To be bothered by DH's new "food militancy"??? He's turned vegan and gone a bit nuts really.

(274 Posts)
MrsMushroom Sun 24-Feb-13 23:38:46

He's always been into healthy eating and working out...it's part of his personality. Fine.

But...a friend of his (big into uncovering government plots and all that...lizard people you know)

Well this friend sent DH a copy of something called The China Study which is a big expose on our food chain etc.

All this happened BEFORE the horse meat thing.

DH is now vegan. He's constantly asking me to read the report...telling me things like "When meat protein mixes with milk protein that is what causes some cancers"

And the latest is that cheap peanut butter has mold in it...which causes cancer.

So we can only buy organic.

He won't eat any processed foods...we hardly have any anway! As a family we didn't eat a lot of meat...one roast chicken a week which we got 3 meals out of...and maybe a bit of bacon.

That was it...no red meat really as we're on a small budget.

I'm frigging SICK of hearing it all!

he's now on Skype with his paranoid mate and they're discussing the evils of that fake meat...what's it called...you know soy stuff.

I cooked a chicken yestersay which I ate with the DDs...he came in from work and asked me to cover the chicken up...I suspect because he was tempted.

AIBU to be bored and a bit annoyed?

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Feb-13 09:53:14

It sounds like the problem is in his head not his food.

I don't know what to suggest OP but I feel very sorry for you.

StuntGirl Mon 25-Feb-13 09:54:20

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being vegan, and he is eating with the rest of the family just not the aninal produced parts. So YABU about that.

Buying organic and avoiding over processed food is great, but only if you can afford it.

Trying to force you to follow his diet is not on if you've expressly said you're not interested. This is where YANBU and he needs to respect your choices. But it works both ways and you need to respect his too.

exoticfruits Mon 25-Feb-13 09:57:32

Ignore him. Carry on as normal and let him cater for himself if he wants different-or suggest he does all the shopping and cooking.

MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 09:59:14

I haven't got time to read the report. When I read, it's things like The Last Noo Noo or stuff for work.

I would be worried about the effect of his loopy obsessions on the DCs. Also sitting down together and enjoying good food is one of the great pleasures of family life.

BeehavingBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 10:09:02

Are you me?! My DH is exactly the same, but we're sort of used to it now, 6-7 years on from him reading that book (and many, many others). He's moved a little bit away from the food focus and into meditation and living mindfully, the clean, animal-less eating is just part of who he is now and to a less-er extent, the family. It can be super annoying but on the plus side he is never ever ill, has endless patience with the DDs and cooks himself and us amazing food.

LangenFlugelHappleHoff Mon 25-Feb-13 10:14:53

Ba ha ha ha at gregs <childish>

Tell him to shut up before you ram a Filly con carne down his throat.

But your not NBU, because they are his views, hes doesnt need to force feed them to you.

Stop horseing around....rein it in you nightMARE!

ivykaty44 Mon 25-Feb-13 10:15:46

I found the China study a very interesting read, and recently found this on youtube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEuRMm-a6mo

I have since searched to try to find what money the two doctors are making from this and have struggled to find much - the china study is free to download and nothing is promoted to buy from either men. In this search I have found a few people knocking the research and findings, but no one with any medical refrences and all have something themselves they are selling.

I read book and found it was not advocating giving up meat entirely but reducing to what I read was 5% or less of your diet.

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 25-Feb-13 10:17:59

Filly con Carne!! grin grin < spits herbal tea all over phone> that's bloody hilarious.

Op- I have no time for the food-obsessed, although if he's got an eating disorder that's a different matter. I'm talking about people who judge what you eat and make comments about how unhealthy it is. My dp is unfortunately the other way round and eats a MONUMENTAL amount of crap, despite my gentle encouragement/cooking healthy family meals (which he doesn't eat) sad

Not sure which is worse?

BeehavingBaby Mon 25-Feb-13 10:22:03

Also sitting down together and enjoying good food is one of the great pleasures of family life

This is a strain. Also he once told me off in public for drinking a can of diet soda when pregnant.

Influence on the DDs good so far, they are thoughtful and knowledgeable about what they eat, that's all.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Mon 25-Feb-13 10:22:03

Tell him when he does all the cooking he can decide what you all eat.

How bloody annoying.

It's like when my not so D H castigates me for using bleach. Well, he's welcome to scrub mould off the bathroom walls using just elbow grease and ecover if he likes.

