To ask if you've ever heard something interesting whilst eavesdropping

(99 Posts)
HilaryClinton Mon 25-Feb-13 09:35:37

Not amazing but on the tram I heard two colleagues talking about (a manager) that was trying to get cosy with the younger one. The older one started saying about his lovely wife and their kids. The young one kept going "are you sure we're talking about the same person?"... But they were. It was riveting.

My husband was interviewed for a big promotion at work. That afternoon the senior managers had a meeting to discuss the interviews and candidates in the meeting room adjacent his office.... He found he needed something from the other side of the site. But he did get the job.

WhataMistakeaToMakea Mon 25-Feb-13 20:53:51

Was in bed (sleeping) with my DP of the time one night and heard his flat mate and a friend come back, the friend with a girl. They were laughing etc then flat mate went to bed.

I then heard a big scream and the girl saying 'what do you think I am, I wasn't brought up like that'. My DP went to check it out and said, she's just embarassed cause flatmate accidently walked in on her and the friend getting it on.

Anyway, went to sleep. I was woken up again half and hour later by moaning....this time from flatmates bedroom and it was the girl. From what I overheard, flatmate was underneath and friend was on top, she was very much enjoying herself in the middle.....hmmm so thats how mother brought her up?!

Crikeyblimey Mon 25-Feb-13 21:00:26

I once took part in a creative writing event thing (that for shame, I can't remember the name of). It was about overheard conversations. We spent a month "gathering" snippets of conversation and then wrote short stories based on what we'd overheard. It was great (my work was a bit rubbish but I really enjoyed it). Fantastic excuse to sit in coffee shops eavsdropping smile

richardsimmonstanktop Mon 25-Feb-13 21:09:13

"I'd have been tempted to text Charlie Summers and tell him to shut the fuck up! and then switch my phone off!"

I bet someone probably did! DP still remembers the phone number, which gives you some indication of how many times he said it.

FuntimeFuschia Mon 25-Feb-13 21:20:06

I was on a train a few years ago, and a bloke got on at Manchester Piccadilly. Absolutely steaming drunk and VERY LOUD talking on a mobile. He sat behind me and I soon picked up (as did everyone else on the train) that he'd been released from Strangeways earlier in the day and was now on his way home after several hours in the pub. He was discussing his stint in the greybar hotel with person on the phone, and at one point, extremely full of righteous indignation, that "they said I stabbed him, but I didn't, I just hit him with a brick!" The whole carriage gradually became quieter and quieter...

Another one, was sitting enjoying a nice drink in a beer garden on a warm summers eve with now DH, and a large group of loud, but generally amusing student lads arrived and proceeded to get hammered. We managed to phase out the noise until we heard this beauty: "Yeah, I'd like to fuck Fearne Cotton, and at the moment of climax stab her in the neck." At this point I turned round and gave them this look shock and to be fair he had the grace to blush and apologise.

muminthecity Mon 25-Feb-13 21:45:09

Walking around a busy London Sainsbury's once, I overheard a man discussing auto-erotic asphyxiation on the phone, with casual aplomb. I learned that his material of choice was a rope around the neck, as he liked the burn, and that the most exciting part was seeing how long you could go before passing out and having to be untied quickly. I was shock

Divinyl Mon 25-Feb-13 22:29:17

Another one from the Liverpool Street to Essex to Norfolk line...sadly I can't remember everything now, but it was a preposterous conversation between a 20s-ish city boy, apparently sober, and an older guy who had obviously bumped into him on an evening train. I recall that it started off with a fairly involved description of Younger Chap's activities and rise through the London Freemason ranks (not hugely likely but you never know). Then a small tangent insinuating that 'I get myself in some awkward situations sometimes with (pert young late teenage) girls', but the one I had to stop myself laughing out loud about was how he had been working hard on the bodybuilding and some oriental art of defence because he had been chosen to be a bodyguard to the Dalai Lama when he (the DL) was coming on a visit to the UK later that year. 'Yes,' said Younger Chap, entirely seriously, 'I'm living the dream.'

Schooldidi Mon 25-Feb-13 22:45:08

I overheard a break up in Morrisons a couple of weeks ago. The first time I passed the couple they were having a bit of a disagreement about what sort of cereal they wanted, then a couple of aisles later I passed them again just as she said 'but you've just told me you don't love me', then another couple of aisles and he was saying 'I didn't mean it like that but yes I think we do need to split up'. By the time they got to the checkout they had separate baskets sad What a conversation to have in the supermarket.

idococktailshedoesbeer Mon 25-Feb-13 23:06:32

A few years ago, I was sitting outside the pub when I spotted a familiar face at the next table, with a couple of male friends. She poured her heart out about her relationship with a married man and what a total shit he had proved to be. She had just won a BBC reality show I was a big fan of so I was riveted listening to her.

