To think schools do not realise hassle of dress up days?

(245 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 10:34:19

We will have had three in as many weeks!
China day
Victorian day
World book day

Each time ALL the other parents buy proper costumes, no one makes them, no home made attempts that used to win prizes for effort like my day so there is massive pressure to buy costumes or your child feels odd one out. They never fit the year after.

Our school is in a mixed social area from very poor to wealthy. It's a lot of pressure to find £10 for a costume each time for those on low income.

Dd s favourite book is Dork Diaries, I thought about sending her as the main character and amazing up normal clothes but dd won't as she will get called for no costume.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 22-Feb-13 14:16:13

Poor Old Bobby Shaftoe sad

ThatBintAgain Fri 22-Feb-13 14:18:07

YANBU.

Not only do I generally get about 4 hours notice to pull two costumes out of my ass, but I am usually asked to send in a donation for the pleasure. ("In return for letting the children dress up, could you send a small donation"!!) angry

MerryCouthyMows Fri 22-Feb-13 14:19:46

HA! YANBU!

I have 2 world book day costumes to make by the 7th March, AND 3 costumes to make for Red Nose Day on 13th March.

All whilst planning for DD's birthday on 8th March, starting treatment for early stage cervical cancer on 26th Feb, dealing with DS3's statementing process and diagnosis process, various medical appointments, fighting the Primary school to reinstate DS2 on SA+ after taking all his help away illegally, do DS3's DLA application, AND possibly having to compile an appeal to the Grammar school for DS1, who was severely ill with strep throat AND the start of appendicitis when he sat his 11+...

As if I've got time to be sewing fake poxy fur into a librarian costume...

TomArchersSausage Fri 22-Feb-13 14:20:01

I'm a sahm and still think theyre a monumental PITAgrin<no excuseblush>

Seriously though I'm always thinking to myself gawd alone knows how people who are working cope with this as I trawl Ebay and charity shops for the latest ooutfit. I take my (Victorian mop) cap off to you all.

MerryCouthyMows Fri 22-Feb-13 14:23:05

Our Secondary still has 2-3 PROPER 'costumed' or 'themed' dress up days a year. angry

Red Nose Day when they dress up in red, the leukaemia fundraiser they do in memory of DD's bf where they dress up in orange, and the breast cancer day are the main ones off the top of my head.

Still involve costumes!!

ENormaSnob Fri 22-Feb-13 14:33:05

I fucking hate them.

I have neither the time nor the creativity to scour charity shops and source sticky backed plastic.

They are just a monumental pain in the arse.

midastouch Fri 22-Feb-13 14:46:15

dress up days?? i didnt have these when i was at school. i get the world book day one, but what exactly is the point in dress up days??

I wish I was the sort of practical 1950's housewife the school seems to expect me to be, I really do ! It would make my life so much easier too !

As TomArcher says even though I'm not working ATM these are a monumental PITA !

MareeyaDolores Fri 22-Feb-13 15:47:39

YANBU. Rubbish if you work, rubbish if your dc are autistic, rubbish if you're skintight, rubbish if you're disorganised / clumsy.

And totally unfair on dc who have problems at home: extra stigma and pressure to put on a dc who is also a young carer, for example.

MareeyaDolores Fri 22-Feb-13 15:48:02

Erm skint not skintight blush

Snowgirl1 Fri 22-Feb-13 15:52:50

DD is nearly 14 months old and since she started NURSERY 5 months ago we've had dress up day for Halloween, Fireworks day, come as your favourite animal, Christmas, Valentines and next we have Red Nose Day. Fortunately, the children are at the age that they have no clue if they're dressed up or not and don't complain/feel left out if their parents haven't joined in. But I can see it being an issue as she gets older.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 22-Feb-13 16:21:47

What the everlovin' fuck??? This is the first I've heard of this. I guess it just wasn't done where we were up in Scotland.

I am utter rubbish at this shit. It takes immense effort on my part to get my kids to school on time, in school uniform, with packed lunches, with gym kit, and with homework bag. Maybe I'm just a shitty mum, but I really find that hard but I do manage it (mostly). If I were also expected to somehow pull a Victorian costume out of my ass, I think I could lose my mind.

