to think Prometheus was a rubbish film?

(88 Posts)
Jux Thu 21-Feb-13 23:23:13

The first tiny bit where the Earth is seeded with DNA was the best bit, and perhaps, the last few seconds, where the Alien of good films is born, was OK. Everything in between was crap.

So glad I only paid a couple of quid to borrow the DVD, instead of paying through the nose for the cinema as dh and I had intended to do.

Ridley Scot, you should be ashamed. ASHAMED. I am very cross with you, and I shall think twice before I bother with another film from you.

Squitten Fri 22-Feb-13 10:21:39

We're big fans of the Alien films but we thought it was utter tosh. If it hadn't been for Michael Fassbender's general creepy awesomeness there would have been nothing good in it at all.

TheSmallPrint Fri 22-Feb-13 10:22:13

No Good actors??? Excuuuuuuuuuse me I think you'll find that Michael Fassbender is bloody gorgeous noramally a most excellent actor as is Idris Elba. But the film was shit.

OxfordBags Fri 22-Feb-13 10:23:41

And how blatantly did they signal a sequel by having Guy Pierce play the old geezer? If there aren't going to be future flashbacks to his youth, why not use an actual elderly actor?!

TheSmallPrint Fri 22-Feb-13 10:25:17

yum

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 22-Feb-13 10:25:45

I havent seen it, been told it was shit, even the pant wettingly handsome Michael Fassbender cant make me watch it.

It was complete and utter shite.

No plot, terrible script, completely nonsensical behaviour from the characters and no attempts made to explain any of it.

Ridley Scott needs a good talking to angry

OxfordBags Fri 22-Feb-13 10:26:47

TheSmallPrint, everyone in it is a good actor, especially Fassbender, I concur. But apart from him, they were mostly crap in it, especially Charlize Theron. It's not their fault; you can't put lipstick on a pig!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 22-Feb-13 10:27:00

Small Im glad im not the only one who finds Michael Fassbender edible, oh the things i'd do to him.

TheSmallPrint Fri 22-Feb-13 10:28:04

I'd watch any old shite that Fassy was in tbh! Greg, you have excellent taste my friend! grin

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 22-Feb-13 10:29:32

Small It was Xmen that did it, him speaking german.....i will stop now.

TheSmallPrint Fri 22-Feb-13 10:31:16

He is very edible in that I agree <fans self>.

BelfastBloke Fri 22-Feb-13 10:33:12

What do you mean, "were the unknown actors deliberate?"

Which actors didn't you know? Pretty good, experienced cast, I'd've said, from a decent range of interesting films.

RedwingOnFire Fri 22-Feb-13 10:33:27

It was angry-makingly ridiculous!!

I love this Honest Trailer of it! Makes me laugh!!

RedwingOnFire Fri 22-Feb-13 10:35:07

Obviously the above link contains all the spoilers!

DadOnIce Fri 22-Feb-13 10:36:14

You may enjoy this - Prometheus title sequence as if it was a 90s TV show!

GregBishopsBottomBitch Fri 22-Feb-13 10:39:45

Red That was hilarious, and the reason i'll never watch it, i noticed they didnt say much about Fassie.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 22-Feb-13 10:40:01

Lots of good actors in a shitty script. Where did the bag come from to put Fassbender's head in? When the big thing was falling down why didn't Noomi Rapace just run 10 feet to the side?

Pile o shite.

TheSmallPrint Fri 22-Feb-13 10:41:28

That honest trailer is hilarious! grin

RedwingOnFire Fri 22-Feb-13 10:42:14

DadOnIce wow! That's cool! I want to watch THAT show!!

FrameyMcFrame Fri 22-Feb-13 10:43:39

Oh dear I loved it but seem to be in the minority here...

I'm a sucker for any film where the lead is a strong woman though, and her performance was amazing.

Trills Fri 22-Feb-13 10:45:49

Did you know that Mumsnet has a Movie reviews section? smile

YANBU, because it is never unreasonable to dislike a film.

I disagree, but that doesn't make it unreasonable.

MoreBeta Fri 22-Feb-13 10:52:45

These sort of films are so formulaic but the studios make them because they are a low risk investment. It is about business not art.

They pick a genre that is popular with the public, hire a great director, hire a roster of great actors, push the film through their worldwide marketing distribution machine and they make some money. They also inevitably make a bad film.

Ridley Scott did a fantastic job with Blade Runner but based on fabulous classic SciFi book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - which may just be the best or worst ever book title).

Its easy to see why he was hired for the job but I woudl not blame him or the actors.

BelfastBloke Fri 22-Feb-13 11:01:57

"*TrillianAstra*: Guard of the Concept of Unreasonableness."

It's good to know she's out there, policing AIBU for all us pedants.

Trills Fri 22-Feb-13 11:08:59

Hi BB, haven't seen you for aaaages.

Is it the science fiction that brings you out?

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Feb-13 11:11:01

I would tell you but I fell asleep. I usually fall asleep though. I even fell asleep during the last Bond film in the cinema with a full audience of shriekers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now