Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the "reusable nappy crew" are on par with the "breastfeeding only crew" when it comes to hysteria?

(351 Posts)
DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:00:40

They both come out with that old chestnut "it doesn't take extra time or energy".

The reusable nappy crew keep emphasising how much money they save. How the disposable nappy parents are "harming the environment" with their non-biodegradable nappies and baby poo.

They try to make disposable nappy parents feel bad IMO. The same way those breast feeding mad mothers do.

Schooldidi Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:11

I bfed both mine til they were over 1 (dd2 was almost 3 byt the time she stopped). Dd2 was also in cloth nappies.

I never mentioned it to anyone who hadn't asked about it first. The only conversations I ever had about cloth nappies were with other people who were using them and we asked each other for advice about various aspects, I found those conversations immensely boring and would rather not have had them.

I hope I'm not one of the mothers you are talking about? I'm perfectly normal thanks.

My aunt on the other hand, she may well be one of the mothers you're talking about, she's evangelical about the whole mother earth childrearing thing. If that works for her then that's great but I don't like the way she talks down to anybody making different choices to her. I don't like the way my friend talked down to me about how much more complicated I was making my life by using washable nappies. I didn't like the way my ex sil told me it was disgusting for me to bf outside my own home, or that i was perverted for wanting a baby sucking on my tits. Should I tar everybody who didn't bf, or used disposables with the same brush as them? I chose not to, because I realise that everybody is different and I just happen to know some right twats.

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:26

Where did anyone say that? hmm

bumperella Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:32

So, you met one person today who lectured you about the benefits of cloth nappies, which has pissed you off.....but from that annoyance you invent a "reusable nappy crew" out to make folk who use disposables "feel bad".

Right.

MummytoMog Wed 20-Feb-13 21:54:40

I use reusable nappies, which given I have a three and a half year old still in the fuckers, certainly has saved me money. It isn't much more time and effort really. What pisses me off is all the people who say 'oh my mate/sister/colleague/dog tried reusable nappies and they leaked everywhere and were shit' and then tell everyone else that reusable nappies are shit when they haven't even tried them themselves. Fuckwits. Disposables have their place, I use them when we're out and about as a rule, but I like Terries and they're bleeding cheap.

Booyhoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:55:31

"I have had a very long lecture today though about how I'm harming the environment and that reusables are so easy and "kinder" to use. Not a friend, just someone I bump into sometimes on a Wednesday evening. "

that's just one person with an issue though. why would you assume all re-usable users are the same?

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:56:16

worra good idea!

mumandboys, I don't want people telling me and making me feel guilty for something that I choose to do. When I chose to give my dc formula after 10 months, that was MY choice. Why should anyone come and judge anyone for the choices they make? It makes them sound smug and snotty.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:57:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stargirl1701 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:58:00

Worra gringringringringrin

Why does it bother you, OP? I find, if genuinely don't care about a subject then my response is, meh.

If it is something that bothers me, I get excised about it.

Why start a thread unless you care about using disposables/not using cloth?

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:58:01

I've also had a few smaller lectures in the past booyhoo from a few other people at baby meet ups. This one took the biscuit today.

Booyhoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:59:43

OP you'll only feel guilty if you choose to. regardless of anyone else's intention to make you feel guilty, they only succeed if you accept that you should be guilty. which you shouldn't, so dont accept the guilt. it isn't yours.

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 22:00:56

mintyy the only person wound up is you...(and me to a lesser extent, but that's for a different reason).

Why don't you point to the ceiling, point to the floor, point to the window, point to the door. Clap your hands together 1,2,3, put your hands upon your knees.

There you go...hope that's unwound you a bit.

Schooldidi Wed 20-Feb-13 22:04:00

I've had lectures about all sorts of things. I don't automatically asssume that everyone who does those things is likely to give me a lecture. I assume I've met someone who wants everyone to be jsut as passionate about their 'thing' as they are. I also assume they'll be a bit boring and I won't really want to be their friend.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Feb-13 22:04:02

AHEM

thezebrawearspurple Wed 20-Feb-13 22:04:49

They do have a point about the environment though, I admit to using disposable nappies because I'm incredibly squeamish about poo and am too lazy to do all that washing! It's actually frightening to think of all the nappies we've gone through and multiply it by all the millions of other people using the same each yearshock

Shagmundfreud Wed 20-Feb-13 22:05:07

"I don't want people telling me and making me feel guilty for something that I choose to do"

If the polluting disposable nappy hat fits, wear it.

Embrace your guilt about being a selfish, lazy, environmental vandal. T'is better than fighting it and trying to blame other people for your absolutely deserved and rational feelings of culpability for helping to create landfill sites.

Smooshy Wed 20-Feb-13 22:05:19

You're all talking about shit.

YouTheCat Wed 20-Feb-13 22:06:32

Thankyou, Shagmund, for really illustrating the point there.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 20-Feb-13 22:07:26

I am not wound up, not in the tiniest bit, truly.

I just don't want to see you getting away with this fuckwittery.

Especially not when HQ are practically begging us to report threads like yours.

It now boils down to an acquaintance having a go at you on Wednesday night for not using reusables. Am I correct?

But you have translated this to there being a "reusable nappy crew" and a "breastfeeding only crew"?

And in order to express your supposed feelings about this you have felt the need to hide behind a namechange.

Its just not on, really, is it?

Shagmundfreud Wed 20-Feb-13 22:07:34

Being disapproved of by other people who make more responsible choices is part of the price you pay for the convenience of using chuck away nappies.

Accept it and move on.

LlamateurDramatics Wed 20-Feb-13 22:09:08

I'm one of 'those' people who extended bf, use use reusable nappies, cosleep etc etc etc. I couldn't give fifty shades of shiny shite what other people do, I tend to find people more judgemental about my parenting choices than the other way around so from my point of view YABU.

MummytoMog Wed 20-Feb-13 22:09:57

Secretly I feel like this^

I don't lecture people though, it's their choice, just like it's mine to secretly chuck away recyclables because I hate washing them out...

MummytoMog Wed 20-Feb-13 22:10:42

Like Shagmund that is, not nice and reasonable like Llama wink

Shagmundfreud Wed 20-Feb-13 22:10:48

Seriously - what is it with you young-uns?

Listen - guilt is good. If you feel guilty it's usually because you've DONE SOMETHING WRONG. That's how it works.

Stop bloody complaining.

<meh>

DisposableNappy Wed 20-Feb-13 22:10:50

Shagmund, do you tell your friends who drive cars that they're harming th environment? Or do you tell people who spray aerosols they're harming the environment? What about people who leave cigarette butts everywhere? Do we have a right to lecture them too?

Nappies are not the only thing hurting the environment.

babanouche Wed 20-Feb-13 22:11:37

YABU

I breastfed til lo was nearly 3 and I used disposables all the way. Never felt judged for either of those choices. People who feel they're being judged often enough to post about it need to grow a thicker skin. If you're happy with your choices who cares what others think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now