To think schools do not realise hassle of dress up days?

(245 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 10:34:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LondonBus Fri 22-Feb-13 19:02:37

<<Applauds MareeyaDolores>>

I was on the PTA with another mum; we both had DSs with undiagnosed aspergers/autism. The other mums hated us for trying to boycott their "fun", charity raising dress up days. grin
I learned to keep my DS at home on dress up days, the other mum sent hers in in school uniform.

ByTheWay1 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:04:43

My girls love Harry Potter - so both tend to go to most stuff as Hermione - cheap black cape and crimped hair, with a stick for a wand.

Our "kit" for dress up as a Victorian/Roman/Tudor or school play stalwart of knight/merry man/peasant is a "tunic" made from a "grandad" collar T-shirt (their dad's) - rope for a belt, black leggings wound with criss cross string and boots.

That plus a red T shirt and a white sheet has seen us through every dress up day /school play for the past 7 years

LondonBus Fri 22-Feb-13 19:04:44

Saisnbury's seem to have cottoned on to World Book Day quite well this year and have loads of costumes atm, such as golilocks, little red riding hood, the gruffalo, cat in the hat. Most of them only go up to age 7 though.

willesden Fri 22-Feb-13 19:32:43

A couple of girls in DDs class always wear their princess outfits for any dressing up day. Respect Day last week = princess outfit. World Book Day = princess outfit. Red Nose Day = princess outfit. I am thinking of following their lead. They seem to get away with it but knowing my luck the next dress up day will be Animal Day.

PrideOfChanur Fri 22-Feb-13 19:41:12

Maybe someone has answered this,but what is the point?? it isn't as if anyone is actually managing accurate Victorian/Egyptian/whatever - though ,I tell a lie,we managed pretty well on dress like an evacuee,as we are both old and when we looked at pictiures of evacuees it was pretty much what we wore as small children grin
That was for DS though,it would have been a nightmare for DD.
And Ds hated it and needed serious coaxing to get him into school...

morethanpotatoprints Fri 22-Feb-13 20:17:37

My dcs weren't very imaginative, they either wore football kits, princess dress, or where's Wally (my favourite).

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 22-Feb-13 20:23:40

Wow, Spoony!

MerryCouthyMows Fri 22-Feb-13 20:27:44

The best one I had was when DS2 had been off ill for 2 weeks. When I took him back to school on the Friday, I saw one of his classmates outside the supermarket opposite the school dressed up as a fucking insect.

I duly had to produce an insect or bug costume for an 'ugly bug ball' in approximately 10 minutes.

I managed it though - with the aid of a yellow vest top, black duck tape, an Alice band and some pipe cleaners!!

Instant bumble bee!

<<polishes halo>>

MerryCouthyMows Fri 22-Feb-13 20:29:12

(It WAS rather interesting attempting to stick black duck tape to a wriggly 5yo in public though...)

Littlefish Fri 22-Feb-13 20:37:47

My school only does 3 dressing up days a year, and we try and give a month's notice each time. I hate dressing up though, and unfortunately the Next dressing up day is Superheroes. I ask you, fucking superheroes. I have 32JJ breasts and a large arse. There is no way I am wearing Lycra!

Any ideas anyone?

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Fri 22-Feb-13 20:41:28

Grey spray for hair, checked skirt, twinsets and pearls = SuperGran

heronsfly Fri 22-Feb-13 20:48:53

YADNBU, I hate them,my children hate them, my cousin is a primary school teacher and she hates them because the kids are unsettled and hyped up all day,in fact they are not really popular with anyone at our school I wonder who decides they have to be done ?

ThePinkOcelot Fri 22-Feb-13 20:49:31

YANBU!!!! Its a bloody PITA!!!

Littlefish Fri 22-Feb-13 21:15:29

TheDoctrine - that's brilliant, thank you!

Perriwinkle Fri 22-Feb-13 21:29:16

YANBU I'm so glad my DS is no longer at primary school and we no longer have to endure these bloody dressing up days - they used to dress up for everything - Children in Need, Red Nose Day, International Book Day, not to mention ad hoc days when it seemed like a good idea because it fitted in with some aspect of the curriculum - Tudor Day, Victorian Day etc etc. Not to mention days when it was not a full dress up but just a special customised hat or some such. They were the bane of my life!

