Ainu: to think old age doesn't come itself is just a stupid saying

(12 Posts)
Doingfine Fri 22-Feb-13 23:14:10

Or are my aches, pains and leaky bits just the signs of an energetic lifestyle?

sarahseashell Fri 22-Feb-13 23:16:52

hmm eh? what's the 'saying'

sounds like one of those catchphrase contestant guesses smile

SoleSource Fri 22-Feb-13 23:17:13

Sorry I am confused. You mean you have been living a healthy lifestyle and still suffer old age related health problems?

DonderandBlitzen Fri 22-Feb-13 23:19:09

I don't understand the question

DonderandBlitzen Fri 22-Feb-13 23:20:21

I've never heard the expression "old age doesn't come itself"

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 23:23:39

Depends on how old you are.

I'm 42 this year and kind of know what you mean, you get much more careful about not putting your back out grin

Not something that ever crossed my mind when I was a young whippersnapper grin

Doingfine Fri 22-Feb-13 23:23:44

Ouch. Must be a local saying[confusd]

echt Fri 22-Feb-13 23:25:42

Is it about mental attitudes towards ageing, old before your time?

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 23:25:43

I've never heard the saying before either, but it means that age doesn't just mean you get older in years, your body fucks up too mwahahaha

Can't wait.

echt Fri 22-Feb-13 23:29:23

Oh, I get it now, old age doesn't come on its own, it brings the old bodily decay along with the years. I think.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 22-Feb-13 23:29:29

I've heard something similar. (Scotland). It means you don't just get old and keep feeling like the teenager you are in your head, you get older and (as Agent Zigzag says) you get aches and pains. You learn to live with grief, whether that's through bereavement or separation from loved ones. You learn that decisions you made back when you knew everything were actually poor decisions. You might mourn or regret them, but you can't turn the clock back.

No, old age doesn't come by itself.

And I'm not even all that old.

AmandaLF Fri 22-Feb-13 23:41:27

I've heard it. I work in healthcare and hear it a lot. Alongside never to grow old! I mean, if I wasn't to grow old then I don't fancy the alternative!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now