to wonder who buys actual Neurofen or Anadin and why?

(153 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Sun 24-Feb-13 18:44:00

When the brand stuff costs £££££ but the same stuff in a non-name or value box costs 16p?

Why would you? I don't gettit confused

SyraCusa Sun 24-Feb-13 20:33:20

CatuptheDuff Totally agree re Feminax. I'm equally puzzled by the scale of the price difference between brand/own-brand painkillers, but old Feminax was the only thing I've ever had that could touch my awful period pain. Other paracetamol - codeine mixes just don't have the same blessed effect.

Have been hunting for a replacement (Feminax Express is just ibuprofen and Ultra makes me feel sick), but from this thread I realise I might have been enjoying placebo effect despite my skepticism confused.

StickyFloor Sun 24-Feb-13 20:40:56

My GP has been giving me iron supplements on prescription for over a year now, and I have to pay for each prescription - imagine my horror when a new girl at the pharmacy very very kindly pointed out to me that their own unbranded, over-the-counter iron tablets were 1/4 of the price and exactly the same!

All that bloody money I had wasted, I was livid and very grateful to the new pharmacist. Next time I see my GP I will mention it and see what she says - she must have known a cheaper one was available to buy.

HappySeven Sun 24-Feb-13 21:27:42

Did anyone watch the Prof Regan programme a couple of years ago when she investigated things to see if they were scientifically proven and could go in her 'pharmacy'?

She conducted an experiment getting rugby players to take Nurofen and then timing how long they could hold their hand in iced water. They then repeated it using generic ibuprofen. All of the men thought the two drugs should be the same BUT the men did better on the Nurofen. Then they showed them that actually they'd taken Nurofen both times and it was all psychological.

Branded were more effective than non-branded, two pills better than one, big pills better than small unless they are v small...

Very interesting!

midastouch Sun 24-Feb-13 21:30:23

I buy nurofen, i like that theyre little and round and sugary! grin and i think they work faster. Unless you are a regular pain killer buyer £2 isnt really a lot

Schooldidi Sun 24-Feb-13 21:31:19

I did see that Happy. It was really interesting.

Montybojangles Sun 24-Feb-13 21:34:35

Ibuprofen lysine (sold as boot/ tescos own, or as nurofen migraine/ tension headache) works considerably faster than regular ibuprofen, so I pay the extra for whatever is available.
I have migraines and the quicker it works, the less likely I will be completely incapacitated for the whole day.
Worth the extra expense believe me.

Alconleigh Sun 24-Feb-13 21:39:36

I had no idea people still bought the branded stuff. You're all quite right of course, it's none of mine how you spend your money, but it's bonkers to buy branded one drugs such as ibuprofen. Slightly different for combo stuff such as anadin extra, but I lived with a medical student who always advised combining one para and one ibu, and that does indeed seem a charm.

heyannie Sun 24-Feb-13 21:40:54

Feminax used to have something else along with the paracetamol and codeine (hyosciene?) that I think used to work on nausea, back in those days (2004ish) it was the greatest drug ever, I'm pretty sure generic versions were available too. Then it disappeared and they replaced it with a crappy version that did nothing for me, codeine and paracetamol did not knock out the pain. But now they do Feminax Ultra or something, which is Naproxen, which is bloody awesome. Boots does it's own brand of it which is marginally cheaper, but still a few quid.

noddyholder Sun 24-Feb-13 21:44:48

One cheapo aspirin with one cheapo paracetomol and a cup of coffee kills most headaches and muscle pain!

shallweshop Sun 24-Feb-13 21:45:04

Nurofen (or any ibuprofen) doesn't work for me. I buy Sainsbury's own paracetomol for 19p - works a treat.

LadyKatherine Sun 24-Feb-13 21:46:36

IceBergJam, Syndol seems to be back on the shelves now (at least it is at my local supermarket pharmacy). Not sure if any of the ingredients have changed though since they were withdrawn from sale.