Honestly, I'd probably write a scathing letter to the head teacher tell her that it's not fair that some kids have poor, lazy mums and that if my kid suffer on account of that, I'm gonna raise Hell.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 22-Feb-13 16:25:56

Juggling - that's exactly what my sons' school seems to expect too - a sewing, baking, 1950s housewife.

We get letters "please do come and hear the children read at 9.30 tomorrow" - or make cakes, do costumes, attend assembly every week at 3pm, do hope you can make it as the children love to see parents there.

Well of course they do. But parent in this case is busy teaching someone else's children.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 22-Feb-13 16:28:58

I really am a shitty mum: my attitude is very much "From 9:00-3:15, my kids are your responsibility. Please return them to me in one piece, literate and numerate. Kaythanxbye!"

hiddenhome Fri 22-Feb-13 16:49:46

I have a pathological loathing of dressing up and used to keep mine off when this particular torture took place. I had enough on just keeping body and soul together without adding more pressure on. I can't sew or make things either. Easter bonnets were bad enough, but costumes tipped me over the edge sad

Used to hate those days mine would always go as st trinain girls red nose day they would have a cheap red lippy blopped onto there nose.
Victorian day i made an aproan out out of a pillow case had hair in plaits with ribbions. dd2 got to wear same dd1. I used the same outfits each year for both dds throughout ks1 and ks2
Both dds never liked dressing up. Both were quite happy in uniform

TheDeadlyDonkey Fri 22-Feb-13 17:15:25

I really hate dress-up days, and school plays where we all have to find our own dc's costumes.
At the bottom of each letter, there is always a footnote: Please speak to a member of staff if you have any difficulties finding a costume.
When you speak to said member of staff, they suggest you go to the charity shop like everyone else.
Every time I have priced up suitable stuff to adapt for a costume, it has added up to nearly £10, and I refuse to spend that much on something that will be worn for one day only, then I come across as a moaning whinger at school.

MrsDeVere Fri 22-Feb-13 17:15:35

Hate them
I can do a brilliant captn jack (ds has dreads) and DrWho.

If its cant use them, it's a sodding nightmare.

Most kids turnip in spidermanor princess costumes anyway

Yy to the having kids with ASD too. Fecking hassle trying to persuade him that it's really ok not to wear school uniform hmm

AppleStroodles Fri 22-Feb-13 17:37:44

YANBU, we have 3 DC and it gets really expensive and time consuming. Once a year is fine, otherwise the school should provide the costumes!

DyeInTheEar Fri 22-Feb-13 17:42:41

I'm shit at making stuff. Any stuff. I had to make mouse ears and got DH to do it after I fucked it up for the 4th time. I happily gave up art and all things creative at GCSE and was gutted to discover when I became a mother that I was expected to make things with / for my DCs. I don't find it remotely enjoyable and do not get crafts. I watched Kirstie Allsop's "Let's all make and sew things" in confusion.

YANBU. I've got it for years to come too <looks at sleeping 10 week old>

missmapp Fri 22-Feb-13 17:50:48

I hate them as a parent and as a teacher

As a parent, it takes ages and is always on the worst possible day

as a teacher, the kids come in wound up and unfocused all day

BAn them all!!

Mirage Fri 22-Feb-13 18:25:37

My two have just announced WBD whilst I was reading this.I can sew,but hate having to make/bodge something at short notice.We have WBD,Red Nose Day,Victorian Day,Tudor Day,dress as someone from Titanic day and they are just the ones I can remember.A real waste of time and money IMO.

Redcape Fri 22-Feb-13 18:35:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

If noone else has mentioned it, make sure the costume has lots of glitter so it gets all over the school. It might put a dampener on the dressing up.

That said, we have got a lot of use out of a couple of capes I made and some simple muslin pirate shirts like this www.costumesofnashua.com/CNWebSite105/Active905/Pages/Shirts/PicShirt/ShirtA26251.jpg (all rectangles, gathered at top, took maybe 15 minutes to make). They have been used in at least ten years worth of various costumes, knights, peasants, kings, pirates etc.

The biscuit though was the day when #1 son (in high school) came home after being back to school after being sick to tell me "I need to be dressed like Cardinal Richelieu tomorrow, it is a big part of my grade" and #2 son piped up "I have to dress like Amerigo Vespucci tomorrow".

Argh. That was a fraught night which was not improved by having to work with very slippery satin. Thank goodness for the pirate shirts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now