Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this bra doesn't fit?

(465 Posts)
StuntNun Sat 23-Feb-13 18:30:35

I went to John Lewis for a bra fitting last week as I have changed size post-pregnancy. The sales assistant sized me as a 34G which I was surprised at because I have been wearing a 36 on the second set of hooks so I'm not convinced a 34 would do up. Anyway she brought me three size 36F bras to try on as they didn't have any in 34G. I bought one because I really needed a new bra but I feel a bit squished in it - my boobs are pushed together at the front.

AIBU to think this bra doesn't fit and I should just order in size 36G from the Internet?

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 04-Mar-13 12:47:10

Will do statistically - was fitted as a 34 C and same week as 32 D by M & S but by different lady, am actually a 28F or sometimes 30 E...

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 04-Mar-13 15:46:09

Thanks SC!

Thanks Sorrel it's a fantasie smooth cup bra it's digging in a bit round back but probably as I have rib spread from baby , the wireless maternity bras look awful and sausage like on me , just checked and it's a 36f so might try a G
Many thanks xx

SorrelForbes Mon 04-Mar-13 16:42:40

Hmmmm, I don't get on with Fantasie at all, I find them quite uncomfortable.

If the band is ok back to front then it's definitely worth considering a bigger cup.

Greenkit Mon 04-Mar-13 18:17:54

SC quote - Hmm, right at the bottom can actually be a sign the bra is falling forward too.

Have you ever tried an entirely different shape of bra - something like the Bravissimo Alana, which is much higher in the centre.

That is the sort of bra i usually go for, it could be if I find the right size it will fit without hurting me.

50shades I am also inclined to think it's cup rather than back

Tortoise Tue 05-Mar-13 12:44:05

I've packaged up bras for returning and ordered 2 from Debenhams! Hope at least one of these fit.

Thanks ladies will try bigger cup I'm a size 14 in maternity wear at the moment so back isn't massive

Lilliana Thu 07-Mar-13 11:45:11

Hurray new bras arrived this morning and feel so much better. Norks actually feel supported for the first time grin thanks so much for rescuing my boobs SC!

Tortoise Thu 07-Mar-13 16:25:22

Urgh, these 2 bras don't fit either sad .
Ones a panache and cup too big.
Other one cup too big too sad

woo hoo Lilliana!

HMMM ok Tortoise. Am I right in saying we've had a panche sienna which "fitted" but poked under the arm, and these two which are a bit big in the cup? WHich are the new ones (and what size)

Tortoise Thu 07-Mar-13 21:52:53

Yes that's right.
I linked to them further down(up? lol) thread.
Will see if I can find it. Am on phone so but tricky.
I'm going into Debenhams Saturday so any ideas or sizes to try if one doesn't fit would be fab grin. Thanks.

StuntNun Thu 07-Mar-13 23:02:00

I'm still a bit confused by the equivalent sizes. If I was measured at 34G why would the fitter put me in a 36F?

Basically in terms of volume there is something called sister sizing - if you go up in the back 1 size, you have to decrease the cup size to maintain the same volume. So in theory a 34G should have the same cup volume as a 36FF. However it is a little debatable as to whether it is one or two cups per back size (Married said recently that she reckons 2 back sizes is balanced by 3 cup sizes which seems about right to me)

so a 30c, 32c, 34c cannot contain the same breast tissue.

StuntNun Fri 08-Mar-13 02:30:27

Thanks SC. So the cup volumes of 34G and 36F are the same, but that doesn't mean they will both fit me. I can put my fist under the band of the 36F so the back size is far too big. I went on to buy a Freya 32GG and a Panache 32H but now that I have worn them a while I'm still not sure they are the right fit since in both the centre front is about a centimetre out at the front and the Panache is riding up a bit at the back. They are nursing bras though so I think their support is compromised by the drop cups. I suspect part of my problem is caused by the two shops I went to not having a great selection so I ended up with the best fit they had rather than exact right fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now