SomethingOnce Sun 24-Feb-13 22:03:22

Generics FTW!

Zipitydooda Sun 24-Feb-13 22:17:50

I buy branded children's drugs:

Purple=calpol-paracetamol
Orang/silver= ibuprofen

This is after buying calprofen? (ibuprofen in purple bottle) and accidentally overdosing baby in the night when I wasn't awake enough to realise it wasn't calpol.

Is that true about placebos working even if you know they're placebos? I've been curious about this for years. Many moons ago, I saw a homeopath about my hayfever, purely to keep my mum quiet. I don't believe in homeopathy whatsoever but the 'doctor' said my hayfever would be gone in 2 years and it was. I've always assumed that it was purely a coincidence but I sometimes wonder whether placebos can work even if you don't believe in them... but then hayfever is a genuine allergic response which I presume wouldn't respond to a placebo. All very interesting...

LittleEdie Sun 24-Feb-13 22:32:53

I think you can be aware of the placebo effect, and it still work. That's my justification anyway.

DorisIsWaiting Sun 24-Feb-13 22:33:32

We buy which ever doesn't have the lactose in as dh is dairy intolerant. depending on the shop sometimes we can 'go cheap' and sometimes it has to be branded (although that varies product to product too).

DD's however now belive that tesco's own brand is calpol, and the pink stuff is a horrible version of it grin

PiggyPlumPie Sun 24-Feb-13 22:47:54

I only take Nurofen for headaches even though I know that a generic ibuprofen will probably work just as well. The thing is that I know that Nurofen will knock the pain into touch pretty quickly and I can't guarantee that generics will.

Placebo effect or not, I don't care, I just want my headache to jog on!

Buzzardbird Sun 24-Feb-13 22:59:49

The pills with caffeine do work more quickly but you get the exact same affect from drinking a caffeine based drink after the tablets so no need to pay more.

MechanicalTheatre Sun 24-Feb-13 23:06:29

My mum once tried to make me take pain killers prescribed for a dog.

A DOG.

It's all the same stuff, she said.

Maybe it is, but I am not risking it.

A couple of times I've taken branded medicine, I felt really posh.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 24-Feb-13 23:06:33

Lemsip max has a decongestant, pheynol-something or other.. Just inhaling the stream of that stuff helps unblock my nose. But it tastes like shit and upsets my tummy.

Much rather just make honey and lemon drink and gave a couple of paracetamol

MechanicalTheatre Sun 24-Feb-13 23:13:45

Oh Lemsip Max Strength is the business. That does work really well. Same stuff that's in Sudafed.

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 24-Feb-13 23:25:24

I do laugh at people who don't buy own brand drugs. Boots the Chemist INVENTED ibuprofen so why would you think that own brand is not as good as expensive branded stuff? You are paying for advertising and shiny packaging!

I buy ibuprofen for DD from the pound shop, they have a pink sweet-tasting coating, so much nicer to take than uncoated ones. They're £1 for three packs of 16. For myself, I get a mega-sized pack of 400mg ibuprofen from the local chemist, dirt cheap but without the nice sugar coating!

Paracetamol are about 20p for 16 from Morrisons, they even have a choice - tablets, caplets or capsules.

My mum and dad buy Panadol and Nurofen. They will not be swayed by my arguments that they are just dressed-up paracetamol and ibuprofen. But when the doctor prescribed paracetamol for my mum, and it came in a box marked "Paracetamol", she swore it was brilliant. hmm

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 24-Feb-13 23:27:39

I have also been at a psychology lecture where they debunked a "nothing works faster" tag line from a well known drug manufacturer. They are technically right, nothing works faster, but they don't mention that it works just as fast as the other stuff. Not faster but also not slower!

PassTheTwiglets -- I was told something similar about my hayfever (that it would get worse up until X point, then get better, then plateau off to a reasonably constant level) by my GP as a teenager -- so I think there may just be a fairly standard/consistent pattern for hayfever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now