Pigsmummy Mon 25-Feb-13 10:22:56

I told my DH that if he turned vegan I would divorce him......

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 10:28:00

mrsmushroom Because I have a bad family history of cancer to be healthy (and it works grin) I've been on the Blood Type Diet for 12 years which might interest yr. DH because it tests every food against every blood type and if yr DH is an O type he could make himself ill by being vegan unless he takes a good B12 supplement.

Some organic meat is okay for all blood types.

HorribleMother Mon 25-Feb-13 10:32:21

He doesn't sound as bad as some, OP, he could be insisting you never have chicken at all.

I grew with food extremists, yes it is very tiring. And if they weren't on about food or conspiracies it was politics and religion. I'm sorry to say this, but in retrospect I see it was a manifestation of underlying OCD, exacerbated by illegal drug use (does your DH smoke pot, OP?)

My crazy family are probably a big factor in why I'm determined to have as few opinions as possible. I'm also fairly intolerant of almost anyone on a crusade or being evangelical about anything. Had my fill decades ago.

StuntGirl Mon 25-Feb-13 10:36:45

You would divorce someone for turning vegan? hmm

HorribleMother Mon 25-Feb-13 10:40:39

I reckon I've met quite a few vegans/veggies who say that they would divorce someone for eating meat. And they would be quite self-righteous about it, too.

specialsubject Mon 25-Feb-13 11:00:37

he should be ashamed and embarrassed of being this gullible, and so ignorant about science.

he is a member of a species which is designed to be omnivorous. If he wants to eat differently he needs to ensure that he gets the right nutrients. Without using food supplements which are not 'natural'. Let him get on with it as long as he cooks his own food. If the sight of a chicken upsets him, he needs to grow up.

BTW it isn't organic if it comes halfway round the planet on an aeroplane.

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 11:06:05

specialsubject you and the scientists would be right if everyone were healthy but I haven't noticed that, in fact the opposite is true IMO and E.

limitedperiodonly Mon 25-Feb-13 11:10:04

Obviously divorcing someone for turning vegan is unreasonable and I guess it's a joke.

But unilaterally making or pressuring major changes to a household definitely puts strain on a marriage.

StuntGirl Mon 25-Feb-13 11:17:14

Intolerance is an ugly trait in anyone, no matter what their reasons horrible.

flatbread Mon 25-Feb-13 11:31:21

I think it is great that he is into a healthy diet and questioning food sources.

I am a vegetarian and could easily turn vegan, except I find it hard to give up yogurt. Perhaps butter too. Oh and honey. But could care less about eggs, milk, icecream, cheese and such.

It is not hard being a vegetarian. Even meat eaters don't really need meat more than twice a week. Pulses and nuts are good sources of protein. With right combos, you can get the full string of amino acids, e.g., beans and corn eaten together, like the South Americans do.

I think a lot of vegetarians are unhealthy because they eat too much carb and processed food like quorn. But then so are the sausage-stuffers who need meat in every meal.

Q: How can you tell if someone is a vegan?
A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Anyone who is evangelical about anything, food, religion, Star Wars etc, are the most boring bloody people on earth.

LTB! smile

MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 11:51:38

Ariel you really ought to read the whole thread. He does much of the cooking. I cook...he cooks....we eat together sometimes...not always.

misscph1973 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:53:42

I read The China Study and after years of being vegetarian I went vegan and also incorporated green smoothies (Victoria Boutenko). But I have recently given it up in favor of eating Paleo (loads of meat and low carb). It was quite hard for me to start to eat meat again and I still don't like the smell of frying in lard ;)

I have in periods been like your DH - I find it hard not to share my knowledge and I love nutrition, health, cooking and food in general. I do try to just love food and not talk about it all the time as I know it annoys many people but it's hard!

You should get your DH to read this:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Spotting-Bad-Science-103-The-China-Study.pdf

This was the article that put me on the path to eating meat again. When I read Robb Wolfs The Paleo Solution, that was it for me, I started eating emat again. Robb Wolf is ex-vegetarian, so you might get your DH to read his book?

After I gave up being a vegan and gave up grains, my skin cleared up and I no longer have smelly vegan farts ;)

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 12:05:48

You're probably an 0 type misschp 1973 You sound a bit like me grin have you looked at the Blood Type WOE ?It's by Dr Peter D'Adamo and explains a lot of things like allergies etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now