To think schools do not realise hassle of dress up days?

(245 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 10:34:19

We will have had three in as many weeks!
China day
Victorian day
World book day

Each time ALL the other parents buy proper costumes, no one makes them, no home made attempts that used to win prizes for effort like my day so there is massive pressure to buy costumes or your child feels odd one out. They never fit the year after.

Our school is in a mixed social area from very poor to wealthy. It's a lot of pressure to find £10 for a costume each time for those on low income.

Dd s favourite book is Dork Diaries, I thought about sending her as the main character and amazing up normal clothes but dd won't as she will get called for no costume.

Startail Fri 22-Feb-13 12:29:19

The only sensible dressing up day is jeans for genes day, everyone except DH can cope with that (DH hates jeans).

OutsideOverThere Fri 22-Feb-13 12:30:06

I find them really hard work especially as we normally get two days notice.

If they gave us a few weeks it would be fine. I might even sew something, I might enjoy putting something together.

But if you don't have masses of dosh, you need time. It's a creative process.

steppemum Fri 22-Feb-13 12:31:51

oh yes - just send them in in the colours of the Indian flag - green orange and white.

I think between 3 dcs we had white pe shirts and one orange t-shirt, nothing else.

someoftheabove Fri 22-Feb-13 12:32:59

It irks me because it's one more way the haves and have-notes get identified in school. One child comes in for Victorian day in a black crinoline dress, lace collar, mob cap and apron, while someone else turns up in school uniform with the trousers rolled up.

someoftheabove Fri 22-Feb-13 12:33:41

*have-nots

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 22-Feb-13 12:39:43

Agree with Outside - I need at least a weekend for notice, as I cannot get to the shops in the week for supplies.

Children in Need was tricky - two days notice for "spotty". Boys do not have spotty clothes - in the end we drew on white t-shirts with Sharpies.

dikkertjedap Fri 22-Feb-13 12:41:59

YADNBU - I love sewing and I enjoy making costumes. But it is time consuming and if you don't have the right materials you need to look for them/buy them, so it isn't always cheap either.

Could you put a message on your local mumsnet board to see if you can borrow or rent at a good price from a local person?

clickityclackity Fri 22-Feb-13 12:48:11

I appreciate you raising this. I found them a real trial when I was broke and not working. I couldn't sew, so it meant going out and spending up to 15 quid each time for something my child would only wear a couple of times.

Astr0naut Fri 22-Feb-13 12:48:44

Wish we could do them in high school. We don't even have non-uniform days. sad

On the other hand, I am discovering the hell of constantly finding costumes for a 1 and 3 year old in nursery. It's red day, spotty day, dress like a king day...

I make sure we always have £1 white tshirts that fit all 3 children. You can get a long way by drawing on a tshirt!

Dd's class had "ancient greece" day last term - that turned into "wear a sheet to school day" so that was fine. I knew I was right not to get rid of the old cot sheets ...

We did ask school about getting parents to donate costumes after dress-up days, school plays, nativities etc. No room to store them, apparently.

MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 13:01:36

It wouldn't be as bad with notice tbh but even though I know it's wbd in a couple of weeks we haven't been told the theme! So I can't buy anything in case it doesn't fit the theme.

DeWe Fri 22-Feb-13 13:05:19

Actually I like them (sewer here) but we get very few.

What we do get is "wear blue/red/spots/stripes...", which is inevitably a colour/type we don't have and end up paying out for something.

And the last time we had a competition dress up at school (famous British characters) they unaccountably decided to vote in classes on it. In both my dc classes it went to someone who hadn't even bothered to dress up as a character confused. Felt really sorry for some of the dc who had made real efforts (mine hadn't really, just taken stuff we already had, so I didn't feel they'd really deserved it) in who they'd tried to dress up as, and it turned out to be a popularity contest. sad

MariusEarlobe Fri 22-Feb-13 13:05:34

I have a yellow t-shirt, green t-shirt, red trousers and spotty trousers purely as a result of dress up days.

MaterFacit Fri 22-Feb-13 13:19:45

DD's school had them much more regularly when she first started and it was hugely competitive (some quite wealthy and pushy parents). Now there are only three or four a year which is much more manageable.

The thing that changed the head's mind was the dress as a historical figure day when some year 6 girls came in dressed in historically accurate eighteenth century costumes, complete with massive wigs and wide hooped skirts. And the complaints he got from the parents when the children came home in borrowed school uniform (they couldn't fit in the toilet cubicles or even some doors).

