that more reserved Brits develop over time in friendships. Took me aback at first, but now I find it means they like you and want to be your chum.

LaPetiteSirene Tue 26-Feb-13 14:09:41

Ha ... it's probably other things she has said to me too and her attitude. But that would be drip-feeding.

I am lightened up and can take a joke ...

She just winds me up.

HildaOgden Tue 26-Feb-13 14:05:39

It was a dig at him,not you.Were you really raging inside about it??

Willow36 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:04:31

YABU

imnotmymum Tue 26-Feb-13 14:03:42

Yes I say this all the time to my kids, DH etc. just a joke! Lighten up OP!!

Nancy66 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:03:18

....yes, but what do you think of the new Flora margarine ad?

Greythorne Tue 26-Feb-13 14:02:56

Deffo a dig at the bloke, not you.

Yeah, she was having a dig at him, not you!

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 26-Feb-13 14:02:04

'earning your keep' is a popular phrase for being helpful/doing something. I would take her comment as a compliment. As others have said, it was a dig at the guy, not you.

EuroShaggleton Tue 26-Feb-13 14:00:25

It was a dig at him for being a lazy sod, wasn't it?

She was just saying you were useful and he wasn't. A compliment if anything

AnaisB Tue 26-Feb-13 13:58:55

Yabu to find it offensive. It sounds like it was a (relaxed) dig at him.

Yes YABU

minouminou Tue 26-Feb-13 13:56:40

I think she was having a go at him, because he was stood on the sidelines while you made an effort.

ceebie Tue 26-Feb-13 13:56:39

I think you're getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. I would have thought just just meant "At least she's being helpful"

Bejeena Tue 26-Feb-13 13:56:32

It sounds like she was just having a joke and maybe possibly a bit lost in translation.

Sounds like to me she was just having a go at the guy for thinking he could comment when he was actually doing nothing.

LaPetiteSirene Tue 26-Feb-13 13:54:44

I'm currently living abroad as part of a work course etc.

I am living with 7 other people in one house (haven't met each other before), and we all work for the same company.

They have been living in the house just over a month longer than I have.

Last night one of the women came home late from work and needed to bake cookies for the next day, I had today off so offered to help her which she accepted.

We were in the middle of baking when one of the guys said in a jokey way that I was doing something wrong.

When the woman said back "at least shes earning her keep in this house"

I'm not sure if I was being unreasonable but this comment made me rage (inside) - I would accept this comment if I didn't pay rent and it was her house.

But in reality we all pay the exact same rent each week and the house belongs to the company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now