to expect the changing room to be given up for me?

(92 Posts)
alisunshine29 Sun 24-Feb-13 16:26:02

I took DD's aged 5 yrs and 8 months swimming today. Our pool has 3 big changing rooms which have the blue changing tables for babies, about 20 cubicles that fit 2/3 people in and about 20 individual sized ones. I was drying DD's hair under the hand dryer directly in front of the big changing rooms after swimming waiting for one to become free. When it did I told DD to take her bag in there while I picked up the rest of our stuff. A single man stepped in front of her as she got to the door and shut it in her face, narrowly missing her fingers. I knocked on the door and asked if he had any children joining him, when he said no I asked if he'd mind moving to a different cubicle - of which there were plenty available - so I could use the large room to change with kids. He said no so I said that's what the rooms are there for, he said 'show me the sign that says so'...at which point I said 'you shouldn't need a sign to tell you to have some common decency and let two small cold children get dressed, particularly after you just slammed a door in ones face and almost trapped her fingers.' He just shrugged, said 'she looks fine to me' and closed the door before shouting 'and don't knock on the door again, it's very rude!' I'm hoping you'll agree he was a complete dick, but was it unreasonable of me to knock in the first place?

He shouldn't have pushed in front of your little girl like that. He was the entitled one imo, he thought as an adult that he could just barge in front of her.

The first popcorn poster contributed exactly zero to this post...unless shit stirring counts of course.

TidyDancer Sun 24-Feb-13 16:37:44

My guess is your DD wasn't as close to the door as you think and he just went into a changing room that happened to be the one you wanted.

In which case, neither of you is particularly wrong. He probably thought you were behaving like a brat, and you thought he was being rude.

What a dick he was.

And you were entitled (in the original sense of the word) since your DD was there first! He's an idiot if he doesn't realize that the bigger changing rooms are best used by several people not by one lone person.

You could go to the main desk and ask them to put a sign up saying family changing though - might help idiots like him, I suppose.

aldiwhore Sun 24-Feb-13 16:38:36

Clear signs would avoid the problem, or at least give parent firm cause for actually getting into a row with others.

In our local pool, the disabled/family/singleton and baby changing rooms are one... people do not cue in order of need, they simply jump in when one becomes available.

I hate changing rooms anyway. I particularly hate babychanging units... they always stink and look like they're going to fall off the wall. shrugs

I think my unsympathetic stance comes from the fact that the man could have been forgiven for not realising you were queuing... as you were actually doing something else at the time. He WAS a dick...

I just can't get cross about it sorry.

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:39:12

Oh lighten up so called comedycentral- its in reference to how these threads always end up

MajaBiene Sun 24-Feb-13 16:40:11

Even if the dick didn't realise they were queuing, if someone with a baby asks to use the changing room with a baby changing table in it, and you do not have a baby and there are other cubicles available, why would you not swap?

usualsuspect Sun 24-Feb-13 16:40:59

The changing room threads nearly always kick off.

emsyj Sun 24-Feb-13 16:41:37

YANBU, but I think the way you challenged him was taking the wrong approach - I would have pointed out that he had just barged in front of my DD and that she was there first etc. I do wish there was some 'policing' of the changing rooms with baby change facilities tbh - there aren't enough of them at our local pool to enable those who don't genuinely need the changing table and additional space to take them. There are two disabled changing rooms that are locked, and only opened to allow those in genuine need of the facilities to access them - maybe given the very limited baby facilities, the leisure centres could consider doing this - have doors on these rooms that only open with a token and you collect this when you arrive with a baby. Or have them booked with time slots. It's a right PITA taking babies swimming if you can't get a changing table.

MajaBiene Sun 24-Feb-13 16:42:14

The normal response to:
"Excuse me, can I use this large cubicle with the changing table in it as I have small children with me?"

would be:
"Yes of course, I didn't realise you were waiting".

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:42:23

The thread title got my back up immediatley tbh.
If the OP said 'was this man a class A pillock and AIBU to think anyone with an ounce of manners would have allowed us to use this facility' I would have simply said YADNBU

maddening Sun 24-Feb-13 16:42:27

Why is there a sense of entitlement - she was queuing for the cubicle and he dashed in front - I doubt he didn't see the little girl who was probably closer to the door and obviously heading there before he started to go to it and the fact that he didn't hurt the girl is more luck than judgement.

She also had a greater need for the larger cubicle and he acted like an arse.

You are still shit stirring...and not really contributing though!

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:44:08

If you say so comedy.

usualsuspect Sun 24-Feb-13 16:45:00

I think you should have just waited for the next cubicle to become free.

I wouldn't have knocked on the door. I might have huffed and puffed a bit though.

emsyj Sun 24-Feb-13 16:45:13

"I particularly hate babychanging units... they always stink and look like they're going to fall off the wall."

The changing tables at our local swimming pool aren't attached to the wall and they're just a sort of plastic concave table - no fabric, no padding etc - just a heavy plastic table that you can put the baby on as the sides are dished and baby can't roll off. Not similar at all to the ones you get in toilets. you just wrap the baby in a towel and plonk them down (rather than having to put them on the floor).

Actually now I am shit stirring. And I agree with your recent post, the title is a little off.

fluckered Sun 24-Feb-13 16:46:54

two posts saying someone is shit stirring with their replies doesnt add anything to thread either.

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:47:19

Now you are talking sense wink

fluckered Sun 24-Feb-13 16:47:23

ha ha snap comedycentral!

Matildaduck Sun 24-Feb-13 16:47:38

I shamed someone into leaving a baby changing cubical once. ( cue very loud voice are you taking this cubical then with baby change when you have school age children.)

Her kids were 5 plus ( school uniform) mine were 6 months and 2.3m. I was on my own, we were wet. She was dry.

Facilities are there for young children ( baby change) at five you can go in a cubical.

I hope i never forget how hard it is to manage small people and never make it harder for others.

As you can see I have just noted that. I realise that I am being a grumpy comedy today.

fluckered Sun 24-Feb-13 16:49:19

lucky for you i love comedycentral wink

Is it too early for wine !

grin

FutTheShuckUp Sun 24-Feb-13 16:49:42

Never mind that, lets get back to slating men the idiot who stole the cubicle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now