To ask if you've ever heard something interesting whilst eavesdropping

(99 Posts)
HilaryClinton Mon 25-Feb-13 09:35:37

Not amazing but on the tram I heard two colleagues talking about (a manager) that was trying to get cosy with the younger one. The older one started saying about his lovely wife and their kids. The young one kept going "are you sure we're talking about the same person?"... But they were. It was riveting.

My husband was interviewed for a big promotion at work. That afternoon the senior managers had a meeting to discuss the interviews and candidates in the meeting room adjacent his office.... He found he needed something from the other side of the site. But he did get the job.

Pilgit Mon 25-Feb-13 13:23:09

On a packed commuter train some guy was having a very loud conversation about redundancies that he was having to make. He wasn't being in the least discrete and it was a fairly big company that lots of people on the train would know about. Couldn't help thinking it could affect the share price knowing the company is in that situation.....

also heard far too much to remember from our rather loud HR department! We've got used to just not remembering what we've heard as it would be deeply inappropriate for colleagues in the rest of the company (really, too well behaved - but we are the legal dept!)

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Mon 25-Feb-13 13:23:10

Years ago, DH was staying with his then girlfriend. He went to bed, and heard her talking to her mate about the other bloke she'd been seeing behind his back. He got up and left and never went back.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Feb-13 13:29:46

pluCaChange I wouldn't get a job in MI5 because I'm known for it.

Someone told me he'd been offered a better job but begged me not to tell anyone. I didn't. It turned out he was hadn't been offered another job but was just using me to spread the rumour to get a pay rise. It didn't work because I didn't tell anyone.

He knew I was a bigmouth but what he didn't know that I'll keep a promise even if it kills me. He shouldn't have made me promise or should have just told me the truth.

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 25-Feb-13 13:33:06

About 5 years ago there was a woman on the same train as me who spent the entire 2 hour journey on the phone to a friend discussing;
The man who she was having an affair with, being a bastard for spending Christmas with his wife & kids instead of her.
That last time they had sex she'd injured him (bruised ribs?) and he was unable to work for a week.

By the time she'd got off the train I'd worked out he was a relatively well-know (opera) singer.

Jojobump1986 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:58:48

I once listened to someone's entire therapy session on a train, from the counsellor's point of view. Lots of "Hmm... We've been here before, haven't we? Do you think you can use the same strategies again? They were so successful last time..." I never did quite figure out what the issue was or why, if the strategies were genuinely so successful, they hadn't already got it sorted! Eventually the conversation ended with "Ok, well I'll be going through a tunnel in a moment we weren't for at least another 15-20mins so why don't you give that a try and I'll see you at the appointment tomorrow."

By far the juiciest bit of gossip I've accidentally overheard was when I was at a Christian youth group & was sitting next to 2 friends of mine who'd split up a few months before. They seemed completely oblivious to the fact that I was there & they weren't exactly talking quietly while they discussed the fact that they both 'did want to do it again but didn't want to be the first to say it' & 'if only they'd talked about it at the time they might never have split up' & 'it was her first time so she didn't really know how to talk about it' & 'at least they were safe'... As a v innocent, sheltered teenager I was very shocked & didn't know how to react to what I was hearing so just sat there trying to be invisible & hoped they didn't go into any more detail! I've often wondered if it was a genuine conversation or whether it was some weird trick to test if I'd keep my mouth shut! I did. I suspect it was true though, which makes the fact that he started dating her sister soon after even more odd! confused

PseudoBadger Mon 25-Feb-13 14:06:21

Dp and I were sitting in front of two men in the theatre. During the performance (Cabaret) they discussed a sexual encounter that one had had recently in very graphic detail eg "so I had him pushed up against the wall, and then he bent me over the coffee table". blush

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Feb-13 14:19:41

Years ago I was sitting on the next table to two men. From the conversation the older one was gay and hitting on the younger one who was getting drunker and drunker, oblivious to the pass.

It was clear they worked together and the younger one seemed to have no idea his colleague was gay. The younger one's wife had just had a baby and he was grumbling that they hadn't had sex in ages.

The older man announced 'women are disgusting anyway. They can never get themselves clean.'

I was shock and then he stared at me and added: 'and they eavesdrop.' I don't know whether he was winding me up. I don't think so.

