To think it really wasn't necessary for Myleene Klass to mention the 'Breastapo'?

(160 Posts)
UnknownGnome Mon 18-Feb-13 17:01:46

I was watching Lorraine this morning during which there was a feature which showed Myleene Klass visiting a third world country promoting the benefits of breastfeeding and raising awareness of the goodness of breastmilk, particularly colostrum. Formula is often watered down, or made with unclean water, therefore not the best option for many women, but they are not always aware of this.

Cut to Myleene in the studio with Kate Garraway and she is, again, talking about the benefits of breastfeeding but qualifies this by saying she is by no means a member of the 'breastapo'. Was this completely necessary? Surely it's ok to talk about the benefits of breastfeeding without making a negative comment about those who promote it?

Just realised that I haven't posed this as an AIBU, so, AIBU to think this was an unnecessary and unhelpful comment?

showtunesgirl Thu 21-Feb-13 16:25:51

Why is it people get so weird about BF or not BF? confused

Anyhoo, MK is all right. She's always been a bit shiny shiny even way back when I used to know her. She doesn't mean any harm and her little brother and sister whom I knew better are really nice too.

tiktok Thu 21-Feb-13 16:33:13

Chairman you're rewriting not paraphrasing there.

Never mind. Threads about a thread are bad mumsnetiquette. People tried to help you - they offered support and encouragement, but obviously they cannot know all the details about what happened to you. You call them 'blinkered idiots' - nice sad

showtunesgirl Thu 21-Feb-13 16:45:06

Nevermind tiktok, I luffs you anyway. thanks

Fillyjonk75 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:46:16

Myleene Klass isn't strictly necessary.

tiktok Thu 21-Feb-13 17:00:48

Big sloppy kiss (no tongues) for STG smile

tiktok Thu 21-Feb-13 17:10:48

Chairman, in order not to ignore the rudeness you experienced in real life, let me add it is obviously unacceptable and unpleasant. Obviously. No one is in favour of people being criticised or judged like that.

AngryGnome Fri 22-Feb-13 10:27:43

I think that the women who promote breastfeeding have a very hard job. Yes, there are a lot of failings in breastfeeding support - in my experience HCPs were shocking, and the NCT were not great. I think that there is a lot of pressure on women with the breast is best message, but there is not always the support there to back this up - I think this can be very dependent on the area where you live. As it seems that the main reason women do not start, or continue, with breasfeeding is because of a lack of support it seems very unfair to criticise and label those who give up their time (often as volunteers) to provide that support.

My experience was that a local community nursery nurse was excellent, and LLL were very helpful (although the advice they gave me I have since been told on here was actually 'wrong' - but hey, it worked for me and DS).

I have to say that in real life I have never encountered any kind of pressure to feed my baby in a particular way; it only seems to be on MN that there is such a hostile divide between mothers who bf and mothers who ff. I wonder if a lot of that open hostility is because we are on an anonymous forum? (should probably add that not all threads show this hostility - a lot are brilliant and supportive with great advice).

drizzlecake Fri 22-Feb-13 16:40:57

As it seems that the main reason women do not start, or continue, with breasfeeding is because of a lack of support

I would say it is also possibly that many don't feel comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding and doing it in front of people who have never seen anyone do it before (to any extent), it's just not a typical thing you come across in the Uk.
How many provocativley posed women showing cleavage and breasts do you see in a week, how many breast feeding?
So opening your clothing to reach a breast in public or even with extended family members around is not something they want to do. (not my experience by the way but I used to feed in the car if I was out)

drizzlecake Fri 22-Feb-13 16:51:35

I think this is mostly down to there being hundreds of thousands of guilty and defensive mothers out there. It's fertile ground for anti-breastfeeding propaganda and myth

Well what came first the guilt or the BFmafia?

Sad that we can't be more reasonable. What's notable is the absence of FF mums on these threads. So the majority of mothers dont' feel they can contribute to these threads - I think that that says it all - until that changes the BF proponents are preaching to the converted.

MrsBethel Fri 22-Feb-13 17:01:18

YABU
She was just encouraging a moderate approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now