To be bothered by DH's new "food militancy"??? He's turned vegan and gone a bit nuts really.

(274 Posts)
MrsMushroom Sun 24-Feb-13 23:38:46

He's always been into healthy eating and working out...it's part of his personality. Fine.

But...a friend of his (big into uncovering government plots and all that...lizard people you know)

Well this friend sent DH a copy of something called The China Study which is a big expose on our food chain etc.

All this happened BEFORE the horse meat thing.

DH is now vegan. He's constantly asking me to read the report...telling me things like "When meat protein mixes with milk protein that is what causes some cancers"

And the latest is that cheap peanut butter has mold in it...which causes cancer.

So we can only buy organic.

He won't eat any processed foods...we hardly have any anway! As a family we didn't eat a lot of meat...one roast chicken a week which we got 3 meals out of...and maybe a bit of bacon.

That was it...no red meat really as we're on a small budget.

I'm frigging SICK of hearing it all!

he's now on Skype with his paranoid mate and they're discussing the evils of that fake meat...what's it called...you know soy stuff.

I cooked a chicken yestersay which I ate with the DDs...he came in from work and asked me to cover the chicken up...I suspect because he was tempted.

AIBU to be bored and a bit annoyed?

expatinscotland Mon 25-Feb-13 01:21:01

Viva, WTF does he eat?

KatieMiddleton Mon 25-Feb-13 01:31:17

I bet these vegan faddies are trumping away like a big brass band!

Next time he pushes you to read his conspiracy-theory crap literature, maybe you should point him in the direction of this? smile

sashh Mon 25-Feb-13 02:46:22

Is he really vegan?

There can be tiny prawns in drinking water. Alcohol is often not vegan. Does he eat bread that he has not made himself? Is wasabi vegan? I know it is haram.

*I would just be challenging everything he ate, questionaing whether it is vegan and being just as annoying.

noblegiraffe Mon 25-Feb-13 04:47:48

And yet life expectancy in the UK is 80 years and only 74 in China.

MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 07:00:38

Sash he makes all our bread...yes he's really vegan. He doesn't worry about micro organisms.

YANBU at all.
Being vegan, or any other type of principled diet- fine.

Lecturing nearest and dearest- not fine.

Talking total and utter crap about food, what it does, and going all curtain-twitchy and starting to believe in conspiracy theories- road to singled-dom!

You're being very tolerant!

Ha ha - I am laughing here at the fact that the OP and her husband have discussed whether or not to worry about 'micro organisms'..smile

Op - I feel very bad for you. How utterly annoying that he is setting himself apart from the family so much through his bloody diet. He sounds completely brainwashed. Hopefully his fad will soon pass - or atleast he will just get on with it.

What's for dinner today? I would subscribe to a daily blog by you about this...wink
thanks

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Feb-13 07:28:24

DH eats veg, fruit, pulses, nuts, bean burgers, jacket potatoes, veg soup, salads, hummus and yoghurts and thats pretty much it. He's really, really skinny. He runs a lot as well, goes out and runs 15 miles in the evening.

DancingInTheMoonlight Mon 25-Feb-13 07:30:53

Hehe i have nothing constructive to say. I think if my dh did this i would be very childish and buy I'm (and cook) all his previous fav meat grin

throckenholt Mon 25-Feb-13 07:38:49

A work colleague just had his umpteenth tooth out in a period of a few months. His parents were vegan and he says his teeth are falling apart because they had no idea of the effects of the diet they fed him would be.

You have to work very hard to make vegan a healthy option given we are a species that is designed to be omnivorous. Meat protein is part of our natural diet.

Next time he starts to lecture ask him to explain to you (in a non aggressive way) the nutrition of veganism. There is more to food than just emotion - no matter how you might dislike some food production methods.

Dawndonna Mon 25-Feb-13 07:39:45

Tell him that Vegan does not have to equal martyr!

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 25-Feb-13 07:41:57

I feel your pain. DH has become evangelical about some woman with plastic tits who has invented the "Eat Clean Diet" and we have to eat everything she says (salmon cooked in soy milk, anyone?) and worship at the Altar of Tosca (for that is her name). I have, rather childishly, drawn a moustache on her beaming face on the cover of her book.

Whatever else Tosca does, she can't cook. Most of the recipes in her book are grilled fish and veg or salad or grilled meat and veg or salad. She is also picky about the carbs and everything has to be wholegrain. I have shown willing and have cooked some of the recipes from her book, while telling DH that I can tell from reading the recipe that they aren't going to work (beyond the meat/fish and veg combo). And this has been proven! We've had rice balls that won't stay formed into balls as they have nothing to hold them together, some kind of dessert, also in ball form, that wouldn't stay together. He broke the food processor grinding nuts and seeds for one of her recipes. And I have insisted that he cook these sorry offerings, as if I cooked them and they went wrong, it would be because I wasn't doing it correctly.