Ooo and I was with DP in NY two summers ago at the Standard Hotel, sitting outside again, when an actor rocked up and approached a young couple at the next table. He ended up leaving with the girl, who was blonde, v young and v skinny, leaving the bloke with a massive wad of cash.

I love listening to conversations, I'm far too nosey.

I've worked in a pub and a shop at the same time in a small village. I know everything.

deste Mon 25-Feb-13 23:21:32

At the gym was standing next to a girl on the phone. " so I'm going to have to ask you for money although I don't really like to but ex is driving up and down the street scaring the kids. I won't to into work tonight I'll just come up and give you a dance and if your friends want they can take photographs". The mind boggles.

deste Mon 25-Feb-13 23:23:21

BBC reality show, give us a clue, was it an Andrew Lloyd Webber one.

Overheard this very day in Aldi's, school chucking out time so kids descend for sugar boosting snacks.

3 of the tiniest Y7 boys I've seen, all loudly talking about bum sex hmm

When the slightly taller one said

" Ahh but early morning sex is the best, I love it when I've just woken up" I couldn't stifle my laughter any longer.

I gave them my best withering look and said equally loudly,

" oooh a right stud aren't you?"

<exit 3 young lads very rapidly>

Iheartpasties Mon 25-Feb-13 23:24:46

Back in 2010 I was sat near two girls, one girls brother was training intensively for a rowing event at the olympics! I wonder how he did?! It was quite amazing how dedicated he was, she was going on about it in quite some detail.

HandlebarTash Mon 25-Feb-13 23:27:07

I overheard a conversation between two of DH's female friends, where it became obvious that one of them fancies him. And hates me, naturally.

BegoniaBampot Mon 25-Feb-13 23:38:43

Was watching husband playing football for his works team at their sports grounds one weekend. Bunch of girls from work going on about xxx legs and phoaring etc. coughed behind them and said, 'do you mind, that's my husband!'
He does have nice legs!

MrsNPattz Tue 26-Feb-13 01:26:37

And he's wide awake blush

MrsNPattz Tue 26-Feb-13 01:27:10

Oops wrong post blush

ScumbagCollegeDropout Tue 26-Feb-13 01:29:04

Arf @ 'I have pissed myself 3 times!' grin

anonymosity Tue 26-Feb-13 01:39:43

Yes, several times. Though I would like to say that over-hearing your next door neighbour shout something in a row is not quite the same as listening to his conversation with a glass jammed against the wall. I think eaves-dropping would have to be done with the glass and "over-hearing" the other. Sometimes you can't but help hear things - even when you'd rather not!

GothAnneGeddes Tue 26-Feb-13 02:08:45

Mine is sad and looking back, I wish I'd said something:

Three girls on the train, many years ago discussing their friend's boyfriend and that he was so jealous, he set fire to all her going out clothes. sad

ripsishere Tue 26-Feb-13 05:14:40

That is sad Goth.
Mine was ludicrous rather than sad. DH is a teacher, at one point he taught some girls. At a school event, he was wearing a pair of linen shorts and a navy blue polo shirt. It did really suit him. Anyway, I was talking to one of his female colleagues alongside some students. Two of the students clearly had a crush on him, had he heard what they were saying he'd have blushed and then, a couple of hours later preened.
Me and S listened for a good five minutes to what girl one would do to him, girl 2 was more interested in going out for dinner and talking.
S coughed and said, 'girls do you know Mrs X? she's married to Mr X'

Contradictionincarnate Tue 26-Feb-13 05:30:24

I'm the best / worst eavesdropper ever I love it!!

erowid Tue 26-Feb-13 06:05:20

Sat in my tent at Glastonbury (best place for eavedropping imo) some random walks past...

"Right, lets go dancing... big box, little box, cardboard....... oh no wait, that's not right is it?"

zipzap Tue 26-Feb-13 10:49:14

I used to work at an IT consultancy that had grown reasonably big (1000+) and one of its most basic rules that they would throw you out for was don't discuss anything about work anywhere that you could be overheard.

This was because when the company was brand new (4 friends set up together) they had put in for a govt contract. Couple of days later, they were on the train and could hear people behind them talking - turns out it was the people who were responsible for giving out the contract they had applied for. They tuned in and listened hard, heard them discuss every bid that had been put in - tactics, prices, staffing, the works. They discovered that although the people had liked their contract, it was quite a big contract and they were at that point an unknown quantity so they didn't want to give them a big contract straight off, thought they would see if they could get them to do a couple of smaller ones to start with to see how they delivered.

Needless to say, they learnt loads that they wouldn't normally do about how their competitors worked, priced contracts, etc etc. Plus they immediately started to look for smaller contracts with the govt dept and were able to write fantastic bids with all the info they had picked up. They got some of these contracts, then delivered well so got bigger ones and ended up as a good sized consultancy. (even if they did get taken over merge with another similar consultancy after I left.

But they were so so hot on not talking about stuff out of the office because they knew that you never knew who was listening and how they would benefit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now