Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel a bit upset that my friend has not invited me to her wedding?

(277 Posts)
stormforce10 Sun 24-Feb-13 22:52:57

We've known each other since we were 11 and stayed good friends. I met her fiancee on a train which got delayed, we talked for hours, stayed in touch and a few years ago I introduced them and 10 months ago they got engaged.

This evening I spoke to her and she told me that she's decided not to invite me to their wedding in April as she only wants a small one. Fair enough but given she's invited all her work colleagues and quite a lot of our other friends and their families AIBU to feel somewhat upset and wonder if there is another reason she's decided to leave me out

dimsum123 Mon 25-Feb-13 09:53:21

Dont send her a card. Distance yourself from her. Her loss entirely.

FruOla Mon 25-Feb-13 09:54:21

Actually, it makes me wonder how she 'sold' the idea, of not inviting storm, to her fiance?!

MortifiedAdams Mon 25-Feb-13 09:57:53

Id see it as something like this meaning the end of our closeness maybe even friendship, therefore Id.have nothing to lose in speaking to her about it.

The fact that all of your mutual friends have not only been invited but have also said ita odd that you arent gives you reason enough.

Red is right, btw. Guarantee it.

cornishsue Mon 25-Feb-13 09:58:55

What a horrible situation, OP.

Although many people have said not to 'confront' her about it, I think I would have to. Like KKK said, NOT in a begging for an invitation way (sod that) but because I would have to know why. If I didn't know why I think it would always bother me and maybe I'd even think 'what did I do wrong?' So if I were you I would ask in a non confrontational sort of why and THEN move on. Damned if I would send a card though!!

FellatioNels0n Mon 25-Feb-13 10:00:58

YABNU. A small wedding is one thing, but to invite other non-close colleagues and friends but not you is just mean, given the circumstances of how you met.

stormforce10 Mon 25-Feb-13 10:08:44

Thanks again. The more I think about this the more upset I am. When they first got engaged she even said she wanted dd to be a bridesmaid. Thankfully I never told dd as i know how upset she'd be if that was taken away from her.

I never noticed any kind of spark with her fiancee. I've got loads of male friends and friendship really is as far as it goes in the vast majority of cases. There are one or two I've got a slightly more "interesting" history with but he is certianly not one of them. Will just have to assume its the reason though - after all surely it can't only be DP that has such terrible taste in women grin

FruOla Mon 25-Feb-13 10:36:50

OMG, that's even worse shock

She wanted dd to be bridesmaid? WTF?

Definitely no card, unless she explains herself. (But don't ask her fgs - I mean if she comes to you unasked and explains to you what is going on).

In the circumstances, sending a card would be terribly passive aggressive. grin

shrimponastick Mon 25-Feb-13 10:48:16

Blimey.

my two pennorth - just step back.

don't bother with a card or gift. If she deigns to discuss with you the reasons why you aren't invited - then feel free to speak your mind.

BobbiFleckmann Mon 25-Feb-13 10:48:47

yes Arbitrary it would be... which is probably why I'd send one with a lovely note about how happy I was to have introduced them in the first place and wish them a lifetime of happiness from a chance encounter on a train... but that would be wrong. Even wronger would be to send a gift of a lovely picture frame (containing a photo of the four of you, if you have one?)

Well, if you're going to be passive aggressive, you should do it in style!

LayMizzRarb Mon 25-Feb-13 10:50:33

What a cow! I wouldn't bother to send a card or present. Instead, spend the money on a treat for you and your family. If anyone asks if you are going, just tell the truth - she hasn't asked you. It says a lot more about you than it does her.

FruOla Mon 25-Feb-13 10:52:41

Agreed, Arbitrary, that's why I thought it would be nice to send her a lovely card, which she can keep with all her other wedding mementos wink grin, (although she'll probably throw it away).

FruOla Mon 25-Feb-13 10:53:48

Ooops - Xposted!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 25-Feb-13 10:57:11

I was all for ignoring her and moving on until the bridesmaid comment.

How old is your DD?

How regularly are you in contact with her? I mean - would you like go for lunch/coffee with her, do you live close by? Or is your interaction more random ie few times a year?

I wouldn't be able to carry on in a casual way with a person like that.

And - I think I would need to know WTF was up. If she is a good friend, has been for a while, and you think this is a real aberation.

I'd be sending her this email:

"Look, I'm afraid I find this whole thing a bit strange. I am very relieved that I didn't mention anything to DD in particular about being a bridesmaid. If there is something specific I've done to upset you, I would hope that we know each other well enough by now that you'd just say."

But if you're happy for the friendship to drift away then just leave it.

Cherriesarelovely Mon 25-Feb-13 10:59:53

To be fair I did suggest my DP sent a card with a passive agressive message! I think actually she booked a couple of days holiday either side of the wedding weekend knowing that all her colleagues would be chatting about the wedding. She sent a quick chatty email to her colleague that was getting married before she left filling her in on a couple of work issues. Then in the P.S she wrote "Hope the wedding goes well...my invitation must have been lost in the post".

Needless to say she didn't get a response but made her point!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 25-Feb-13 11:01:26

If the fiance fancied you, I think you would have known by now, she would have cut you off earlier/shown signs she had issues with it. I don't think that it would have gotten this far.

I think it's something else personally.

StuntGirl Mon 25-Feb-13 11:02:31

bobbi's idea sounds the best so far grin

Greydog Mon 25-Feb-13 11:06:01

How unkind. But I'm with Arbitrary and Frurola, lovely card for a lovely couple, so glad I was able to introduce you type of thing, and drop it off at the reception venue to be handed to the groom.

foreversunny Mon 25-Feb-13 11:07:48

YANBU. How odd and horrid!

You're coming across as very dignifying too, wanted to tell you that smile

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Mon 25-Feb-13 11:07:54

What a nasty piece of work, poor you.

Yanbu!!

I agree with pp about the jealousy aspect.

BobbiFleckmann Mon 25-Feb-13 11:09:32

Send a telegram! Then she won't know about your wonderful passive aggressive goodwill wishes until the best man reads them out in front of everyone!

pictish Mon 25-Feb-13 11:11:48

How have people reached the conclusion that her friend's fiance has a crush on her, and her friend is jealous?! confused

It's an idea I suppose...among countless others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now