Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this bra doesn't fit?

(465 Posts)
StuntNun Sat 23-Feb-13 18:30:35

I went to John Lewis for a bra fitting last week as I have changed size post-pregnancy. The sales assistant sized me as a 34G which I was surprised at because I have been wearing a 36 on the second set of hooks so I'm not convinced a 34 would do up. Anyway she brought me three size 36F bras to try on as they didn't have any in 34G. I bought one because I really needed a new bra but I feel a bit squished in it - my boobs are pushed together at the front.

AIBU to think this bra doesn't fit and I should just order in size 36G from the Internet?

try a 28DD and 28E chickydoo

HazleNutt Sat 23-Feb-13 22:11:25

chicky, try 28DD or E

chickydoo Sat 23-Feb-13 22:13:16

28 E!! Dear God! Sounds a really weird size, but thank you, will give it a go!

JeeanieYuss Sat 23-Feb-13 22:13:58

On the other thread in chat Sorrell and Statistically challenged were on I followed there advice and went from a 38B up to a 34E..
Loads better, I finally feel supported and the best bit is I look lovely and pert, hehe!

Don't give up and think it's too complicated, it isn't.. I tried on about 3 diff sizes that Sorrell recommended and ended up needing one size bigger, but I only knew that because of the advice on here..
It took me 25 mins max I'd say to try them all on, I also tried lots of diff styles as well in the sizes as diff styles suit different boobs!
As soon as I put the 34E on I knew, there was no 'fourth' boob problem going on, no back fat etc, it was a revelation I'm telling you haha..
This is about the 4th or 5th thread I have seen on bra sizing now, it's obv a problem and it's great that these ladies are helping us all on here!!

grin

Tortoise Sat 23-Feb-13 22:14:32

I'm down to one bra, and it's not comfy at all.
Off to find tape measure! grin

HazleNutt Sat 23-Feb-13 22:15:22

28E won't be easy to find, internet is your best bet. Bravissimo, brastop, figleaves etc.

JeeanieYuss Sat 23-Feb-13 22:15:29

Sorry 'StatisticallyChallenged' bit of a name fail their, sorry!

Tortoise Sat 23-Feb-13 22:22:24

Right, I appear to be 36" under boobs and 46" across boobs.
Currently wearing 40DD as measured at Bhs.
Please help smile

John Lewis do some 28 backs, but not all stores have that particular rage (can't remember the name, but it's one of their "own brand" ones. DD was a 28 back, but rejected all the "scary" bras, and it was a nightmare trying to find plain cotton bras in that back size . But if you're happy to have patterns and a bit of lace, the JL have somegrin.

HazleNutt Sat 23-Feb-13 22:26:00

tortoise, no wonder your bra is not comfy! Start with 36GG.

JeeanieYuss Sat 23-Feb-13 22:26:03

And I have now just realised the thread I was on about was on Style and Beauty, not Chat, if anyone wanted a read of it!

Tortoise Sat 23-Feb-13 22:28:30

Really Hazle? That sounds huge.

HazleNutt Sat 23-Feb-13 22:31:07

cup size is more difficult to guess just based on measurements, so take a few size 36 bras, scoop everything into the cups and see how it fits. Try it under a tight t-shirt - there should not be any overspill or four-boob.

Bluelightsandsirens Sat 23-Feb-13 22:31:38

I never get on these threads at the beginning so marking my place for future reference and a reminder to buy a measuring tape.

I have to join in! I'm in nursing bras at the mo that are way too big but I was trying not to buy new as DS2 is 10m old now and will hopefully be dropping constant day feeds soon...

So, under boob is 32.5" Fullest part (leaning forward braless) is 41"
I have old pre preg bras that are 34 though, and they dont go round me??

The only proper bra I have that seems to fit is a 36D (I def tried 34s too small and DDs too big when I bought it)

Do me! smile

Yup Tortoise, 36GG. The bra you are wearing just now has (approximately) the same cup volume as a 36F. So it's not that big a step up when you think of it that way.

nailak Sat 23-Feb-13 22:35:00

so per inch difference between back size and bust size you add a cup size? (dod that make sense?

Beyondthelimitsofacceptability...

I would start you in a 32G.

The reason your old 34s don't go round is probably because the cup is massively too small. Try putting them on back to front - bet they do up grin

Yup that's right just nailak. Watch out of the doubles - most brands in the uk go A,B,C,DD,E,F,FF,G,GG,H,HH,J,JJ,K....AA is < 1 inch

Jury is out on whether it's per inch between back measurement or back size (I tend towards back size) which is why especially for people who are, say, 31" we will normally suggest a range of sizes to try.

SCOTCHandWRY Sat 23-Feb-13 22:45:07

I am really top heavy - size 12 bottom, 18 on top (and its difficult to get tops which fit at the waist and also at the bust).

Am wearing 40f, just measured myself as 34 under, and a huge 47 over! The band too loose going by the descriptions on this thread, and pull up a bit, not sitting horizontal hmm

Tortoise Sat 23-Feb-13 22:46:07

Ok, thanks.
Off to look online.

nailak Sat 23-Feb-13 22:46:14

so back measurement and backsize are different? i am confused.

i measured myslelf 32 37

i have been wearing 34d or 36 c/d but have put on more weight. Is defo not right size, too tight wires dig in.
I am not convinced 32 dd would fit?

I've just ordered me some 32Gs and a 34F to try, will be here Monday so I'll be back with a verdict grin

Scotchandwry....34J to start with which should feel far more comfortable, but try at least a cup size either side of that.

Nailak..it's more that some women measure, say, 31. So jury is out on whether cup size is (top measurement minus 31) or (top measurement - bra back size which would be 30 or 32 as 31s don't exist)

Personally I just recommend people try both but I have found that it tends more towards the difference with bra back than measurement.

Nailak, wI would put you in a 32DD at least, but if wires are digging on a 34D that suggests you may need more cup volume, so I would try an E as well, at least

Didnt see FFs??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now