Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think 4 hours isn't that long a wait in A&E

(77 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Feb-13 19:46:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trinity0097 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:48:09

If you read the article it says she was on the trolley not in a ward for 9 hours, with dementia!

CloudsAndTrees Wed 20-Feb-13 19:51:05

I disagree. Four hours wait is far too long, and the fact that other people frequently have to wait that long and even longer in worse conditions doesn't make it ok. No one should have to wait that long when they are in need and already in a hospital.

It's horrible that anyone has to wait more than an hour in A&E, with the amount of tax we pay in this country, we deserve a much much better health service.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Feb-13 19:55:31

Angelfootprints Wed 20-Feb-13 19:55:42

YABU

Poor lady.

magimedi Wed 20-Feb-13 19:57:23

The problem is that if the wait in A&E was a lot shorter you'd have even more tossers going there with a sore throat.

meddie Wed 20-Feb-13 19:59:18

It isnt that long. She might have needed tests doing for her UTI and therefore would have to wait on lab results.
She was monitored. she only has mild dementia as she lives at home and looks after herself so cant be that bad.
There might have been no beds available at the time she attended and they were waiting to free one up.
There could have been emergencies going on in Majors which take priority.
You dont know what is going on behind the scenes.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 20-Feb-13 19:59:45

Spot on Magi, the tossers that go in for every minor thing, its called A and E for a reason, either its an accident or emergency.

But unfortunately there will be more A&E admissions if patients can't see there GP or get a GP home to them.

I know as a HealthCare Professional that each visit a patient makes to A&E costs the GP surgery ££ so they ask patients to use Out of Hours and PolyClinics..

But it is getting more and more difficult to get appointments.
And who really wants to be sitting in A&E? Especially on a weekend?

Bluestocking Wed 20-Feb-13 20:05:12

Love the quote from the patient about the wait taking years off her life. She's ninety - how long does she expect to live?
I have no patience with the DM's anti-NHS schtick - the DM's owners must be involved with the private health care companies who stand to make a fortune out of our accidents and illnesses one the NHS is dismantled.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 20-Feb-13 20:06:12

My DD had an accident at school, in which she had a small gash inbetween her eyebrows, i luckily managed to get her to the GP surgery to have her seen too, as i couldnt bare to make DD wait in the hospital, just to have some butterfly stitches on.

AbbyCat Wed 20-Feb-13 20:09:05

The 4h wait is just another gov target. I remember when it way introduced. Various trusts rushed around redesigning wards / adding portacabin wards so they could ship patients off to these temporary holding bays. This way they were no longer in a&e and targets were met. The patients however were not in a better place as these wards are typically run by junior doctors.

The staff were probably gossiping about their nights out, eating chocolates, unplugging the alarms buttons and hiding away in the Nurses Station if you believe the Daily Fail comments.
Throwing their hands up at the thought of taking a patient to the toilet while the Managers count paperclips, push pencils and walk about with clipboards looking important.
If only we could Bring Back Matron...
hmm hmm hmm

Good job I don't take it to heart, it'd drive us all mad.

maddening Wed 20-Feb-13 20:11:00

The out of hours dr is fab - when ds was little it was much better than going to a&e and you get an appointment - so can stay at home and go in in time rather than in a waiting room - a triage nurse asseses over the phone so if it were an a&e visit she would advise you and probably let them know you're coming. The office is situated by a&e so again if the dr says you need urgent treatment then you are right there.

Both times I've been - once for myself - we were given the course of medication for free right there.

PlentyOfFreeTime Wed 20-Feb-13 20:21:35

I coughed up blood after a lung biopsy and NHS Direct told me to go to A&E and to call an ambulance if necessary.

Friend drove me to A&E and within an hour I'd had chest x-ray, blood tests, blood presure and temperature taken.

I used to moan about A&E but this visit proved to me that if they suspect you have something seriously wrong they don't waste time.

TheFallenNinja Wed 20-Feb-13 20:21:45

I guess it's relative really. Saturday night you'd reasonably expect it but in the week perhaps not so much.

It also depends on whether this was genuinely and emergency or people that try to not use their GP and go straight to the hospital.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Feb-13 20:22:18

TheFallenNinja Wed 20-Feb-13 20:25:39

I wonder where this army of Matron are? Are they lurking around outside Boots wearing hoodies, buying antiseptic spray and clipping naughty kids round the ear?

kinkyfuckery Wed 20-Feb-13 20:28:39

YABU.

I feel sick at the thought of that being my grandparent, or parent a few years from now!

Oh they did better than that at my local A&E, AbbyCat - they introduced a ticket system so when you got there you took a ticket like at the DSS or the supermarket deli and they wouldn't even book you in until they were sure they could see you within the 4 hours. I don't know if it's still in operation as we haven't had to visit for a few years now.

MsNobodyAgain Wed 20-Feb-13 20:30:15

YABU

I dont think it is acceptable. Just because we are used to it doesnt mean we dont need to improve it.

Ooh, another Plenty! <waves> at PlentyOfFreeTime smile

yaimee Wed 20-Feb-13 20:34:52

Poor lady.
On 'mad friday' (Friday before Xmas) I waited 8 hours with a broken elbow, I work in a pub and had fallen at work completely sober, but new that I would be in for the long haul because it's infamously the busiest night for a&e! It was literally standing room only in casualty when I got there, with groups of drunken people sprawled all over the floor! I didn't mind waiting but there was a very elderly lady, on her own, slumped in a wheel chair, covered in her own vomit who was there for just as long as I was. I really didn't think that was good enough, no matter whether her condition was life threatening or not.

I think we undervalue the NHS so much. I went to a&e with chest pains, I was seen straight away and within an hour I was told I probably had gall stones and that I was experiencing Bilious Colic (sp) eventually yes I have been told I have gallstones. Yes I felt like an idiot but as I apologised I was told that I did the right thing. To me the NHS is something we need to fight for and not let 'Call me Dave' dismantle by the back door. I can imagine the AIBU posts 'My dd has a cough and the doctors wanted to charge me £100 before I set through the door? She has the pox I expect better treatment than this'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now