aibu to wonder if the chubby babies become the overweight children?

(109 Posts)
honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 18:15:12

Today me and ds went to our first "mummy group" all tge babies in the group were 2 months old. Ds is huge, he weighs 6.6 kg (almost 15 pounds) he is <97th percentile for weight.

I understand the logic of percentiles but when I see him amongst babies his own age and he so obviously much bigger I worry.

All the other babies looked like actual floppy soft babies with tiny little newborn clothes whereas ds sits up and tries to stand up, his 3-6 month babygrows are too small on tge legs and he fits best into his 6 month+ clothes.

It looked like we were in tge wrong group.

Ds is ebf and the Dr has said his weight/size isn't a problem. He did say at my last appointment "I assume his pappa is tall" which he isn't.

I was wondering if the chubby giant babies become the overweight children? I know someone has to be at the top of normal but I wonder with their focus on "following his own curve" will meen he ends up being the big child in the class?

I am intending to restrict ds's sugar intake and give him healthy meals cooked from scratch by my dp as that is what we eat anyway. We hope to have an active lifestyle.

Do I need to work especially hard to avoid ds becoming chubby in childhood? Any idea when I need to start to restrict calories?

maybunny Wed 20-Feb-13 19:18:02

I've read that it's virtually impossible to over feed an ebf baby so don't worry about that! 2 months is so young it's impossible to predict, but babies tend to go thru growth spurts where the weight piles on prior to their height catching up but it all levels out in then end - congratulations and enjoy your baby!

RainbowSpiral Wed 20-Feb-13 19:18:07

my first son was a hugely chubby and heavy baby until about 2. Now he is tall and thin at 11, certainly not overweight.

catus Wed 20-Feb-13 19:30:27

Don't worry! My MIL describes DH as a baby exactly like you do your baby. Big, tall, looking like a 6 months old at 2 months etc. He is now tall and of ideal proportions.

Beaverfeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 19:32:44

I was chubby baby and a chubby toddler.

I lost it all when I got to about 10 years old, so took a while.

I am now getting on for 28 and not overweight.

DH was also chubby as a child and is not overweight.

somewherewest Wed 20-Feb-13 19:33:23

I'm another ex-chubster who is now tall and thin. It almost seems anecdotally as if chubby babies end up being skinny adults

Juniper21 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:33:33

Both my sons were big chubby babies, on the 90th & 97th percentile respectively. Now my 20 year old is 5'11 and slim with broad shoulders and small waist, his brother is 18, 6'2 tall, very slim and could do with putting some weight on.

pashapasta Wed 20-Feb-13 19:33:53

DS. was a long skinny baby, a gigantic fat toddler and now a tall skinny, weed like 5 year old!

goldenlula Wed 20-Feb-13 19:35:25

Ds1 was a big baby at birth but slimmed down quickly, ds2 was big at birth and a chunky monkey for sometime, but now at 4.5 years he is actually just below average weight for his age and height.

DizzyHoneyBee Wed 20-Feb-13 19:37:28

One of mine was chubby as a baby (usually before she had a growth spurt), she's now a size 6 teenager.

QueenBee245 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:41:01

Ds is always mistaken for a child a year older than he actually is, he was born a big baby, was quite chubby as a young baby but now as pre/schooler he's lost the chubbiness and is just quite well solid if that makes sense, not worried about h becoming obese because he's so blood fussy I don't think that will be too much of an issue

Don't worry op, I could have written your post when both my dc were babies. They were both 11pound 4 born and both ebf.

Dd trended down almost immediately and she is now slender and average height. Ds stayed on the big side and at 7 he is taller than 9yr old dd, wearing size 11 clothes without a pick on him.

Matildaduck Wed 20-Feb-13 19:46:45

I had a 99 th centile bf baby. Always caused a stir at weigh in. Very solid toddler and now a lean 5 year old.

Don't worry about it, get used to it though, giant children always raise an eyebrow.

I'd say for my kids so far No. Older boys were both really chubby babies, couldn't even roll over blush they both stayed chubby till about 5 one is a bean pole and the other looks normal. Dd also a chubby baby she's just 8 and still has a bit of a belly, but it's the same size as last year so I think she's starting to lean out too.

meddie Wed 20-Feb-13 19:48:28

DS was 8and a half pound at birth, looked like a sumo wrsetler until he started walking. now he's so thin he whistles if its windy.

ivykaty44 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:48:44

Dd 1 was a chubby baby, not allowed sweets and eat proper food etc as she was my pub

By the time she was one she was twenty eight pounds

She stayed chubby till around two and then between two and three put on two pounds

She was a slim child by the time she started school and stayed slim

She is now five ft ten and nearly nine stone

Dd2 was different even though she was slightly heavier born, never as chubby

Both boys were in 99th percentile and Dd was 95th.

honeytea Wed 20-Feb-13 19:50:36

I wonder if ds is so big because he sleeps lots so maybe burns less calories? Anyone else noticed sleepy babies being bigger? I suppose if he spent more time awake and kicking/crying/wiggling he would use more energy.

VinegarDrinker Wed 20-Feb-13 19:52:08

In my family, chubby babies have gone on to become tall, skinny adults.

I am not sure if I've read your post wrong but did you say your 2 month old can sit up?! shock

Dd was sitting up totally unsupported by 10 weeks vinegar, not outside the realms of possibility!

ZenNudist Wed 20-Feb-13 19:54:27

God don't worry about it! Ds was 98th percentile. I never once saw it as anything other than a blessing. I ebf-ed and never worried that he wasn't getting enough. Now he is 2.5 he is still big but not fat. Very well proportioned, no actual rolls of fat.

I like it when he's bigger than another 3-4 yo. I guess it's just how you want to view things. I'd say be positive. If you start worrying about his food intake then you could give him a complex. I bet you as your ds gets older hell eat loads and stay slim. Just try and stop him eating unhealthy crap.

honey I had the enormous baby who couldn't fill herself up and therefore didn't sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time!

Dd1 was massive off the top of the chart for height and weight, she looked like a little sumo. She was even referred to hospital for a check but they advised to keep going as I was.
She is now 13 5ft 10 and size 10/12 and totally gorgeous, I did worry when she was a baby she'd always be big but it certainly didn't happen with her.

shellshock7 Wed 20-Feb-13 20:00:12

DS never sleeps really, now he does somewhere between 10 mins and an hour each day that's it! He has always slept 12 hours a night (not straight thru at the minute tho hmm) and hardly any in the day smile

Another one who was sitting up from 10 weeks, full head control at birth etc.

Jeebs Wed 20-Feb-13 20:02:03

DD was the huge baby in the post natal ward, above the 98th cential and barely fit into the plastic cots in the hospital.
At 3months she was 19lb and was in 6months+ clothes, everyone thought she was about 8 months and wondered why she wasn't doing what the other babies were doing.
At 28 months she's in 3-4 & 5-6yrs clothing, weighs just under 3stone and is just solid, with a tubby toddler belly. Not greedy, eats a lot of different food but will stop when she's had enough and will alternate with days of not eating.
Don't worry about him being big yet, he's doing fab x

Mrsrobertduvall Wed 20-Feb-13 20:03:21

Dd was a fat baby.
She is now 16, 6 feet tall and weighs nine stone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now