to wish I was Scottish

(383 Posts)
kim147 Sun 24-Feb-13 13:59:31

Or French or Welsh

When they have such passionate anthems and sing them with soul and enthusiasm grin

FannyFifer Sun 24-Feb-13 14:46:14

Disnae matter about the words, tis all about the tune you fud. wink

FannyFifer Sun 24-Feb-13 14:47:00

Fud = fanny

Thumbwitch Sun 24-Feb-13 14:47:21

Feck, that's a heck of a long national anthem! shock

Thumbwitch Sun 24-Feb-13 14:47:39

Thanks Fanny! grin

Salmotrutta Sun 24-Feb-13 14:48:15

Thumbwitch - I had to google it. It's not common in these parts.

It means, ahem, the "c" word.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 24-Feb-13 14:48:46

I'm not wildly keen on Flower of Scotland, I prefer Caledonia too, i'm Scottish BTW.
I think England should have Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem, both great anthems.
GSTQ is just a dirge.
My favourite is the Welsh one I have to say, though i don't have a Welsh bone in my body.
It sends shivers up my spine.

Fud=fanny=fanjo!

The second verse unaccompanied gets me every time! And it's true, those days are past now, but we can still rise and be an independent nation again!

Long, martial and a bit bombastic, I think, Thumbwitch!

The Irish gets me too at the "Ireland, iiiiiiiirrrrrreeeeeelllllaaaannnnnnddddd, together standing tall, shoulder to shoulder we answer Ireland's call"

FannyFifer Sun 24-Feb-13 14:52:23

Cunt can also be used as a term of endearment, in Fife anyway. grin

As in "he's a great cunt".

kim147 Sun 24-Feb-13 14:52:25

Well - it's got passion. And as fannyfifer says, it's the tune. You need to have passion and to belt it out.

"Marchons, marchons"

"Ireland, Ireland, together standing tall"

"

BrandNewRetro Sun 24-Feb-13 14:52:51

Anyone else from Holmfirth care to join me in a chorus of our anthem...

redlac Sun 24-Feb-13 14:53:31

Cunt can be a term of endearment here (Stirlingshire) too Fanny

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sun 24-Feb-13 14:53:33

If you're in the Millennium Stadium with the roof closed and hear the national anthem belted out, or Cwm Rhondda, I swear it's just like being in a cathedral. It's a nigh-on religious experience grin.

The Marseillaise isn't bad either. The bit towards the end where they to that "Ta daaaaah...!" bit after the quieter minor key bit makes me want to fling off my hat and yell "Vive la Republique!" despite clearly not being French.

Flower of Scotland is ok, but Scotland the Brave is better.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 24-Feb-13 14:54:19

Oh and I agree about 500 Miles.
Maybe we should get the Proclaimers to tweak the words a bit.
I would love that as our national Anthem.

Aye, but youse lot over the water in fife are a bit strange eh, fanny! wink

Salmotrutta Sun 24-Feb-13 14:57:53

It taks a lang spoon...

Saltire Sun 24-Feb-13 14:59:56

I love Flo'er O Scotland except when sung by tuneless drunks in pub. Although I will admit it is a bit of a dirge,a nd sounds far far better played on pipes and not by a brass band like they do at Twickenham

MechanicalTheatre Sun 24-Feb-13 15:05:13

We say "cunt" as a term of endearment in Aberdeenshire too. The cunt's nae a bad cunt.

Jist a peety that neen o ye cunts kin unnerstan a word we're sayin, ken?

That's all part of the psychology though Saltire. It would be a cold day in hell when they would allow the pipes at twickenham! It needs to be sung with passion and gusto though, non of this warbling wonders like Katherine Jenkins or whatshername garret!

Far a boots dee yi bide in Aberdeenshire MT? Am a too see, bit DH is a teuchter fae farming stock!

lurkerspeaks Sun 24-Feb-13 15:08:38

Another Scot. Dislike the words to Flower of Scotland as I find them distasteful. Love being at Murrayfield (not today sad) when it is being sung.

I prefer Caledonia but I like the Dougie Maclean version. I don't think it would be a very rousing rugby song though...

SLSC is rubbish. I've never been to Twickenham though might sound better there than it does at Murrayfield.

Toonser! Bloody iPad disnae spik Doric!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sun 24-Feb-13 15:10:12

I met Dougie in a pub once <pointless anecdote>

OverlyYappy Sun 24-Feb-13 15:17:31

I love Auld Land Syne

Usually on when pissed and they play it the end of a family party and everyone stands in a circle (usually all pissed) holding hands with arms crossed jumping in (just to get in proper mess) and the poor couple celebrating in the middle completely mortified/delighted at the mess of a party they have created.

It's a bit like a Rugby scrum if ye ken wat a meen

It's aww gid fun tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now