BitOutOfPractice Fri 22-Feb-13 13:26:19

littlemachine I really laughed at "the Bobby Shaftoe/tinfoil knee buckles debacle" and neeeeeeed to know more!!

OP, YANBU I absolutely bloody HATE these things with a passion

OutsideOverThere Fri 22-Feb-13 13:31:25

I actually used to save material before I had children, so I could use it for costumes etc - how sad is that. And now I have kids I have no time to do anything with it.

last time we had a dressing up day each class had to wear one colour - ours was pink. I have three boys. Do we have anything pink? Do we buffalo. And two days to find something! It's really unfair.

OutsideOverThere Fri 22-Feb-13 13:34:48

Ref the social divide - very true sad

And r ef donkey costumes - ds had to be something Egyptian and all we could think of was the horse's head one, and so we cut the head off our poor old knackered rocking horse, took the cover off and tried to put it on his head.

It kept sliding off to one side. He also had a sheet with a hole cut in the middle, and one of my bracelets which I didn't get back for about two terms when it turned up in the lost property.

Oh BitOut, if the teacher can't get it right who can?!

It was nursery rhyme themed WBD, and I ordered a Bo Peep costume from fancydressnightsout.com or something because they had quick postage. It came the night before and when I went to put it on in the morning it was a 'sexy' Bo Peep. I was baffled by the shortness and the garter. I think some women wear them on hen parties.

Anyway I had about 15 minutes to make a costume, and I wear lots of nautical clothing so I thought 'Oh I know! Bobby Shaftoe! He went to sea.' I put on some nautical clothes and fashioned some giant tinfoil buckles for my knees and stapled them to my shorts.
Drew some tattoos on with face paint. Well, eyeliner.

Was quite proud. Until all parents, children and colleagues were like 'Who the fuck is Bobby Shaftoe?!'

I defiantly taught the children the nursery rhyme, claiming 'It's my favourite.'

I was finally completely deflated when the school nurse came in to do weigh in and said 'Oo! Are you Amy Winehouse?' Since when did Amy Winehouse wear GIANT SILVER BUCKLES ON HER KNEE?!

LeeCoakley Fri 22-Feb-13 13:58:05

I HATE them! Us staff always have to dress up if the children are. I have no imagination and no clue ever what to wear. Sometimes the individual teachers decide what they are going as and us TAs have to dress in a supporting role with a day's notice hmm. E.g. one year my teacher was Alice in Wonderland so I had 24 hours to cobble together a White Rabbit outfit. Another year, my teacher got a parent to make her a costume which took a few weeks, then expected me to make myself something identical in a few days! I was Wally last year so might drag out the Primark striped top again. Is my enthusiasm coming through loud and clear? grin

meddie Fri 22-Feb-13 14:10:43

Its the lack of notice that used to annoy me. We would get a letter on the friday for monday for victorian day, world book day or whatever they had decided. I work fri/sat/sun nights so it was a real problem. I dreaded them

TomArchersSausage Fri 22-Feb-13 14:11:21

When they go to seconadary school I heave a sigh of relief because it all stops.

Dd1's senior school manages to do a magnificent job of teaching imaginatively all without the aid of dressing up and constantly badgering parents for things. I can't understand how they can do it but Primary can't.

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:12:46

I quite like them, not that I'm the creative type, but my daughter really enjoys getting involved and it breaks up the usual routine and adds a bit of fun to a school day.Good idea about an outfit exchange, over the years we have accumulated many outfits which are in the bottom of the wardrobe. Found you story hilarious Littlemachine

insanityscratching Fri 22-Feb-13 14:14:30

Dd's school do them for fundraisers but they are always simple and easily accessible so don't seem a pain and every member of staff from the HT to the dinnerladies join in too. The last one was a pyjama day to raise money for equipment for a child in reception, then there has been denim day, wear something spotty, wear red, come in sports gear etc. For book day the school send out a list of simple suggestions that don't cost money and prizes are always awarded to simple home made costumes rather than the spectacular bought ones.

TomArchersSausage Fri 22-Feb-13 14:14:37

ROFL at 'Are you Amy Winehouse'grin

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 22-Feb-13 14:14:56

A couple of years ago I raised the same issue on MN and got slated! The main opinion was that teachers tried so hard for the kids etc etc etc (and I have no doubt at all that they do!) but dress up days are a monumental fucking pain in the arse for me because I work full time and to find costumes is a nightmare for me.

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now