To ask you how the hell I'm meant to walk 10,000 steps a day?

(43 Posts)
Nombrechanger Mon 18-Feb-13 17:12:58

I am a very overweight (14 stone 6 Ibs) mother of two young boys.
I have lost just over a stone in weight but need to start exercising more as well as eating better.

I've just taken he kids out for the last 3.5 hours and walking around the entire time. I am home now and we are all tired.

I have walked around 7,000 steps - and can't physically walk the other 3,000 steps between now and bedtime.

AIBU to ask you healthy specimens how the buggering hell you do it?

Latara Mon 18-Feb-13 18:19:02

At work i'm on my feet walking round a ward for at least 7 hours a day, also i have restless legs so tend to walk round the house too. I would be interested to know how many steps i walk.

Good luck with the weight loss; 7000 steps is a good start x

Melissakitkat Mon 18-Feb-13 18:19:47

If I am under my 10,000 steps I walk up and down my living room whilst watching tv in the evening when dd is in bed. I look mad as its only 3 steps each way but can easily rack up another 5,000 steps on an evening and its better than me sitting there snacking x

orangeandlemons Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:54

I'm a teacher, I usually clock up about 12000 a day. Am too exhausted to move when I get home though.....

acceptableinthe80s Mon 18-Feb-13 18:25:29

It's actually easier than you think. I recently downloaded a pedometer app and am managing 5 miles most days.
It really is just a case of walking everywhere. I don't quite manage the 10000 on work days despite being on my feet all day but often manage more on my days off. Ds's nursery is 0.5 miles so 2 trips a day is 2 miles, then maybe a walk to supermarket/park/library.
I also get a slightly earlier bus to work and get off 3 stops before.
I've lost 8lb in the last 6 weeks doing this with no major diet changes.

And when you are tired of walking you can lie down on the floor and watch tv while doing crunches..... The longer you stay up the more you get to watch before you lie down again.....

And when you have had enough, you turn over and start doing push ups infront of the tv.....

(Dh does this, annoys the heck out of me..... There I am with a glass of wine, enjoying some quiet viewing, and there is doing crunches for an hour.... hmm )

MewlingQuim Mon 18-Feb-13 18:37:10

Well I walk to work and back (3 miles each way) then I walk the dog (2 miles) so that's about 8 miles a day. Thats not even counting walking about at work (I work in a hospital) and at home (chasing a toddler).

Don't drive, it saves a fortune in petrol/diesel too, I fill the car once every 3 months or so.

Walking is the only exercise I do since I got pregnant with DD, and I am now a stone lighter than when I conceived her.

lozster Mon 18-Feb-13 19:07:04

I did a corporate challenge where you logged your step total for flippin weeks. Colleagues doing the same job would claim to have notched up 5000 by 9.00am as they 'nipped out with the dog and ran around after the kids'. I would go for a walk at lunch then go to the gym and run 5k and I still couldn't get to 10000! It drove me nuts and I just had to conclude it wasn't accurate!

OddBoots Mon 18-Feb-13 19:09:36

Was that 3.5hours walking at the pace of your young boys? I don't get nearly as many steps when walking with small children as they are so slow!

acceptableinthe80s Mon 18-Feb-13 19:23:22

Yeah, childs pace is no good. I started putting on weight after going from pushing a buggy at a decent pace to walking with a toddler!
Get them on scooters/bikes as soon as you can. I have to practically jog to keep up with ds now.

Lovelygoldboots Mon 18-Feb-13 20:25:50

I was the same weight as you last year. I am now 12st 10lbs. It's taken me about six months. I stopped drinking alcohol completely (easier than I thought it would be) and cut out eating between meals. I was always pretty active and even when I was over fourteen stone could cycle ten miles in an hour. I think many large people are fit. I cut out drinking and sugary snacks because I was worried about diabetes. You will find as you lose weight exercise becomes easier and easier. Keep going but try something else. Cycling really works for me, swimming as well. Get your heart going and your endurance will improve.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 18-Feb-13 20:59:10

10,000 steps really isn't that much. If your stride is 18 inches, you need to cover 180,000 inches in a day. That's just over 3 miles, roughly 45 minutes - 1 hour of walking depending on speed.

How old are your boys?

squeakytoy Mon 18-Feb-13 21:02:11

If you have a wii and the wi fit, you can do steps on that.. I put a block of wood under the balance board to make it a bit higher.

You need to have it on all the time.

I have fitbit and most morning between getting up at 7am and taking the kids to school at 8.30am I walk 1000 steps just wandering backwards and forwards around the house. I go up and downstairs and average of 20 times a day.

I have had a very quite day today as dc are on half term and I have still done over 6000 steps just around the house.

ToomuchWaternotWine Tue 19-Feb-13 03:31:39

You need to wear it ALL the time properly, it won't register in your pocket!! It needs to be clipped as closely as possible to your hip joint to pick up the "swing" movement and register a step. I have done 2500 steps tonight between tea and my bedtime just moving around the house, up and down stairs to put washing away etc, so it certainly is possible!

You may need to get a new one? Get yourself the best pedometer you can afford. I got a cheapie (freebie from a friend) to start with and was very downhearted at the number it said. Got a much better one for Xmas and now I know I am doing well over 10,000!! I walk my dog twice a day and walk Ds to school and back also.

havingamadmoment Tue 19-Feb-13 04:59:12

I have one of those ones that has an app so you see the results over time. My average is about 12000 - 14000 on school days. It's a 30 minute walk to the school so that's 2 hours walking a day plus wandering about the house adds around 3000 ( which is my total on weekends if I don't go out!). I'm not sure how you were walking so long taking few steps unless you were wandering hitch involves standing still. Walking with a purpose (to get somewhere specific ) is probably easier to build it up can u wall to school/ work or to he bus rather than using a car or walk to the shops. Just lov

Montybojangles Tue 19-Feb-13 06:36:48

Look up Leslie sansone on YouTube. Will get you on your way.

NewAtThisMalarky Tue 19-Feb-13 06:45:35

I work in a sedentary job, and my tally for a normal day is usually 3500 to 4000 steps.

To get a fair tally, wear it all day - you might surprise yourself.

I wore one to work one night (I'm a nurse) and I did 20,000 steps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now