He eats for lunch every single day, tuna, brown rice and lettuce. As we have to have our 5 a day, it is up to me to put these in the evening meal. I have suggested he might like some fruit during the day, but he does not like fruit (he might eat the odd banana, but that is about it). And it is all very boring.

MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 08:16:55

MrsSchad does he buy responsibly fished tuna? Doesn't he know it's full of Mercury? wink

Viva...your Dh eats basically what mine eats. Bloody weirdos.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 25-Feb-13 08:20:48

YANBU. You should introduce your DH to my bloody mother. She's recently turned vegan "for spiritual reasons" after 40 years of being vegetarian. Her Facebook page is full of memes and blogs about how evil dairy is and she was so smug when the horsemeat scandal broke. I live her to pieces but am more than a bit fed up with the evangelism!

Did you start the thread about him starting to buy into his friend's "lizard" theories? Has he stopped that now?

claraschu Mon 25-Feb-13 08:25:11

The China Study makes very interesting reading.
There are lots of reasons to be vegan, and some vegans are incredibly annoying about it.
Lots of meat eaters are extremely annoying and dismissive of other people's choices too, and this thread shows that clearly.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 25-Feb-13 08:32:23

Nothing wrong with being vegan - but you have to do it properly. As someone said up thread, it's not natural so you have to work pretty hard to get all the macro/micro nutrients. Ask your DH where his vitB12 is coming from, there is no natural vegan source for it, so it needs to be taken as a supplement.

From the sounds of it he needs to watch his protein too, I he is just eating veg while you have a roast dinner where is the protein? (There is protein in veg the not a lot).

Also, some of the best vegan protein sources are processed in some way - tofu, tempeh, and seitan so he really really needs to watch his intake. (Also Quorn is not vegan if that is what you were referring to in your OP)

expatinscotland Mon 25-Feb-13 08:34:40

Sounds like he has an eating disorder, Viva.

livinginwonderland Mon 25-Feb-13 09:20:26

viva your husband sounds like my dad! his "phase" has gone on for eight years or so now!

expatinscotland i'd disagree with it being an eating disorder. there's nothing wrong in running and being healthy. my dad eats the same as viva's husband and he doesn't have an eating disorder. he's perfectly healthy, very fit, runs a lot etc. -he just won't eat meat or processed food (however, if he's in a restaurant or at someone's house and is offered it, he will eat it). it's not an eating disorder to be healthy!

MrsMushroom Mon 25-Feb-13 09:24:52

SPB yes...luckily he sees that is a load of tosh now. He loves his mate and I think this is something they can bond over but to be hoenst when we saw his mate over Christmas, I felt he seemed a bit mentally unstable.

His wife looked very strained and he talks about conspiracy theories with anyone who will listen....he and DH discuss nutrition ALL the time...at least it's better than pondering whether the QUeen is a lizard or not. hmm

I kind of see where Expat is coming from...sometimes eating disorders are disguised in "allergies" and veganism. I had anorexia as a teenager and in my 20s...I can spot a disorder a mile off and DH has always been a bit that way inclined.

An extreme need to control his diet etc.

Can we call them "Vegangelists"?

I know not all vegans are like this at all (I know some lovely, NON-vegangelical ones), but the ones that are drive me a bit potty. I'm a lifelong veggie because I don't like the thought of eating meat, but I don't feel the need to lecture others.

12ylnon Mon 25-Feb-13 09:35:47

Oh god, this would drive me up the wall. I would read the report... and then tell him he's being a massive twat and to stop bringing it up. Make it very clear that you're fine with the decision he's made, but you have no intention of following him on his crazy food journey and it's driving you up the wall hearing about it.

I've been vegetarian since i was 9 and luckily, my DP was brought up a veggie too. We're not evangelical AT ALL. Literally no fucks given what other people eat (although, i do wish people would eat more free range, but i certainly wouldn't nag people about it).

Have you told him it's annoying you?

weegiemum Mon 25-Feb-13 09:38:17

I was actually going o say what expat said.

I've known 2 people with eating disorders and in both cases it went from healthy omnivorous diet -> healthy vegetarian diet -> much less healthy veggie diet -> veganism (but not managed properly) -> not eating at all. Both poor women were incredibly evangelical about every stage, becoming increasingly more so.

They also both exercised to extreme.

I'm not saying this is what is wrong here, but I can see some red flags.

Hullygully Mon 25-Feb-13 09:42:06

He's right though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now