I can always remember the teacher saying "oh you don't have to go to too much trouble"- yeah right! You used to arrive and it seemed like everyone had had a fully qualified tailor and/or seamstress on the case for a month carefully crafting the costumes.

Been there, done that, got the bloody tee shirt. Glad to have moved on.

MrsAyrtonSenna Fri 22-Feb-13 21:36:15

Our next one - on Thursday - is going to be............. wait for it... mythical creatures!!! Gorgon anyone? Minotaur? or shall I just stick with a phoenix or a cyclops. Kids dont like dressing up anyway and say they feel 'silly' so am smiling through the panic!! Heigh-ho off to find pipe cleaners and sticky back plastic and anything else we can cobble an outfit together with..........

shesariver Fri 22-Feb-13 21:48:12

I never get these, thanks to lack of time and money, and usually notice neither does my DS! The time I remember getting at least a few days notice was when I sent him in jeans and a T shirt as George from a Roald Dahl book. The Christmas dressing up day I had 30 minutes notice (I really should check the school bag more often grin), I dressed him in my green T shirt and wrapped some battery operated fairy lights and a bit of tinsel round his arms and body and sent him as a Christmas tree, thought that was quite inspired!

shesariver Fri 22-Feb-13 21:55:10

Mythical creatures??? Good god! Im sure I just happen to have a few of those costumes lying no!

MaterFacit Fri 22-Feb-13 22:07:29

MrsAyrton - white sheet + plastic snakes tied to headband = medusa

-green clothes plus a few green paper leaves - nature sprite
-green top, brown trousers+ tail and horns on headband- Pan/satyr
-tunic and trousers +eye drawn on forehead-cyclops
-axe and beard -dwarf
-ordinary clothes and a handful of small figures-giant

MerryCouthyMows Fri 22-Feb-13 22:10:26

Little fish - you could up as the superhero my 14yo DD has decided I am.

(Am also huge of tittage)

no way would I be wearing fecking Lycra either, it would give the school run dads a heart attack. And probably the HT too!

merrymouse Fri 22-Feb-13 23:02:53

I used to hate them. Luckily children now attend a school that doesn't do dressing up days. (Well, maybe they might do dressing up once every year or two in a very informal way if they children decide to organise it themselves for charity.)

Cringe when I remember them.

Can't think how it is supposed to help learning. Putting on a stripy top and wearing some onions for 'World Day' does not increase your understanding of being French when you are 5.

Absolutely agree that it is a nightmare if your child, for whatever reason, doesn't feel comfortable dressing up.

It's just what teachers/the head/the PTA do when they are completely uninspired - get the parents to dress their children up, so it at least looks as though something interesting is happening.

Samnella Fri 22-Feb-13 23:09:23

YANBU. Our school even had the teachers dressing up as Victorians!

MerylStrop Fri 22-Feb-13 23:13:00

I once burst into tears (on the shoulder of the Afterschool Club Leader) when, 7 months pregnant, I picked up my DS at 6pm, after a 10 hour working day, to find a note that said the school at the eleventh freaking hour had decided that World Book Day was actually on after all. The next day.

I don't know why they just can't take their favourite book for book day. And give a quid for the charity days.

Dress up days are just not really feasible without 2 weeks notice unless you are a wealthy, SAHP gifted at sewing.

ozymandiusking Fri 22-Feb-13 23:23:46

Why not talk to all the other like minded Mums,and just say NO! wer'e not doing it !

Samnella Fri 22-Feb-13 23:28:04

I also hate the 'please come in and watch our special assembly at 10AM on wednesday/join us in class to observe your child on parents day' type letters that give 48 hours notice if you are lucky. Listen up schools. I work full time. Strangely enough my boss is not too keen on me skipping off to listen to my daughter read a couple of sentences and I can't justify half a days holiday because then I can't cover the very long holidays they already have. I have a revelation. Lets all have one day per year the whole school comes in dressed up and the parents come in for the parents day/assembly/play blah, blah all on one day. Lets do it all on one day and then move on to wearing school uniform parents not having to drag themselves in at inconvenient times for the rest of the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now