To tell you how to spend LESS time on Mumsnet?

(121 Posts)
CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 21:26:19

Have been feeling less than motivated at work recently, due to bonkers boss, impossible targets and the fact that I am working notice before starting a new job soon.

The temptation to sit on Mumsnet during working hours has the potential to get me into serious trouble.

Have recently discovered focalfilter which lets you block specific sites for specific amounts of time, e.g. 4 hours.

If only I had known about this when studying for my degree

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:06:16

I thought it would be useful for parents who wanted to restrict e.g. Facebook when kids were supposed to be using the computer for homework rather than going through the faff of turning off the wifi.

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 22:07:36

That's not a bad use for it Cheddar.

NewYearNewBoo Fri 22-Feb-13 22:08:05

Ooh that Olivia has the big red button tonight and she ain't afraid to use it!! Love it!!

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:09:29

Hullygully

"really cheddar?

are you sure?"

I might regret this, but I will respond to pm's , although may take a while as I have a chicken pox-y DD and it's nearly my bed time.

Olivia, it would be quicker for you to restore my OP smile

It would be so annoying if a thread just started kicking off and you only had one minute of time left though, there is a lot to be said for being weak willed sometimes grin

snowtimelikethepresent Fri 22-Feb-13 22:09:44

If that's what your OP was Gorgeous (i.e a link to a website telling you how to curb online time) I am at a loss as to how it breaks talk guidelines, unless it is yet another example of the thought police at MNHQ making up rules as they go along.

Of course this may be their idea of a little joke....

Indith Fri 22-Feb-13 22:10:39

oh can someone pm me the link please? about to start degree, have no willpower but don't want to go cold turkey as you lot are too lovely. trouble with modern learning, you tend to need internet!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 22-Feb-13 22:13:01

if it's the same tool i used, it's not foolproof
in desperation I downloaded a browser, which allowed me back on my <self-imposed> banned sites.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:13:32

Have reinstated the OP - was afraid twas cheeky SPAM (!)

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 22:13:36

Well, nothing against your thread Cheddar, but they've got an extra 50 odd posts, it's Olivias gin night and she was double dared good business.

WorraLiberty Fri 22-Feb-13 22:14:08

Can't understand a thread without an OP though, it's a bit like Greggs without pastry

grin grin

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 22:14:43

Hahaha at x-posting grin

<scribbles out bits in last post a bit more>

happyjustobeme Fri 22-Feb-13 22:15:43

Am i the only one who can see the OP? She says to use focalfilter to limit the time spent.

TuftyFinch Fri 22-Feb-13 22:16:06

It's snowing.

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:16:33

Will try again and see if it is deleted:

focalfilter

You set a period of time during which you cannot access named websites.

My favourite time wasters are Mumsnet, Rightmove and BBC News.

It's free.

Disclaimer: Mumsnet is great and you should only use this blocker if your life or livelihood are at risk.

Also, Olivia is a particularly beautiful and talented individual <protective padding against big red button>

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 22:17:19

OP's just been reinstated it happy (Olivias post four posts above yours) grin grin

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:18:10

Ah, x post with Olivia again.

angry at being charged with being a spammer! I am a dedicated MNer, though on a little name change holiday at the mo.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Feb-13 22:20:05

CheddarGorgeous

Disclaimer: Mumsnet is great and you should only use this blocker if your life or livelihood are at risk.

Also, Olivia is a particularly beautiful and talented individual

Well. Quite.
<applauds loudly>
grin

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:20:10

CharlotteBronteSaurus Nooooooooooo! Don't tell me work arounds!

<sticks fingers in ears>

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Fri 22-Feb-13 22:43:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:46:24

Ooh two deletions in one night. Feeling badass now grin

Gone from virgin to slut in a matter of minutes.

AgentZigzag Fri 22-Feb-13 22:48:33

What did you say in your third post Cheddar?

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:52:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

almostanotherday Fri 22-Feb-13 22:54:50

Oooooo I really should use it, I would get more housework done but where's the fun in housework grin

CheddarGorgeous Fri 22-Feb-13 22:55:28

Definition: Take agin. Slang, Irish origins.

To dislike something immensely. E.g.

"Olivia took agin to Cheddar as she was quare rude."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now