To think this bra doesn't fit?

(465 Posts)
StuntNun Sat 23-Feb-13 18:30:35

I went to John Lewis for a bra fitting last week as I have changed size post-pregnancy. The sales assistant sized me as a 34G which I was surprised at because I have been wearing a 36 on the second set of hooks so I'm not convinced a 34 would do up. Anyway she brought me three size 36F bras to try on as they didn't have any in 34G. I bought one because I really needed a new bra but I feel a bit squished in it - my boobs are pushed together at the front.

AIBU to think this bra doesn't fit and I should just order in size 36G from the Internet?

If it makes it seem more reasonable, a 34a has the same cup as a 32B, a 30C and a 28D...just on a much smaller back

itchychin Sun 24-Feb-13 20:33:24

I know... it's just it's so ingrained that the cup size is the same across the board that it feels really exciting! (should get out more!) smile and thank you for advice!

I've gone from a 42D to a 36HH and while it is comfy during the day, when I take it off at night I have deep, sore red marks on my sides. I know that there should be some marks but is this too much? My 42D was lovely and comfy, it never marked me but I know it was wrong. I'm in nursing bras if that helps so no wires.

Red marks are normal to an extent RubberBullets, but if they are very deep,red and sore it may be that the sizing needs a tweak, or quite likely that the bra just isn't a perfect one for your shape of breast. There is a huge difference in the marks I get between different bras even though they all "fit".

Which bra are you wearing at the moment?

Royce Charlotte

SatisfiedOtter Sun 24-Feb-13 21:09:38

Hello, I would really appreciate some advice!

I've been wearing a 34B for years now but I'm thinking there's no way that can be right.

I'm quite thin, 5'7 and 8 st 10 and measurements are 28 32.

Thanks in advance!

SatisfiedOtter, on those measurements I would start with a 28D. However, if the cup feels roughly right on the 34B than that suggests you may need a slightly bigger cup than those measurements as a 34B is equal to a 28DD, so I would try that too

Ah Rubber, I missed the nursing bra part. Strangely, the worst bras I have ever had for marking me have been nursing or sports bras. I think it is because the weight of the breasts is distributed differently to a wired bra so I get very bad marks at the side as they are taking all the weight.

SatisfiedOtter Sun 24-Feb-13 21:16:19

Wow, the husband almost choked on his crumpet on hearing that!

Will order online, thanks so much.

I never end up buying the size I'm measured at. I buy whatever feels comfortable, doesn't dig in, doesn't droop and doesn't have 'peanut smuggler' thinness.

Last time I got measured, I was told I was a 34a. I couldn't even wear it for 2 mins in the changing room. I got a 34b. It's fine. I suspect design and adjustability make a big difference.

MrsCosmo...where have you been getting measured out of interest?

Ooh you lovely lot, maybe you can help me!

I always wore a 34-36 B because that's what my mum said I was, after I had DD and my shape settled again I got measured 'properly' as a 34DD. Several years later I discovered MN and one of those older threads about bras and I've been in a 32-34F ever since grin

BUT - recently, I've had problems with the underwires - my ribs hurt! It's like the wires are digging in. I bought a couple of good supportive sports bras without underwires, and the pain has gone.

I'm still in a 32 or 34F (depending on the make - the bands seem to vary a bit). I'm 32 under and 39 over bust. The band lays nice and flat, the wires sit flat against me, on the 'back to front test' I can pull the band about an inch.

I was just about to buy some decent non-underwires thread here but tbh I prefer the wired ones - I like the balconette style.

I'm back! My bras came and are not too bad - the 32g a little big in the cup and the 34f fits really well but done up on the tightest hooks.

So both going back and going to order 32f (no ff) and wonder if the 34f fit well, do you reckon I should try a 32e too?
Although I noticed yesterday, having worn my proper 36dd bra (tightest hooks and a good few inches of stretch lol) that my boobs were kind of folded over to fit in there grin so maybe the e would be too small...?

JollyYellowGiant Mon 25-Feb-13 12:32:48

I think you should go down a back size and up a cup size? So maybe f and g rather than f and e? But someone more knowledgeable will no doubt be along soon!

Ordered 32e, 32f, 34e and 34f grin
One of you will fit, damn you!

And some pretty knickers too, of course

I tried down a back and up a cup already (the 32g) which was too big, so I'm imagining the 32f will fit great... Ahh, I'll just order every size and try them all on grin

It especially makes sense to my logic that if I'm wearing a 36dd at the mo then I'm going down two back sizes, so up two cup sizes...
36>34>32
DD>E>F

Ahh, we'll see tomorrow

by the way, I have no idea where my 32e logic came from, lol

I'm also guessing that when I measure/try them on will make a difference at the mo re breastfeeding

Afritutu Mon 25-Feb-13 14:26:55

This is so true. I went to buy new bras after finishing bf my 2nd dc. I used to wear a 34 b. I am tall, slim build, and have always considered myself to be small chested. I pregnancy I wore a 36d which was pretty loose. I thought I would need a 36 b after finishing feeding. Went to rigby and peller sale to 'treat' myself (never before bought 'nice' underwear, only m&s) and they fit by sight, and said I was 32d. Couldn't believe it. Bought 3 bras, they are fantastic and fit perfectly. Can't believe I have been wearing the wrong size and only found out in my mid 30's......

Beyondthelimits, if the 34F fits in the cup but not in the back, then the 32g is where you should normally go (Next don't do a FF I think you said.) It may be a slightly quality issues, as those two bras should have the same cup size really.

Noodled Mon 25-Feb-13 22:56:37

Found the measure so am 35.5 under bust and my 'huge' bf boobs are 40. I wear a 36c ... It's not far out is it? Sigh ... I wanted to be transformed to a more glam 32something.

SorrelForbes Mon 25-Feb-13 23:00:44

Well, I would suggest trying a 36D, 36DD, 34DD and a 34E.

Noodled Mon 25-Feb-13 23:47:31

Thanks sorrel. Will try the 34e firstsmile it takes the internet and bf to make up for years of 36a!

Zaphiro Mon 25-Feb-13 23:48:54

Ooh do me, please! grin

I'm 5'4, 8st 2lbs, underboob = 30", leaning-over-boob = 35.5".

I've been wearing a 34B forever.

HazleNutt Tue 26-Feb-13 06:49:04

Zaphiro, try 30DD and 30E instead.

Is it worth me listing my old bras on eBay? Worn a few weeks, 34G, 34GG, 36G, 36F. All Boux avenue except the 36F which is curvy Kate. What do they go for roughly?
They are definitely no use to me, on the tightest hooks I can take them off over my head without unhooking themshock! Not just poor fitting, I lost weight too, now 27under, 37 over.
I got caught out by Boux avenue's "add 4/5" and their bustly yet wrong fitters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now