BegoniaBampot Mon 25-Feb-13 14:24:11

A man in our town was up on charge for murdering his wife (they had never found her body). He used to meet with his solicitor in the park cafe when I was sometimes at the next table. Didn't hear that much but couldn't help trying to have a good old listen. Also, recently my local MP was having lunch with a friend or colleague in our local pub and they were having a good old gossip about other MPs.

KellyElly Mon 25-Feb-13 14:27:23

I heard a woman on the bus talking to someone she must have met online dating. He was trying to persuade her to give him her address!! The poor woman was trying to say no politely and say that he already had her number and email and she wanted to hold something back as they still hadn't met. I was thinking noooo don't do it, don't give your address to a stranger from match.com!

milf90 Mon 25-Feb-13 14:32:20

My parents have a time share in a 5 star spa resort hotel (much too nice for us ;) ) I wentto use the wifi in reception and there was a man in there on the phone moaning about how he was losing £200,000 worth of interest because somebody hadn't moved his money to the right account grin how much money must he have had to get that much interest???? He then went on to talk about thousands of pounds as if it was nothing

VitoCorleone Mon 25-Feb-13 14:35:11

I was sat on my back door step having a fag one evening last summer when i hear the girl who lives behind me having an argument with her nana.

Nana: oh just piss off will you

Girl: no i fucking wont, im sick to death of people round here slagging me off, saying things that arent true

Nana: well its your own bloody fault for always giving them summat to talk about.

Girl: yea well i shagged john twice last night

Nana: i dont want to hear about your sex life.

orangepudding Mon 25-Feb-13 14:40:56

I walked past my neighbours house last summer and heard a mum and her teenage mum daughter arguing. My guess was teen was having another baby - baby is due in the next couple of weeks!

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Feb-13 14:42:53

Last year I had an important meeting that my mum wanted to be in on. She's like that. I said no but promised to call her to say how it went just to stop her going on.

Being my mother, she wouldn't take: 'Yes, it was okay mum. Talk to you later,' and started with the: 'You should have said this' and 'did you tell them that?'. I ended up defensively blurting out details on the bus home before it dawned on me that people who knew me or what I was talking about could well have been on the bus too.

It's all the fault of my own big mouth but God, my bloody interfering mother who should get a part time job interrogating particularly loose-lipped spies.

eavesdropping Mon 25-Feb-13 14:52:14

Oh yes. NCing for this one as want to be vague...

When I was growing up we lived next door to a well-known TV presenter. My brother and I discovered that we could pick up their cordless phone calls on medium wave on the radio. This was VERY interesting. Especially when they started having an affair with another very well known TV presenter. We heard their (rather creepy) pet names for each other & everytime I see them on TV I always think of the revolting nicknames.

CremeEggScoffer Mon 25-Feb-13 15:18:30

eaves you can't leave it like that, I'm dying to kinow who they were grin

fryingpantoface Mon 25-Feb-13 16:32:03

Do tell Eaves!

Arithmeticulous Mon 25-Feb-13 16:55:11

Eaves shock Give us a clue! Cheggers?

peeriebear Mon 25-Feb-13 17:17:20

Went out for lunch with DH when I was about 7-8 weeks pregnant. The girl at the table behind us was talking very loudly and casually about her impending abortion angry how she was only 11 weeks so it would only be small, and how she could get pissed because it wouldn't matter, and so on. I felt like ramming my fork into her temple.

Greythorne Mon 25-Feb-13 17:30:53

Peerie

May I ask your reasons for being anti-abortion?

deleted203 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:37:22

Once went out for dinner and the couple at the table behind us were having an intimate meal for two when the chap produced a ring and got down on one knee. I was hissing at DH 'Oh..he's proposing!' all excitedly. His girlfriend looked at him in shock, cried quietly - and then said 'No'...

Poor bloke was left looking stunned and miserable and his gf fled the restaurant in tears leaving him sitting there and eventually calling sadly for the bill.

Ruined my night! (And his, presumably).

peeriebear Mon 25-Feb-13 17:39:25

I'm not anti-abortion Greythorne, I'm anti-twat.

HilaryClinton Mon 25-Feb-13 18:03:49

Eaves- Paul and Debbie?

D0G Mon 25-Feb-13 18:06:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BegoniaBampot Mon 25-Feb-13 18:11:07

Sowornout - oh dear! Can't help wonder what kind of person thinks it's a good idea to propose in public though.

Greythorne Mon 25-Feb-13 18:44:05

Peerie

Why do you consider a woman discussing an abortion a twat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now