Do I keep dt's off school?

(21 Posts)

Eldest 3year old dt fine in himself, but coughing really badly until he throws up. Still awake in our bed watching Winnie the Pooh. Not been sick for hours, but coughing too much to sleep. Should I keep him off school tomorrow as he will be shattered? Other twin would have to stay home too as no one to look after other when I take him in.

YouTheCat Mon 25-Feb-13 22:54:07

I'd keep them off. They are 3 so not going to miss anything vital.

Fanjango Mon 25-Feb-13 22:55:24

Keep him off,he will be fit for nothing if he's that tired anyway. Can he not just hang around at the back while you take other twin in? I have to do that often as I can't keep one off just because the other is ill (they'd never make it in grin)

WorraLiberty Mon 25-Feb-13 22:56:26

Yes I'd keep them off tbh

If they were older and of school age, I'd say get the twin who is well to school even if it means taking the tired coughing one out briefly.

But at 3yrs, it won't make any difference.

ChewinTheFat Mon 25-Feb-13 22:56:29

I kept my 12 year old off when he coughed constantly all night. He was shattered. He did wake up in the morning ready to go to school but as I had heard him cough all night I decided tort him stay home, he slept most if the day.

Just noticed you said 3 year old at school? At 3 years old they are in nursery here, not compulsory. I'd keep him off.

Thanks all. Considering I'm now on bed with him and he is still coughing and showing no sign if sleep think I will be shattered too! Winnie the Pooh for me too!

Our school always say 48 hours after diarrhoea and/or vomiting anyway - even if we know it's caused by coughing or something they ate or whatever. Err on the side of caution and have a nice cosy day at home together.

RedHelenB Tue 26-Feb-13 07:18:50

I would take the one who isn't ill in - why on earth should they miss out cos they happen to be twins!!!???

HDEE Tue 26-Feb-13 07:21:39

The coughing twin should stay home, the other should go in.

My personal bugbear on MN is people referring to their children as DTs. They are your DC, they aren't the same person, they don't always have to do everything as a pair. Every time I see the abbreviation DTs I cringe inwardly.

Smartiepants79 Tue 26-Feb-13 07:22:24

Would be a much more restful day as well if you can get twin 2 to school!

Kytti Tue 26-Feb-13 07:27:55

If they've been sick, they should stay off, but I'd take the other one in. It won't kill to stay at home, but I feel it sets a bad example. (That sounds much harsher then it's meant to - sorry!)

I have dt's too, and 2 older dc's. If one is ill, they ALL still have to trudge to school and back, just a fact of life. Sorry.

Hope they're better soon! x

Flojobunny Tue 26-Feb-13 07:27:58

It seems one extreme to the other. Should I take ill child to school for the day or not bother dressing him and do nothing.
If he's well enough to even consider school then he's well enough to get dressed and go for a few minutes while u drop the other off.
If u can't be bothered then why not just say so.

Kytti Tue 26-Feb-13 07:29:35

Sorry I made you cringe HDEE - do you have twins too? Mine are very different, but it does make it easier on MN to explain how the children are. So there. Cringe away!

PessaryPam Tue 26-Feb-13 07:46:19

Kytti there is a different dynamic with twins so DTs is a helpful label. I have non-identical grown up twins and they were like chalk and cheese, but intensely loyal to each other.

HDEE Tue 26-Feb-13 07:48:05

Yep I have twin boys. I can understand saying DTs when it is relevant, but 99% of the time it has no bearing or relevance to the thread at all. I don't even know why it annoys me so much.

PessaryPam Tue 26-Feb-13 07:53:52

Probably you are sensitized by people who ask stupid things like 'which is the good one and which is the bad one'. There are a whole raft of annoying assumptions made about twins.

Sirzy Tue 26-Feb-13 07:56:58

Send the well child in keep the poorly one at home.

Kytti Tue 26-Feb-13 08:10:35

Hey hey hey! I have no problem with the dt label - it was HDEE that started it! lol

I love my twins. They love being twins. They are fraternal, so tbh people just get confused now. (You know how it is, they're only 3, you can see people trying to work out why they look the same age.)

They're COMPLETELY different, but they will call themselves twins too. It's special. Why not let them feel special? Older dc's don't mind.

(Still think op should take dt2 to school mind...)

Kytti Tue 26-Feb-13 08:12:05

Hey HDEE - bet you've got your hands full!

(Sorry - couldn't resist!) smile

PessaryPam Tue 26-Feb-13 08:15:07

Yes I remember that one too.

didn't want to take other twin to school as wanted to let ill one sleep in if he had had a bad night, and dh works away, so its just me. And they are 3 so not going to miss algerbra or anything. Obviously when they are older it will be different.

As for the "DT's" issue.....use the term because its commonly used on here. My boys are individuals! Very much so. I have 2 children. Didn't realise it would cause such a stir! But seriously.......come on..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now